Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon

Got some progress done to my falcon today!
Finished up threading fibers to the cockpit dashboard! Man what a task!
But I think the effort was worth it.

fc991eda79640f4da70948614d1141c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a little test regarding the fiber optics im using for "mind your head"-lights. It seems that "mushrooming" the FO makes the light brighter if you see it dead on, but actually, cutting them strait, makes the light visual in almost every angle. Though not as bright.

Here is dead on
b583114dd89ca6dd67d9d6bfec7f52ed.jpg

From the side

a9452e09afebb19320760ed037e7d688.jpg

From underneath

d363560cbec53b96200a8656a423cf23.jpg

Wow, youre going all out.

Looks great!

I dont know much about FO, fo you glue the tips of the FO into the hole or is it just a tight fit?

Super glue, plastic cement?

Superglue (ACC/Krazy Glue/etc) will destroy fibre optics! Same with solvent-based glues.

Drill to fit, and use a tiny drop of white (PVA) glue to hold it if required. White glue has the advantage of not sticking very well to plastic, so if you need to make a change you can easily pull it off.

Wow, youre going all out.

Looks great!

I dont know much about FO, fo you glue the tips of the FO into the hole or is it just a tight fit?

Super glue, plastic cement?

Thank you!

Its all a really tight fit, but i glue it on the inside with plastic cement or scilicone.
That way it can move a little without breaking.

I did the mistake of using superglue first, and it distroyed the fibers. They get really brittle and brake if you touch it.

I did a little test regarding the fiber optics im using for "mind your head"-lights. It seems that "mushrooming" the FO makes the light brighter if you see it dead on, but actually, cutting them strait, makes the light visual in almost every angle. Though not as bright.

Wow - I like that. It would certainly be a viable option. I'm going to play with using SMT LEDs as well just to see how it looks - but you are right, it's easy it make them too bright.

I will try and start a thread by the end of the week... right now I can't take any pictures indoors (working on cleaning my basement/office and there are no free flat surfaces anywhere) and it's been raining for weeks it seems...

Thanks for the info and keep up the good work - it looks fantastic.

Regards,

Brad.

Wow - I like that. It would certainly be a viable option. I'm going to play with using SMT LEDs as well just to see how it looks - but you are right, it's easy it make them too bright.

I will try and start a thread by the end of the week... right now I can't take any pictures indoors (working on cleaning my basement/office and there are no free flat surfaces anywhere) and it's been raining for weeks it seems...

Thanks for the info and keep up the good work - it looks fantastic.

Regards,

Brad.

Thank you!
Looking forward to your thread!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back