Logan (Post-release)

I remember Xavier mentioned that incident...but I'm not sure Jean Grey would have allowed that as she rivals Xavier's powers as Phoenix...

If Xavier accidentally killed the main X-Men shouldn't Logan know about it?

From what I've heard, Logan just kinda exists on its own and should be seen that way. I mean, after all the trouble DoFP went through to "fix" the series of films and resurrect everyone, just to kill them all off again seems redundant.

It's like Uncle Ben, now. How many times do we need to see these guys die?

Good point..It would have been more satisfying to know what happened to the rest of X-Men, the Mansion, Magneto, and even Deadpool

Good point..It would have been more satisfying to know what happened to the rest of X-Men, the Mansion, Magneto, sometime after every of Days of future past. All we know are the events of Deadpool. And I wonder what happened to him too just before and during events of Logan

Doctor Mengle (my name for the sick *******) stated he put stuff in the food and water supply that stopped any new mutants from being born and poisoned the rest. His Healing ability kept the poison from killing him quickly like the others but was doing it's damage to the point where his body could no longer tolerate the Adamantium.

The sad thing is, Jackman and Stewart deserve Oscar nominations but since it's a Super Hero movie, and not some obscure released to 100 theaters film with a name like "The Winter of My Despondency" forget it.

...Jackman and Stewart deserve Oscar nominations but since it's a Super Hero movie...

Dark Knight showed you can. All that it needs to do is make a butt-load of money, on top of having critical success, and that one of them needs to die suddenly in the next film they're shooting.

2 1/2 of 5 for me.

Rated R for overboard CG blood splatters and swearing that sounded forced. I'm sure there was more to the R rating than that, but those huge, glaring points are hard to miss and somewhat distracting at times. We get it, Logan is rated R.

I wanted to like this more than I did. Too often the movie just seemed mopey and just tried too hard at times. Tried too hard and stumbled a bit - did it want to be Mad Max Fury Road? Did it want to be an adult comic book movie? Did it want to be some sort of character driven thing? In the end, it all just became somewhat inconsistent and even self aggrandizing at times.

Do we get some moments of Wolverine that we always? We got close - but, again it seemed to go above and beyond because... well, they wanted to show off their fancy R rating. Sure there were some killer moments (pun intended)... but so much of it seemed forced and unnatural.

Likewise, Hugh tried too hard and a there are a few shots that were almost laugh out loud funny - that look he gives when Wolverine is supposed to go into berzerker rage mode just didn't work. Otherwise Hugh was solid and props to Patrick Stewart and Stephen Merchant.... and then there's Dafne Keen, everyone's new favorite Eleven. She did more with a look than Hugh certainly did.

2 1/2 of 5 for me.

Rated R for overboard CG blood splatters and swearing that sounded forced. I'm sure there was more to the R rating than that, but those huge, glaring points are hard to miss and somewhat distracting at times. We get it, Logan is rated R.

I wanted to like this more than I did. Too often the movie just seemed mopey and just tried too hard at times. Tried too hard and stumbled a bit - did it want to be Mad Max Fury Road? Did it want to be an adult comic book movie? Did it want to be some sort of character driven thing? In the end, it all just became somewhat inconsistent and even self aggrandizing at times.

Do we get some moments of Wolverine that we always? We got close - but, again it seemed to go above and beyond because... well, they wanted to show off their fancy R rating. Sure there were some killer moments (pun intended)... but so much of it seemed forced and unnatural.

Likewise, Hugh tried too hard and a there are a few shots that were almost laugh out loud funny - that look he gives when Wolverine is supposed to go into berzerker rage mode just didn't work. Otherwise Hugh was solid and props to Patrick Stewart and Stephen Merchant.... and then there's Dafne Keen, everyone's new favorite Eleven. She did more with a look than Hugh certainly did.

The swearing thing I noticed, but not quite enough to take me out of the film.

SPOILERS

However, which parts did you think Hugh went over the top etc?

When he is burying X I almost lost it, Logan's expression and the attempt at talking was beautiful acting. When you also have that huge, huge history together on screen and in the film narrative...phenomenal emotions.

Likewise, the scream through the woods when he injects the huge amount of "boost" or whatever it is. Tingles.

Interested in what you thought was over the top though - I'm running fever hot off the back of this and probably have somewhat of an inflated opinion on it. Bloody excellent film.

Great film.

As for the others, there was the news report after Xavier's seizure in Vegas about a similar attack in Westchester, including the deaths of 6 (I believe) X-men. That's when Logan took off with Xavier.

Question: any idea whose funeral they showed? It could have been a random someone, and Logan was hired to be the driver for one of the mourners, but I wasn't sure.

Awesome movie! Although I have some questions...

Whatever happened to Magneto? He's about around Xavier's age.

Whatever happened to the X-Men? Storm? Iceman? Cyclops? Jean Grey? Kitty Pryde? Colossus? These characters are younger than Logan..

What happened to Xavier's wealth to at least provide better living conditions along with Logan and Caliban? I know they're trying to hide out from society for safety reasons...

Did you not pay attention when you were watching? Xavier explains right before he's killed that he remembers what happened to everyone else. They all died because of him.

- - - Updated - - -

Great film.

As for the others, there was the news report after Xavier's seizure in Vegas about a similar attack in Westchester, including the deaths of 6 (I believe) X-men. That's when Logan took off with Xavier.

Question: any idea whose funeral they showed? It could have been a random someone, and Logan was hired to be the driver for one of the mourners, but I wasn't sure.

pretty sure the funeral was just a random person he was driving for.

However, which parts did you think Hugh went over the top etc?
You seem to be focused on what I didn't like about Hugh's performance - I still feel he gave a solid performance. He just seemed to over emote a little too much at times - I mentioned when he went Wolvie-berserker mode didn't sit well to me.

Like you - I wrote my review fresh after watching it and much of what I wrote was just impressions I was left with. Now that the movie's freshness has worn off a bit (a little more than 12 hours after watching), I don't really recall anything too specific at the moment.

Outside of First Class (and to a lesser extent The Wolverine), I don't think there was an X-Movie that really captured the X-Men that well. I really like what Jackman's done with Wolverine, he's become Logan despite the odds being against him (well, at least to me - the height, being Australian and maybe even too good looking).

I'll add that there was a spoiler for that popped up on a feed that said Wolverine died. I was ticked about that headline ruining the film for me - but, it's not as if it wasn't terribly surprising as they've been building this up to be Wolverine's last hurrah. Charles' death was also a "gimme" that seemed obvious from the first trailer.

A cinema rarity.
The last film of a trilogy that was by far and away the best.
Tremendous performances from all the leading three actors,with Jackmans searingly brutal Wolverine finale wrenching the very soul of Logan out from him. Kudos to Hugh and the director/writer for taking this path to the very bitter end,it had moments that really hit me in the guts . Lots of manly throat clearing and "coughing" at the close.
Slightly shocked that this got a 15 cert in the UK, given the amount of swearing and horrifyingly high body count, but by the end it really did make it feel like it all added up to all the sacrifices that were made. I had to have a few quiet minutes in the car before I drove home, I kinda hurt.
Still, what a way to end this series.

Did you not pay attention when you were watching? Xavier explains right before he's killed that he remembers what happened to everyone else. They all died because of him.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty sure the funeral was just a random person he was driving for.

I remember Xavier mentioning that incident. But shouldn't Logan know about this? I also think Jean Grey would not have allowed it as she rivals Xavier's power as Phoenix

Logan did know about what happened. His whole plan was to get Charles on a boat on the open water where his seizure's couldn't kill anyone else.

I really felt like they were saying, with the "in movie" comics, that everything we saw in previous movies happened, but are the PG retelling's of the events. So Jean may even be dead by the time Xavier killed at least "7" mutants with his Westchester seizure.

I loved this flick so much I can't even put my thoughts together properly. It's easier to say what I didn't like...

1. In the last sequence, wish the kids had put up a BIT more of a fight instead of just running. I know a couple of them reacted when grabbed, but the idea of a few turning around to attack, but then being bested, would at least set up better why these trained assassins are all running scared. I mean I KNOW they didn't want to fight, but there had to be more than just X-23 who would fight if provoked. Even in that scene, X-23 was running scared.

2. When Laura took the bullet from Logan's hand as he slept, I feel there could have been a little more of a moment there. Like her watching him sleep, then slowly unfolding his hand and taking the bullet. Push that she's not going to let her dad kill himself.

3. I had to agree with my daughter on the third one... his fighting X-24 was just a little too "been there done that". As my kid pointed out "In the first X-men he fights himself when Mystique changes into Wolverine. In X2 he fights Lady Deathstrike (girl wolverine). In X-men origins he fights Sabertooth and Deadpool - which are both guys with "claws" and healing factor". I couldn't argue it being very original... so points to her.

4. Eh... Scientist meddling with mutants... not that compelling...

Now I'm sure these sound super picky... but that's the point... I have to be SUPER PICKY to find things I didn't like in this movie.

I agree with NeoRutty's replies to TKRalph, but would like to add that Donald Pierce mentioned that the Reavers had hunted down and killed a lot of mutants. This could have included some members of the X-Men team. The movie doesn't specify.

I also have to be super picky to find things I didn't like. I like how Wolverine wanted to avoid becoming attached to people. As he mentioned in the film, everyone he had cared about in the past is dead. Slaughtering 20 guys in a fight is something that he would find easy to do. But having a relationship with an 11 year old girl is a challenge to him. It was a good way to finish Jackman's tenure.

Last edited:
Since there's no way I can not gush over and over about this movie... I'm just gonna randomly post love notes to it...

Love Note #1: The way Xavier talks to Laura.

Even though he's been miserable every moment until she arrives, the instant "Grandpa" voice he takes with her was a highlight. Just that pure excitement of having a student, a young mutant, around again. When he's calling her to follow him was one of my favorite moments...

Then there's that look on his face at that family dinner at getting to seeing Laura laugh... her knowing what it's like to have family

When they're sitting in the hotel and he's letting her play with his chair, while talking to her like a grandchild. They're watching "Shane" and he's talking to her about how it's a classic movie he saw as a kid in the same way my Grandpa would tell me about movies from his past.

And that kicker where he tells "Logan" (really X-24) to let her sleep another hour... Which is mirrored later when Logan tells the mutant kids to let her sleep... (subtle passing of the caregiver mantle...)

So good.

We saw the movie a bit ago and I absolutely loved it. Beautiful. Brutal. Devastating.

Whoever they got to train little X-23's body language did a fantastic job. The utter stillness and watchfulness she exhibited very much read as a predator's responses to potential danger. She was wonderful.

Fascinating, jaw dropping, heart racing, emotional through and through. This was THE best Wolverine film, I highly doubt we'll ever see a Wolverine reboot, HE'S THE BEST AT WHAT HE DOES. That goes for both Logan and Hugh. Hate to say goodbye but it was probably the only way it could've went down. Thank you, Hugh and Sir Patrick, I will watch the original films with more meaning.

I read they really wanted to use Sabretooth instead of the X-24 clone. That definitely would have put it over the top for me. That's the one thing I wanted to see again and I think a more fitting final battle.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back