Sail barge saber in March 2017 WIRED magazine?

Ill make two versions. One will be designed for home printers. One will be designed for shapeways with super thin walls to reduce the price of WSF printing and you'll have to fill the model with resin once you receive the prints

Well, it's up on WIRED, not sure how great it is...

props6.jpg

Here's the article...

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/super-expensive-hollywood-props/

Last edited:
Wow, really nice resolution! Definitely does look like an ESB card. It's exciting to see all the detail, I just wish there were more shots, more angles.

Wow, you can see finger prints on the grenade section. It also seems as though you can see the texture from the cast aluminum. Definitely seeing thin traces on the circuit card, too.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Wow, you can see finger prints on the grenade section. It also seems as though you can see the texture from the cast aluminum. Definitely seeing thin traces on the circuit card, too.

Ha! After you stated that yes I have to agree that looks like finger prints!! Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, the detail on that photo is so cool, wish we had more like this of some of the more prominent sabers!

1) I find it hilarious there is black overspray all over this. I thought the black was an undercoat.

2) there's metallic paint on the card, it appears this is white resin, so what were they thinking putting it between the leads?

3) is that copper....or gold....:lol

That's definitely a dirty brass on the neck. I don't think any screen used sabers had copper. It's an urban legend propagated due to the fact that they painted the shared stunt neck copper after filming for exhibitions which was the used as the basis for a lot of Luke saber- related merch. Brass all the way, baby

on this, I have to vote a dirty brass too
Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 3.54.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-07 at 3.54.27 PM.png

the hero...lighting changes things, still can't decide.
Copperneck.jpgPicture 46.png

however the V2 does seem to have a darker color.

Last edited:
When u guys keep referring to this is a cast from the "shared stunt" we are referring to the v3 right?

When u guys keep referring to this is a cast from the "shared stunt" we are referring to the v3 right?

hmm
if by the V3 you mean the one with copper tape on the neck, yes. This casting has circular holes in the clamp area, just like the Shared Stunt, or V3.
P1010063-1.jpg

hmm
if by the V3 you mean the one with copper tape on the neck, yes. This casting has circular holes in the clamp area, just like the Shared Stunt, or V3.
View attachment 712551
What he said. That's what partsofsw.com called that saber. When I first heard the saber in question called the V3, I had to do a little head scratch. It seems to imply that it was "discovered" by the prop community after the V2, but I'm pretty sure the shared stunt was on public display well before the existence of the V2 was confirmed.

I like V3 just because technically both it and the V2 are shared stunts, so it helps me keep track of them.

So with this new one in the equation, does that sort of mess with the evolution of things? Correct away if this doesn't jive...

You have production starting with the Graflex, then correcting themselves and reached for shared stunt sabers. We've seen images of the first scene being shot recently, the sandstorm, with shots of Hamill with both a Graflex and then the V2. The V2 may have had paint scraped off from its ANH days, or maybe it was just worn after being used as a hammer at Echo Base.

It ended up as the belt hanger, while the V3 was intended to be the dueling stunt.

For some reason, maybe because of choreography, or different practical effect reasons, the V3 wouldn't work as well for the Sail Barge stunt sequences. Resin casts were made of the V3/SS and painted to resemble it. These were used for when Luke is jumping around, for the R2 launch, and when Luke slams against the side of the barge and starts to climb. In other words-- a stunt saber meant for actual stunts, not dueling or fighting.

When the saber is activated and swung around, since there was not another saber to duel with and actors were in the way, a stunt saber was made with a shorter rod. Made from scratch, a box was attached with two screws, and the rod was set inside. It was painted to resemble the V3/SS. This is the Yuma. There may have been more than one.

The Yuma, or one of its possible copies, was then cleaned up further and given the different box for the cave and/or ISYHCANL inserts.

So basically, it's what we've always known-- save for the fact that this new resin saber says that maybe all those copies we know were out in the desert were not based on the Yuma, but were based on the V3/SS.

Right?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back