Robocop 1987 build "Your move creep!"

Wow just want to say you're doing a great job! Its so cool to think we can just print stuff like this up in our living rooms now!
Cant wait to see the full bot mode!
By the way in your first pic on the first page it looked like the Prusa isnt tall enough to print that calf out in one shot, I assume you had to do it in sections?

Re: Robocop 1987 build "Your move creep!"

Magnet fixings?
That's exactly what i was thinking. Haven't yet thought about straps and how to attatch the parts. I did an iron man suit for my son with straps and magnets. I think I'm going to use something simular on this build.

Wow just want to say you're doing a great job! Its so cool to think we can just print stuff like this up in our living rooms now!
Cant wait to see the full bot mode!
By the way in your first pic on the first page it looked like the Prusa isnt tall enough to print that calf out in one shot, I assume you had to do it in sections?

It's crazy what you can print at home. The other day I printed an action figure for my son,with movable arms and legs and an halo style armor.

The printing height of the prusa is about 25cm. I had to print the part in 3 pieces.

Awesome. I can't wait to see it painted. I hope you go for the flip flop paint that they used for the film. :)

Actually the color from the movie is not a flip flop paint. It is more an illusion. The colors like the purple and blue are painted in specific places on the armor.

Actually the color from the movie is not a flip flop paint. It is more an illusion. The colors like the purple and blue are painted in specific places on the armor.

I respectfully disagree regarding the original paint finish, with the exception of the back of Murphy's head. It always seems purple/blue. I have watched some interviews with Peter Weller describing it as a kind of opalescent finish and I believe I saw it shifting colours in an Entertainment Tonight special approximately a year ago.

Your build is your build though, and I hope you enjoy the results that you get with your interpretation of the paint finish. I have seen similar work done and it can look quite beautiful, as I'm sure yours will. :)

I'll be following with excitement. "Nice shootin' , son".

Last edited:
From what I've heard the paint was actually a greenish metallic to the naked eye, but looked blue-ish and purple once it was captured on film. At least according to the guys at the Robocop Archive.

How will you handle the "soft parts" such as the shoulder gaskets, elbow joints, gloves, etc.?

I have no plan yet. I was thinking to make the schoulder pieces in black eva foam, or printing the parts and molding them for latex or another rubber like material.

From what I've heard the paint was actually a greenish metallic to the naked eye, but looked blue-ish and purple once it was captured on film. At least according to the guys at the Robocop Archive.

If we can get that E.T. segment on the making of Robocop I believe it'll show just that, I remember seeing some other colours too.

It is a special paint, however the highlights on edges and other parts are painted on. It does not shift.

I have some experience with it and I can tell you that it isn't always *boom* in your face obvious. It depends on the angle of the light and the colours you select relative to the basecoat.

I'm more than happy to agree to disagree, but I believe flip flop not only to be accurate, but to be an easier method of painting the suit. It comes from a place of totally wanting to help, not criticise.

20134760_10154769892127742_1819124009_n.png

20046207_10154769892092742_1079298322_n.png

20067773_10154769892097742_2140355072_n.png

20067477_10154769892117742_1476995655_n.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back