Robocop 1987 build "Your move creep!"

How are you joining the pieces together?

The pieces are not joint together yet. They are just taped together. I'm still debating how to join the pieces.
On the inside I'm going to weld them together with filament. But I want to glue them also. I used super glue before but it is not as strong as I want it to be.
I thought about chloroform or something to fuse the parts. Chloroform to pla is like acetone to abs. But I don't know if I can get it here.
I will do some more research.

Isn't chloroform what the kidnappers use to knock out their victims?? LOL. Can't imagine it being too readily available....

I was going to try 2-part JB Weld. But mixing the tubes is a bit of a pain for such a large job, and it doesn't go very far. I am using that for my Auto9 at the moment though.

Yes that is the stuff LOL. But it is also used to bond accrylic. I heard it is available at a pharmacy here. Haven't asked yet though.
At my work we use a 2 component urethane glue to repair headlights and stuff. Going to test that also.

Just spoke to a mate who prints and builds things like there's no tomorrow. He just uses CA glue, so I think I'll give that a go. Someone else here (can't remember if it was another Robocop or an Iron Man), melted the joints with a soldering iron. Similar to your "filament welding" idea perhaps.

I noticed yesterday that Harbor Freight has a plastic welding kit...Never knew a thing existed. Might want to try something like that.

Very nice so far. I'm working from the top of the suit down so it's cool to see how the lower extremities are printing out.

I highly recommend using Harbor Freight industrial strength super glue (CA), it bonds PLA well just make sure you sand your edges first and rough them up that will give you a much stronger bond. After that you could use a soldering iron and weld the pieces together using uniform indentations in-between the two bonded pieces. You don't have to but you could also fiberglass the inside of the pieces which is what I'll be doing when finished printing the whole suit. Hope that might help all fellow Robosuit and other potential 3d builders.

Looking great!

Very nice so far. I'm working from the top of the suit down so it's cool to see how the lower extremities are printing out.

I highly recommend using Harbor Freight industrial strength super glue (CA), it bonds PLA well just make sure you sand your edges first and rough them up that will give you a much stronger bond. After that you could use a soldering iron and weld the pieces together using uniform indentations in-between the two bonded pieces. You don't have to but you could also fiberglass the inside of the pieces which is what I'll be doing when finished printing the whole suit. Hope that might help all fellow Robosuit and other potential 3d builders.

Looking great!

I used superglue on the iron man display helmet and welded the inside of the helmet with filament. It is indeed a strong bond. But with the silver filament I use it doesn't stick very well. The white pla from the same brand was no problem.

I used superglue on the iron man display helmet and welded the inside of the helmet with filament. It is indeed a strong bond. But with the silver filament I use it doesn't stick very well. The white pla from the same brand was no problem.

Yeah I've noticed the same problem amongst different PLA's as well even within the same company. Some bond better then others which I'm assuming is probably because of the multiple fillers companies use when manufacturing their PLA. Different colors within the same company also seem to make a difference sometimes which is also because of the color dye/fillers. I was using a couple types of Makergeeks filament for awhile and I tried 3 different super glues on them and only one out of the three super glues bonded.

Various Loctite super glues I have found to be pretty much useless and really don't give a strong bond at all, atleast with the filaments I've been using (Cheap Ebay filaments, Makergeeks, and Hatchbox that I'm using currently)

Hobby store super glues also don't seem to work well either.

The best super glues I've found that have worked extremely well on multiple filaments that bond the PLA so strong that if you were to try to pull it apart after bonding it almost shatters the PLA (which has happened to me) has strangely been, Dollar Tree (Super Glue) brand and Harbor Freight Industrial strength super glue. This isn't the end all and I'm sure there are probably better glues but these have been my go to's and have been great for the various filaments I have used when other glues have failed.

Sorry didn't want to turn your thread into a super glue discussion but maybe it might help others who might be having similar problems. Look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Last edited:
Sorry didn't want to turn your thread into a super glue discussion but maybe it might help others who might be having similar problems. Look forward to seeing more of your progress.
No, it's alright. It sure helps me and could help others.
I think I'm going to test some glues. Thank's for your input.

So a little more progress made. Cod piece was a bit to small so printed again.

poRWZe2Oj

And printed the Auto 9.:love

plIL6xBYj

Just FYI, I use a dremel and off cuts of filament, to plastic weld my pieces for an extremely strong bond. plus i can fill in small gaps, etc with it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back