Kevin Matchstick's bat

Zinger

I want to make Kevin Matchstick's bat from Matt Wagner's Mage, but I'm a complete novice at prop making.

39046-6091-43896-1-mage.jpg

Has anyone made something like this? I'm thinking of roto-casting the bat and using ultra-bright LED strips for the lighting.

Suggestions?

It might get pricey, but having someone with a lathe make one out of acrylic would be pretty boss. It would have to be somewhat hollowed to fit the lighting, and frosted to hide the electronics.

Casting could be a pain with trying to get all the bubbles out and also worrying about strength. Probably not a super easy way to do it no matter which way you go.

-Rog

Thanks Rogviler,

My brother has a CNC lathe, so he could easily do it for me. I'm looking for something I can do myself and get some experience.

It's not going to be cheap one way or the other. The LEDs I'm looking at would be over $100. 2.75" acrylic rod is $60/ft.

This might not be the right project to start with.

Last edited:
I admit, this has been on my "want to do" list for about a decade. The last time I was seriously considering it, I was thinking about a translucent shell around a stage combat lightsaber blade for rigidity and light transmission, and hiding the light source and battery under an inaccurate grip wrap. Bonus points for burying the battery in the glove so that it only lights for you.

This is strange, I was just thinking about this build with the last Mage volume coming out soon. I was thinking about a translucent wiffle ball bat

well, here's how I would do it...

start with a dowel, the bat looks to measure 32-36 inches depending on the panel. It tapers. So, I used a poster tube and cut it to a cone the Duct tape.aballdowel.jpgdowelnball.jpgesizematterscropped.jpgThen I used 4 inch pvc pipe for the mold.fbatmoldnananana.jpgthe cap will help center the bat with the moldg.jpgicenered.jpgtry to keep centered.

then i will glue this star to a 7/8" diameter lexan tube. the star is 3" at longest to keep the lexan tube centered in the batppour.jpgMoldstar 30 for the moldqLexantube.jpgrpoured.jpgpour no keep the tube centered.I will install lights later. LEDs or EL wire.

and then...yrough.jpglotsa whiskers on the bat, I am gonna wet sand.

But, that's how I would do it. Lights when I decide what to use, but the 5/8" inner diameter tube fits AA batteriesmcenterend.jpgEDIT - OOOOPS!! this is the star I made out of LEXAN. I glued it to the end of the lexan tube so that resin wouldn't sneak up the center tube, also, the points of the star will touch the sides of the mold, keeping the lexan tube centered.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back