Which resin should I use?

IAmTheStig

Hi guys,

So I'm doing my first full build (Iron Man MK. 50 or the "Endo-Sym", I'll start a build thread after I'm done with the helmet) and I'm to the point where my paper needs to be hardened with resin. Now I've been doing ALOT of research because I'm not too familiar with the brands and prices but I do know I want to use epoxy or maybe a polyurethane due to the low vapors. I'll be doing this in my basement, with a respirator but I'm still worried about the fumes. The basement is mostly underground, but there is a door opposite of my workshop, across the entire rest of the basement, about 40-50 ft away. Then the stairs going up to the main floor are right next to my shop, from the kitchen; so should I be worried for my dog, wife and myself when I don't have the respirator on? I couldn't find anything on whether or not styrene fumes could be absorbed into food, but we have an open shelf next to the door leading to the basement where we keep produce out. I know bananas and strawberries are some of the most absorbent foods out there.

Naturally I'm thinking epoxy but it seems epoxy resin is twice as expensive and not as hard, though super strong. I'll be going to dragon-con and walking around in the armor, having on display in my man-cave, not to mention giving candy to trick or treaters so I'd like for it to hold up. Specific brands would be great, websites you find with the best prices, etc. One other thing I suppose I should mention is I live in Atlanta, where the only thing worse than the heat... is the humidity in the spring/summer time. I've heard some resins HATE humidity, only reason I mention it.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back