Bong Joon-ho's Okja (Post-release)

Re: Bong Joon-ho's Okja

Definitely I'll check it out but I already posted my thoughts on the "upcoming films thread of this year". Just to quickly recap for this, though: interested but cautious of the clash between East and Western film sentiments, seen throughout films like Stoker and Snowpiercer.

Re: Bong Joon-ho's Okja

Okja Teaser Poster

C_tmbPqUwAAZOzb.jpg:large

Solid 6/10 for me. That scene with the super pigs saving their kid...heart wrenching. What was up with Jake Gylenhol (sp) though? A tad over the top to say the least and some of the cgi was jarring at times.

Still not giving up bacon. Don't judge me.

Just got through watching this and I wanted to jot my thoughts down while they're still fresh. Reading MooCriket's comment above, I agree; a 6 is a good score. If I could sum this film up it would be this: problematic but not offensively so. I wasn't exceptionally eager to see it this in the first place, as films like Stoker and Snowpiercer have taught me otherwise, but I root for both Park Chan Wook and Bong Joon Ho every time they release something as I think they're some of the finest talents in film currently. However, like the films I mentioned, this suffered from what these East/West co-productions have: culture clash. What may have worked or have been permissible had it been in its native tongue, when Westerners are brought in to it and made to perform as the Koreans would've done, it doesn't work. At least not for me, anyway; it's way too jarring. Paul Dano and Steven Yeun do a decent job of pulling it off and it's a testament to them and their skills at acting, but everyone else in the Western cast hams it up (huh-huh) way too much. Gyllenhal and Swinton chew up scenery and spit it out like chaw every time they show up.

Beyond the issues I have with the dialogue, I also found the narrative a bit lacking. Characters are a bit flat and one-dimensional and just seem to move in and out from one place to the next and, though much of Joon Ho's films carry comedic elements, I did find that some of the humor did undercut the drama at times and made what was there seem ham-fisted. I feel that there was also a message meant to be made in this but it comes off as satire more than not. Yes, seeing these hippo-cow-dogs go to slaughter and treated like objects is a sorry sight, but this film is nowhere near effective enough to stop people from eating steaks and porkchops. Certainly not me, anyway.

For what is good about this film, it (like Snowpiercer) is getting Bong Joon Ho's name out there in the mainstream and, hopefully, getting more people interested in his other films and then they can see what a film from him is like when he's at his best. It's muddled in this film with all the other stuff but there are moments in Okja that do show what a visionary and talented director he is, especially when it comes to staging/framing/composition and what he can pull from his actors.

He didn't direct it but another film Bong Joon Ho was involved with (wrote and produced) that's on Netflix and worth watching is a film called "Sea Fog". It gets a bit too "action-y" with the resolution, I feel, but it's a solid thriller nonetheless.

I just watched it and really enjoyed it. I'm not going to post a review as I will leave that to the long-winded individuals who like to use big words and thrill to see their words in print (no, I'm not singling anybody out, just my general thoughts on anybody that feels the need to try and influence my thoughts on a film :lol).
However, the only part I detested was Jake's horrid performance. He's one of my favorite characters and I found his performance to be ridiculous, over the top and utterly unnecessary.

I think Jake's performance was no more over the top than Tilda or others in this and previous films. I've met people like that.

Just watched okja tonight and I'd give it 8/10. Quite good, moving, a little predictable, but worth it. The end requires you to really pay attention. And definitely stay through the credits. [Am I being cynical when I say that post-credits tag scenes are becoming tiresome?]

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back