Robocop 1987 build "Your move creep!"

So my printer has some heating issues. I think it is a bad connector or faulty wiring, nothing major. In the mean time

I went ahead and sanded, primed and painted the auto 9. Did a little of wheatering on it to make it a little more realistic.

mK8O8P.jpg
TO5SfW.jpg
U4aE6Q.jpg
J5RZM4.jpg

Just FYI, I use a dremel and off cuts of filament, to plastic weld my pieces for an extremely strong bond. plus i can fill in small gaps, etc with it.
Dude!
I had to look up this Dremel technique, you just saved me a 14 hour reprint.

I had a part that failed halfway, so thought to cut the model and just print the other half. I got lucky in that I hit it right and the parts married up just right. But i couldn't really glue it as there were no decent edges, used this technique round the seam on the inside, worked perfectly.

That auto 9 is awesome, it's hard to see that its not a real gun. I may have a go at it myself, you can't have too many autos!

Loving these Robo print builds, good work guys.

Dude!
I had to look up this Dremel technique, you just saved me a 14 hour reprint.

I had a part that failed halfway, so thought to cut the model and just print the other half. I got lucky in that I hit it right and the parts married up just right. But i couldn't really glue it as there were no decent edges, used this technique round the seam on the inside, worked perfectly.

That auto 9 is awesome, it's hard to see that its not a real gun. I may have a go at it myself, you can't have too many autos!

Loving these Robo print builds, good work guys.

I'm not quite sure how this technique works. Can you elaborate? (Sorry i'm Dutch) :p

I'm not quite sure how this technique works. Can you elaborate? (Sorry i'm Dutch) :p

Use a short off cut of PLA in the collet of the dremel then run it along the seam of the 2 parts you are gluing. The friction melts the filament of the dremel bit to the other 2. It was news to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank's I have actually seen this technique before. It is also called friction welding. Nice tutorial, good find.

Last edited:
This is one heck of an undertaking for 3D printing, good luck. It looks great so far! I'm curious to see how the friction welding holds up, I tried it once but couldn't quite manage to get it to work, I think my wall thickness was too thin.

This is one heck of an undertaking for 3D printing, good luck. It looks great so far! I'm curious to see how the friction welding holds up, I tried it once but couldn't quite manage to get it to work, I think my wall thickness was too thin.
I tested it yesterday and I'm not really impressed by it either.
It broke really easy at the seam. I had the best succes with superglue and welding it on the inside with a piece of filament and a solder iron.

Hi. I'm running the London marathon in a couple of weeks in this very same suit that I've been printing for a couple of weeks. I needed a very strong way to bond the pla pieces together so the suit doesn't fall apart over 26 miles of running. What I've done is get one of those cheapo 3D printer pens from Amazon for like 20 bucks. I then hold the parts together with tape and 'draw' the join in using the pen. As I use the same PLA as the main suit it practically welds the parts together and also colour matches. For added strength I'm gonna use a single layer of woven fibreglass inside but that's just a belt and braces approach for what I'm using the suit for. You can just get away with the 3d pen. The other benefits are you can use any spare lengths of pla filament and it's also pretty instant unlike glues. CA glue just didn't hold for me. Hope this helps.

Hi. I'm running the London marathon in a couple of weeks in this very same suit that I've been printing for a couple of weeks. I needed a very strong way to bond the pla pieces together so the suit doesn't fall apart over 26 miles of running. What I've done is get one of those cheapo 3D printer pens from Amazon for like 20 bucks. I then hold the parts together with tape and 'draw' the join in using the pen. As I use the same PLA as the main suit it practically welds the parts together and also colour matches. For added strength I'm gonna use a single layer of woven fibreglass inside but that's just a belt and braces approach for what I'm using the suit for. You can just get away with the 3d pen. The other benefits are you can use any spare lengths of pla filament and it's also pretty instant unlike glues. CA glue just didn't hold for me. Hope this helps.

Thank's for your input. I considered using a 3d pen. Welding the parts together with a soldering iron also gives great results. I scraped the whole gluing with ca glue method. I just tack some key points on a piece, just like metal welding.
And then go over the whole seam and add some filament on parts that need extra strength. I might pick up a 3d pen if It's cheap though.

Awesome idea. Have you got any pics or a build thread?

You can get a plastic welding kit for pretty cheap. Usually from harbor freight or some such place for about 60 bucks. It has special welding heads for all types of jobs to give you a clean smooth weld.

This looks fantastic! Did you have to do any mortification's to the suit files you purchased? I was also wondering where you got the files for the Auot-9 prop?

I have not yet done anything larger than a "helmet" printed in 3 pieces but I used super glue, welded the PLA pieces together using a soldering iron and solder tips from a wood burner kit. I used auotmotive bondo I had to mix that was really stinky and a lot of sanding. Is there a better filler that inst as toxic?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back