Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 11, 2017, 10:31 AM - Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull: DONE PAGE 3 #1

Hello! I will be trying to replicate this skull from Mad Max Fury Road. It is on Mad Max's car that has been turned into the "Razor Cola". It should not be too difficult but was wondering if anyone could help me with the parts.

(Picture come from : https://www.behance.net/gallery/2665...-Max-Fury-Road)

Pretty basic right? Some metal and wire. For the metal I was thinking maybe lead sheet as it is easy to conform to odd surfaces, but not sure about that yet. I was hoping someone might know what those rivets are? The small ones aren't conventional rivets so maybe nails? And what are the bigger ones? I could make them if needed, but would like to use the real thing if possible. Another thing of course is what are the bars holding the lower jaw? I do not have many good pictures of this thing and would greatly appreciate any ones help or ideas if they have them!
    Last edited by DeLano80; Sep 7, 2017 at 9:24 PM.
    Mar 14, 2017, 12:35 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #2

A couple more reference photos. Shows the connection to the lower jaw better. I would like to use "real parts" instead of making them. Any body have any ideas?

From
    NW of Chicago, IL
    Mar 14, 2017, 5:45 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #3

The two long pieces connecting the lower jaw, look like the middle part of a turnbuckle.
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mar 14, 2017, 6:40 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #4

Looks like a real skull (or replica of) and custom made metal bits and wire. Those bolts look chunky. Like at least M10.
    Mar 14, 2017, 8:33 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #5

I have a skull coming. Unfortunately not my wife's.... Turnbuckle? Maybe. I will look into it. The rivet things also perplex me.
    From
    NW of Chicago, IL
    Mar 14, 2017, 11:44 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #6

The bigger beveled rivets look like purse feet to me. Something like this: https://www.buckleguy.com/40311-14mm...ld-separately/
    From
    Butler, PA (Just north of The Pitt)
    Mar 15, 2017, 8:55 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #7

The rivets look like upholstery tacks, you can pick them up at just about any craft store
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008236123760lg.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	714491
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqFHJEgFJ,MRDfgQBSYTuhfl0w~~_32.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	714492
    Oh and the pieces connecting the lower jaw are definitely the middle parts from turn buckles.
    Using lead for the metal straps is a great idea too, easy to work with since it's soft and since it's got more of a matte finish too it you won't have to work as much at weathering it
    Last edited by KlownOtheWastes; Mar 15, 2017 at 9:03 AM. Reason: afterthoughts
    Mar 15, 2017, 10:00 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #8

I am thinking You are correct on the turnbuckles. When my skull gets here I can scale it out.
    As for the small small rivets, I am thinking of solid domed rivets

The larger fasteners are still perplexing me...
    Last edited by DeLano80; Mar 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM.
  9. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Mar 15, 2017, 10:16 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #9

The skull looks like an ape/chimp skull of some sort to me. Cranium doesn't look tall enough to be human. The "teeth" look just like steel plate chopped and cut up. Steel wire looks like any you find at any hardware store; looks like maybe 16 gauge?

The large conical rivets dotting the skull are cone head/pan head/shoulder rivets. Just Google that and you'll find a bunch, dunno where to order them though. Alternatively, you could use cone head tacks, as well, but I don't know if they come in the sizes you're looking for.

If you can source right size nuts and bolts, with the turnbuckle, it should look really close to the actual thing.
    Last edited by PoopaPapaPalps; Mar 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM.
    Mar 15, 2017, 11:35 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #10

Crimson13 said: View Post
    The bigger beveled rivets look like purse feet to me. Something like this: https://www.buckleguy.com/40311-14mm...ld-separately/
    They certainly have the look don't they. Thank you, I will look at these.
    Mar 15, 2017, 12:09 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #11

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    Cranium doesn't look tall enough to be human.
    I kind of agree. With that brow, it looks kinda neanderthal, huh? I am sure they used replicas of skulls. And it would seem weird to me that they would use a primate skull. Monkeys are not indigenous to Australia, but you never know what they could use. A quick search did not yield anything. I sent the picture off to The Museum of Osteology. Maybe they will get back to me.
  12. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Mar 15, 2017, 1:53 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #12

DeLano80 said: View Post
    I kind of agree. With that brow, it looks kinda neanderthal, huh? I am sure they used replicas of skulls...
    I just did a quick search and it certainly seems to match up, size and proportion, to that. If you can find a replica, that may be your way to go.

EDIT: Positive they used a replica Neanderthal skull from eBay. Particualraly, this listing. The marks on the skull and chip in the jawline match. Hell, with all this research, I may have to attempt one myself now.

Last edited by PoopaPapaPalps; Mar 15, 2017 at 3:29 PM.
    Mar 15, 2017, 5:38 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #13

I just did a quick search and it certainly seems to match up, size and proportion, to that. If you can find a replica, that may be your way to go.
    I am inclined to agree. Slap a new paint job on and there you go. Spendy skull though... The one I am getting is a modern human skull. Now I will have to get this. Makes me wonder why they would use a neanderthal? Seems weird.
    From
    NW of Chicago, IL
    Mar 16, 2017, 6:45 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #14

The probably choose the exaggerated features as they would stand out on film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Mar 16, 2017, 8:55 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #15

In the brief conversation I had with one of the artists working on the film when I was working on my Ripsaw wheel, it seemed like most the materials were already on-hand or supplied in unsorted bulk. The artist I spoke to said he didn't know exactly what he used beyond that he used them. In regards to his Ripsaw ornament, he said when he ran out of bullet casings, the department just supplied him in another bucket.

It was also said that different teams of artists were assigned vehicles to work on independently, so that each car was distinct visually and artistically from one another. I imagine the piece was most likely used because it was brought by one of the artists or already on-hand and was grabbed from a box of stuff.
    Mar 22, 2017, 10:27 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help #16

Positive they used a replica Neanderthal skull from eBay. Particualraly, this listing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d174d0822d.jpg
    Now you can be even more positive....
    There was literally ONE picture of this companies skull on the internet that I could find, so I got some more from the factory.

I learned that it is hollow, but the sinus cavity will have to be opened up into the roof of the mouth to allow the wires to pass through. That is a natural feature of a skull as we know. Also the orbital bone on the Mad Max skull was opened up to allow for more wire wrapping. That is not natural. I was told that the material they use to make this can be drilled but the guy I spoke to expressed concern about the size of the hole needed to be put into the jaw bone for the bolt. He said it would become very delicate.
    I think they used castings of this skull because they are expensive. I also did a quick search and found this skull was used in other places in the movie. There is one on the front of the War Rig for example.

After I get this, I can scale the rivets and turnbuckles. I started to do this with my modern human skull, but found the neanderthal is quite a bit larger so my measurements would not be accurate.
    Mar 31, 2017, 9:28 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #17

I got the neanderthal in the mail. First off, it is LARGE. They must have been very ugly in real life. Second, it is heavy. It is made of something similar to polystone maybe???? If I use this I imagine the only way I will be able to open the sinus cavity and drill holes for the rivets will be with a diamond burr bit perhaps. Ideally, if I had mold making/resin casting friends, I would have casts made in resin. That would be much easier to work with. Alas, I have no such friends.
    Last edited by DeLano80; Mar 31, 2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Apr 3, 2017, 7:31 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #18

Comparison between the neanderthal used for the screaming skull vs. a modern human adult skull.

A little bit of progress. I hollowed out the nose and opened the sinus(?) on the roof of the mouth to use as the exit for the wire.

My worries about breakage or chipping was unfounded. Whatever material this is made from is easy to work with. I used a grinding bit with my dremel.
    I have the solid dome head rivets coming. The conical rivets I have yet to find a good source for.
    Last edited by DeLano80; Apr 3, 2017 at 8:36 PM.
    From
    Butler, PA (Just north of The Pitt)
    Apr 4, 2017, 8:44 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #19

it could be that they used that particular style of skull not only because it was "just laying around" but also because they liked the look of the cracks and chips in the skull (lending that the owner of said skull most likely died a most unpleasant death). Also you have to keep in mind that mutation seems to run rampant in Max's world, so a person having neanderthal like features probably wouldn't be out of the question.
  20. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Apr 4, 2017, 1:09 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #20

DeLano80 said: View Post
    I got the neanderthal in the mail. First off, it is LARGE. They must have been very ugly in real life. Second, it is heavy. It is made of something similar to polystone maybe???? If I use this I imagine the only way I will be able to open the sinus cavity and drill holes for the rivets will be with a diamond burr bit perhaps. Ideally, if I had mold making/resin casting friends, I would have casts made in resin. That would be much easier to work with. Alas, I have no such friends.
    What do you mean you have no such friends? Your on the rpf! There are plenty of us like that here
    Apr 4, 2017, 2:01 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #21

PropReplicator2 said: View Post
    What do you mean you have no such friends? Your on the rpf! There are plenty of us like that here
    Hah! point taken. I meant I know of no one personally.

Anyone want to take a crack at those turnbuckle bodies? I believe they are 1/2" or M10(ish). I believe they are cast and galvanized. Around 7" total length. I can find plenty of turnbuckles of course, but the shape is wrong on the ends.
    Apr 12, 2017, 8:40 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #22

Some progress. It might seem like small progress, but this was more frustrating than it ought to have been. I was originally determined to use steel. I could not for the life of me get it to bend and twist around the orbital bone. It was more difficult than I had thought it would be. I used different gauges of sheet steel trying to get the right look to no avail. I even tried to use tin sheet, thinking I could make the bend and twist with that... I finally admitted defeat and found a place that would sell me lead sheet. I bought a piece of 1'x2'x.0165". I think it works. the thickness looks good to me as I scaled it. The color on some test pieces I did also look good. I was able to make the bend and twist. In my first post, I suggested using lead to myself. I should have listened and saved myself the trouble.

Here is a mock up held together with tape.

My plan will be to fasten the band to the bridge of the nose and work my way back, taking up the slack as I go. I should get it to sit very nicely against the skull. The lead is great to work with. It tastes good too. Soft and yummy...

And one more picture showing the ring on the back. I scaled it from another reference picture I have that I haven't uploaded yet. The ring scaled out to 3" O.D. and .25" thick. It is mild steel and was zinc plated, made by Stanley. I sandblasted off the zinc and will patina it to match some pictures I hopefully will be receiving soon. The lead band wraps around the ring and is riveted to itself, holding the ring in place.

If anyone is interested, The metal on the bridge of the nose (not shown here) scales out to 1/16" thick. I made that piece from steel, but I think I will get some thicker lead to use.
    Last edited by DeLano80; Apr 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM.
  23. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Apr 12, 2017, 11:39 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #23

I can already see the end result! Should look real good once you've got it all painted up an assembled.
    Apr 15, 2017, 10:52 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #24

Any advice on painting the skull to look like the first picture?
  25. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Apr 16, 2017, 1:51 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #25

I can only imagine what'd I'd do and that would be laying down the base color first and then going over that with multiple passes of several browns, yellows, oranges, black (and maybe greens); stippling and blotting with my assorted collections of sponges and paper towels for pick-up and texture. Then seal in a matte clear coat...

...Of course, that's just how I'd​ do it. There are numerous possibilities for you to explore.