DeAgostini 1:18 X-Wing

If anyone from USA would like to comment on this please do so and I will pass on your comments to Model Space.

Releasing these kits is a massive financial risk so any information that could help to convince them it is worth it would be very welcome.

I would also like to state that a lot of very negative comments would also have an effect.The Falcon release was groundbreaking and has been very popular, but the persistent and relentless criticism by a vocal minority could end up stalling future Star Wars releases.There are tons of other subjects that would make great partworks.

I think I saw somewhere that they have sold 4 to 4.5 million units of the Falcon. I doubt a little criticism will do much. It comes down to the $$$ and they are making a ton of it. I had absolutely zero problems with my script but it was not advertised right from the start. Yes, it needs a lot of paint work to make it look anything like the studio prop but I did not have a huge problem with that but I can only imagine those with little painting skills were surprised. As far as the X-wing. There is a good chance I would get 2. One to do as red 5 and one to do as a blue from Rogue one. Make it happen :)

They charge $1800 for a 'replica' prop you have to build......and they get their feelings hurt when someone notes it's not the most accurate thing you can buy or build.

Pleeesseee.......:lol:lol

Oh wait it comes with some literature and a mirror stand....now that's better.;)

If they sell 4 million units, then there's a strong market for this type of collecting and building and there's no doubt they are very nice pieces. The concept of weekly magazine parts is something I grew up with in the 80s and it was the most frustrating thing in the world when I missed a week or there was a non delivery issue.

I'd never buy into this method of build/collecting, but I understand the attraction.

Can't they just dispense with the weekly mag thing and just have a drone deliver the weekly parts direct to your door? We can put a small car sized object on Mars and drive it around, but we still have magazine weekly subscriptions, I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper let alone a magazine.

Give me my DRONES!!!..............:lol

So far the comment from rpf would not be supportive of another Star Wars kits.

Well what would you like to hear? Everything is all right with the Falcon, even if it is clearly not?

You should at least try to see that some of the critisism is well-meant, justified and indeed supportive. On the other hand, if the only way we would be supportive, in your eyes, is when we don't complain about anything, regardless how justified critisism would be, then I know what to expect from this company.

I don't understand people buying these kinds of kits with the expectation that they don't need to paint them, at least partially, to look like the real deal. But DeAgostini should stop to promote the kits as if those expectations were right.
I don't understand how people would expect such a kit to be without mistakes. But DeAgostini should admit its mistakes and stop selling outdated parts to new countries while others receive better ones. With that sort of mistreatment, no company should wonder about bad mood in some forum threads.

And an additional accusation of such comments being "not supportive of another Star Wars kit" clearly show that this lesson is not learnt a bit.

They charge $1800 for a 'replica' prop you have to build......and they get their feelings hurt when someone notes it's not the most accurate thing you can buy or build.

Pleeesseee.......:lol:lol

Oh wait it comes with some literature and a mirror stand....now that's better.;)

If they sell 4 million units, then there's a strong market for this type of collecting and building and there's no doubt they are very nice pieces. The concept of weekly magazine parts is something I grew up with in the 80s and it was the most frustrating thing in the world when I missed a week or there was a non delivery issue.

I'd never buy into this method of build/collecting, but I understand the attraction.

Can't they just dispense with the weekly mag thing and just have a drone deliver the weekly parts direct to your door? We can put a small car sized object on Mars and drive it around, but we still have magazine weekly subscriptions, I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper let alone a magazine.

Give me my DRONES!!!..............:lol

The weekly magazine thingy is because these partworks are sold in newsagents weekly in Europe.In USA there isnt the newsagent network to do a weekly release so they repackage it into monthly deliveries.

The weekly magazine thingy is because these partworks are sold in newsagents weekly in Europe.In USA there isnt the newsagent network to do a weekly release so they repackage it into monthly deliveries.

When I was a kid, I had to go the library for most information, now I have the web.............DRONES BABY DRONES!!!:lol

I take your point, but the whole method is so antiquated.

I just wondered, if the X-wing is bigger than studio scale and it is adverted as "superb replica", what is their main source ?
I also think, you will have to do a full repaint on your own to make it look like movielike, like the Falcon.
I also wondered how/if they can handle the wing sagging issue, most big x-wing versions have.

This is one of the few things where I am happy to be located in Austria as we normaly get stuff about a year or more later ;) ( the official falcon start at our newstand was this january )

Somebody is welcome to correct me, but if I remember right, the original falcon Deagostini put out there was the Master Replicas Falcon with Steve Dymszo. That is the one they used for all of the pr stuff so they advertise it like you can just get the parts and build it this way...but...I think people were so excited they did not realize what it was until they had their hands on it. Either way, a Master Replicas is just out of price range for most people, some go for $10 grand now , and that is if you can find one.

My two cents:

I had been sub contracted by Steve Dymszo on this two years ago. This was the plan, apparently:

I have a 2nd gen clean ILM Pyro casting and EVERY donor kit part (I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE) bagged and ready... started this process ages ago, as it takes so long to track all that expensive crazy stuff down.

It was supposed to be a 1/24th scale root subscription plan based on the ILM parts/styrene donors. It would have the "movie" cockpit and Luke/Artoo that look film realistic. The body would be modular of course, and break down in a way that you could swap parts out. Why you ask?

Steve said that A LIMITED ADD ON perk/option that would offer the ILM "Racecar" pilot, the ILM "Droid", the ILM Cockpit, and swap out parts to make Red 2/Blue 1 - the different positioned torpedo tubes, and different Phantom engines/turkey feathers.

But hey, a 1/18th toy will sell tons, I am sure.

Any one want to buy a Pyro casting and a crap ton of rare styrene and a bit of Holgate & Reynolds sheet? :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wondered, if the X-wing is bigger than studio scale and it is adverted as "superb replica", what is their main source ?
I also think, you will have to do a full repaint on your own to make it look like movielike, like the Falcon.
I also wondered how/if they can handle the wing sagging issue, most big x-wing versions have.

This is one of the few things where I am happy to be located in Austria as we normaly get stuff about a year or more later ;) ( the official falcon start at our newstand was this january )

it said on the box that it is based on the original full sized prop and special effects x-wing filming miniatures. I would think it has a similar metal structure like the falcon. I got rid of my Icons X-wing at the right time as I had no clue the wings would sag like they have.

Well

I don't understand people buying these kinds of kits with the expectation that they don't need to paint them, at least partially, to look like the real deal. But DeAgostini should stop to promote the kits as if those expectations were right.

This!

Fair and balanced. The serious modeler and (maybe) serious SW fan should not have expected to be completely satisfied with how it comes in the proverbial box, but DeAgo shouldn't get a free pass when they advertise it the way they did (and maybe still do).
Mike Todd

I am loving this Falcon kit, and having been waiting a while to get my hands on one at this size, very happy to add it to the collection. I can also understand completely, about some of the issues others have with it but I'm in a fortunate position where I can afford some aftermarket products or have some ability to scatchbuild these myself and forgo some of the discrepancies that comes with this kit, especially the marketing technique regarding the painting, this is the part I enjoy the most and I get to make sure that I get a Falcon the way I like it.

But.

As for Deagostini's Australian distributors, Bisset magazine, absolutely disgusted at their lack of care, customer support and operators with not one ounce of empathy or answers who just don't care and are rude. Calling them for answers because in 3 consecutive months, I had only received 1 magazine per month, sitting on hold for 30mins, being told on the phone "there's nothing I can do" or "what would you like me to do about it" even better "well maybe you should buy the rest from ebay then". So after 5 months and being 14 back issues behind, I cancelled my subscription, still being owed 2 back issues that have been paid for and my Han-Solo figurine. That I'm still waiting for.

So if DeAgostini release this X-Wing, I will most probably get it, but from a newsagent, forgoing my subscription gifts and staying clear of Bisset Magazine.

My two cents:

I had been sub contracted by Steve Dymszo on this two years ago. This was the plan, apparently:

I have a 2nd gen clean ILM Pyro casting and EVERY donor kit part (I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE) bagged and ready... started this process ages ago, as it takes so long to track all that expensive crazy stuff down.

It was supposed to be a 1/24th scale root subscription plan based on the ILM parts/styrene donors. It would have the "movie" cockpit and Luke/Artoo that look film realistic. The body would be modular of course, and break down in a way that you could swap parts out. Why you ask?

Steve said that A LIMITED ADD ON perk/option that would offer the ILM "Racecar" pilot, the ILM "Droid", the ILM Cockpit, and swap out parts to make Red 2/Blue 1 - the different positioned torpedo tubes, and different Phantom engines/turkey feathers.

Any one want to buy a Pyro casting and a crap ton of rare styrene and a bit of Holgate & Reynolds sheet? :lol

What you've described there sounds perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for and love the idea of swapping out parts to build the one you want. There is something magical about building to the same scale the originals were. What the hell is 1/18? At that scale there's no sign they've faithfully replicated the original parts and blown them up. There's no magic in that and so I'm quite happy to stick with my 1/48 Finemolds for significantly less money. They got the scale right with the MF, what the hell? :(

My two cents:

This would have been great! But a 1/ 18 th scale toy...sorry Deagostini you lost me.

Everyone has their right to state their opinion.It has the potential to affect future releases.I am not in any way suggesting anyone is whining.The company does welcome criticism and will likely act accordingly.So far the comment from rpf would not be supportive of another Star Wars kits.I will pass these comments on.

Since Im the Janitor here...........hahaha.

The RPF can be a bunch of the most nit picking talented artist out there. Most of the fun is the journey to finding perfection. No commercially made kit will be......perfect. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. The Deago Falcon may not be perfect for everyone, but it is the perfect base for a novice AND talented artisans. The sky is the limit on how accurate you want to make it with all the aftermarket parts there are out there.

At the end of the day, how has the Deago Falcon been selling? Im willing to bet beyond expectations. Why? Because there was a void that was crying to be filled.

Now lets talk X-Wings. There are more than a few resin studio scale X-wings and the later Hasbro toy, which is a great base to make a fine display piece. When I worked at Icons back in the day, we had the license for a X wing prop replica. A few months later, Hasbro made this amazing 'toy' with almost the exact dimensions and electronics for $39.99. A bunch of us bought them and repainted them for fun. From a marketing stand point, the Hasbro toy was a major threat.

The new Disney-Hasbro Hero series X-Wing is the same scale as the ROTJ X-Wing. Thats a cool thing to us hard core guys as well as the kids and average collector. The smaller studio scale market is saturated IMHO. I wouldnt spend another $1500 on a piece build at that scale. But I would gladly spend that money on the larger scale in a heart beat. I think your test market will show the same amount of enthusiasm. Deago doesnt need to make it 100% perfect, the secondary market (members here via Shapeways etc.) will offer 'perfect' tweaks like they have on the MF. Hell, if they made it perfect out of the gate.......heads would explode hahaha.

If Deago takes the time to do its research, and takes the advice of knowledgeable consultants (moefftan etc), they will have another financial winner.

Just my humble opinion.

I'm not interested in a 1/18 kit either, but I'd subscribe to a model in the same size as the movie prop.

I'm ok with it being 1/18th, but at 100 issues there no way I'm going to sign up for it. 50-60 maybe. A X-wing and TIE in 1/18th, 100 issues would be fine.

Blabbing and excrement, they sure can be interchangeable right?

I'll take the bait....;)

What does the rpf toilet cleaner actually do??

By far the most redundant claim to fame must be the person who takes pride in being a 'janitor' on the internet.

I would retort further, but I'm too busy actually building replica props and so on and so forth.....;)

xw5.jpgIMG_2939.JPGIMG_2089.JPGIMG_2991.JPGIMG_2073.JPGIMG_2011.JPGIMG_2001.JPGIMG_1079.JPGIMG_0253.JPGIMG_20160101_175810.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back