Interstellar Endurance 1/200th Scale

Archive&Future

Sr Member
An exciting new commission, it's good to have another shot at this beautiful design after my own attempt never got off the ground.
Diameter of the final ship will be 325mm, bringing it into scale at a pleasant 1:200th

I began with​
1mm styrene cut to shape according to my blueprints, then chamfered it for a snug fit

32251268814_d9e4fdb289_c.jpg

32251267434_3244e571f0_c.jpg

32251270054_c2e4679ae2_c.jpg

32714641740_1f34e4d2a6_c.jpg

Panel lines scribed using a steel rule and sharp centre punch, the thermal shielding is 100gsm linen texture paper

32251271084_e7f8fd70f0_c.jpg

32251273854_8c019761c8_c.jpg

32251276044_026e58af91_c.jpg

A sparing coat of Tamiya Ultrafine primer hides the imperfections

32969876391_096012afba_c.jpg

Retro-thruster blocks scribed and then drilled out with a curve tapered dremel bit

32969878731_fc993b7930_c.jpg

Another 1mm styrene shaped cut to frame the engine thrusters. Since there are four of these thrusters modules, I'll be moulding and casting this master module

32714641420_250ae10231_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Endurance 1/200th Scale

Thruster cavity complete.

I did this by making a styrene box insert, which I then fitted in place before pouring in a level base of resin.

The joints were integrated using bondo thinned down with acetone, then filed.

All I'm waiting for now is an order of photoetch and donor kits so I can sparingly detail the interior, and then crack on with moulding!

32959387092_ee354e5822_c.jpg

Different texture primers, masked off in places, mixed with the linen paper makes it visually pleasing and 'in-scale'.

33115654865_f83b45bcd3_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I spent the majority of the day building the habitation module master.

This took way longer than expected, the geometry is bizarre; it may have been easier to machine this from a block of acetal or something rather than building it up from sheet plastic....ah well, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Not to mention all the beautiful square edges the piece had needed to be machined away as the ship has external chamfers on all the edges anyway. Sigh!

The process of building the Ranger has (so far) been straightforward, if time consuming.

I cut the hull silhouette in 4mm acrylic and began to shape it using needle files; I followed the same principle with the cabin.

Once that was together, I whacked a healthy amount of bondo into where the angles were going to be and then shaped that up too.

It's almost laughable that this took me an entire day...

Side note: the Ranger is looking distinctly DeLorean-like in some of these photos...

Throughout yesterday I worked on refining the taper of the Ranger cabin, before hand scribing the panel lines.

After using double-sided tape to hold the model down to my milling bed, I tried machining the windows... long story short, I am really not skilled enough.
So I filled them back in and instead used the mill to create accurately aligned thruster holes.

I spent another entire day working on the Ranger, this time primarily focusing on the windows.

In the end, the only process I thought might work was to cut out window positives in Frogtape, then give a coat of filler primer.
And whaddya know, it worked a treat !

Once I was happy with that, I turned my attention to adding the thermal shielding and the 'bonnet' fins.

So far, so good...

I spent yesterday evening prepping parts for moulding and/or casting.

As you can see, I've detailed the thruster cavity to a fair amount, and started claying up the whole unit.

On the other end of the bench, I moulded a selection of interesting in a fast-cure rubber, and started pulling casts from that later in the day.

Other than that, the project is trundling along nicely.

Last night's progress on the Endurance; I began to mould up the first half of the thruster module and did some milling work on the habitation module to fit the solar panels along with angling the rear of the Ranger.

I havn't checked to the original (where I usually don't care a third, you do) but I LIKE what you achieved so far VERY VERY MUCH!
Keep it coming, bro!

Coming along nicely. Watched the film again the other night and took a bit more interest in the Endurance. You are nailing it! :thumbsup :thumbsup

The past few days I've spent moulding and casting the thruster module, this morning I cast up another couple which turned out beautifully. The pour spout is crudely cut into the mould, but it appears on a flat panel and all I do with each cast is mill that surface nice and clean before applying filler to any stray bubbles.

This evening I turned my attention back to the ranger, masking off the hull so that I could strategically Bondo the part which I've taken to calling 'The Headscarf'
That took a lot of patient sculpting, but so far so good.
Then later on I milled the retro thrusters, airlock and the four clasp locks that surround it.

Tomorrow I'll machine the thrusters and fit them in place, probably out of acrylic or acetal

Fantastic work, my one question is why didn't you build the model at 1/144 scale , then you could have used the launch cone Rangers(building the bottom of the ship would have been easier) that comes with the Moebius kit?

The client wants it to fit a specific 320mm wide alcove in his house, so I scaled the model around that spec.

That being said, the Moebius Ranger kit is gorgeous but it seems to me like the two 1/144 ones are too small and the main 1/72 one is too big for the scales they're supposed to be.... but the lack of info on the 'real' sizing doesn't help !

Just for reference I'm going off the assumption that Endurance is 65m diameter, and everything is proportioned around that. Whether that's accurate is another matter, but the main importance is that the whole model looks proportional together

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back