The Last Jedi Graflex Research - Spoilers inside!

Comparing it with my Gen1 it looks like that could be Roman's shoulder under the red button, but it's not the ears or red button from the Gen1. I think it's a good match for the Gen1 sync pin hole placement, also.

Methodology: I enlarged and brightened the image in PS then held Romans Gen1 and Gen2, and a vintage Graflex between my eye and screen to match size and position. I removed the ears from my Gen1 for comparing sync hole placement for a better view.

Woah, the ears on this one stunt are huuuuuge what the heck

F4t0YR5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is as she cuts the rock. I would have thought it was the one I labeled Simplified FX Stunt 2 - Silver Ring Bottom, but that one doesn't have ears. This doesn't match with any of the stuns I have pictures of as far as I can tell

I think they built their stunts out of Graflex parts, or made them from scratched with 3d Printed and cast parts based on scans off a Graflex. I think it's all custom made replica parts and vintages, and combinations there-of.

(speaking generally, across the board)

Man, once you see the simplified stunt you can't unsee it. I'm kind of surprised they didn't redo it in the shots where it's in sharp focus(being pulled off the throne for instance).

Man, once you see the simplified stunt you can't unsee it. I'm kind of surprised they didn't redo it in the shots where it's in sharp focus(being pulled off the throne for instance).

exactly! i cant believe it either... the flat grip stunt is everywhere in that throne room, even on a lot of close ups... surprised they didnt throw in the real hero

I think they built their stunts out of Graflex parts, or made them from scratched with 3d Printed and cast parts based on scans off a Graflex. I think it's all custom made replica parts and vintages, and combinations there-of.

(speaking generally, across the board)

Some of these stunts really remind me of the hardware store Graflex builds you see from first-time RPFers. I suppose it's charming in a way.

As @veektohr pointed out elsewhere, Superman can get his mustache removed, but they couldn't paint in an actual Graflex?
I can understand training with something low profile, but when you are shooting film, they should have used something identical to the hero. If it has to be lightweight foam or resin with soft grips, so be it, but these just look bad. Otherwise they should have had her using a plain green hilt that they could have replaced in post.

Nice shot I haven't seen before; lasted for a whole 1 frame before Rey "grabbed" it and it got blurry:
KPpNOwl.jpg

Someone on facebook pointed out the slideswitch is on the wrong side of the graflex - mirrored?
ez84Zv7.jpg

I like this pic, Chewie holding the saber:
ZSvWpSw.jpg

Hopefully uploading everything to my gallery today... Hopefully

Well without a doubt they used vintages for sure as the hero, and based the CG model on the hero. When it's one of those two it seems to be consistent. Where it all goes crazy is the stunt sabers, which there appear to be 5 or 6 different versions of now, I'm guessing each having it's own specific use that may or my not have dictated its appearance.

What kills me is that in this day and age, when every frame is digital and CG assets exist for the parts, it bugs me that they didn't want to spend the time or money to make the stunt sabers appear right.

Took me longer than I had planned but 82 stills are now uploaded to my gallery!

http://graflexbank.com/viiigallery.html

I'll start working on the info pages soon
---

Are you able to and willing to get me 4K screenshots once the 4K version drops? Pleeease let me know! :D I unfortunately can't do that myself, but would love to have some 4K screens up.

Loading times would be a bit much so I would place them on a separate page from the main TLJ Gallery.

You and me both!!
I don't want to harp on it too much, but damn does it bother me now that I've seen it. Especially when every frame in this movie has post processing by some of the finest effects houses in the business... it just comes off plain goofy or lazy that they would have this flaccid stunt coming off Snoke's throne right into the camera, right after 2 minutes of crystal clear close ups of Snoke holding it and it sitting next to him. Details matter: why use real Graflexes for the production and then put a stunt on center stage, in a scene where it's floating in the air??

Does anyone else see blue light coming from the glass eye?
I see it. Good grief that stunt saber again. I understand the appeal of them using real sabers for stunts, but when they look this bad, it makes you wish they would use green rods on an accurate hilt and CGI the blades in.

I see it. Good grief that stunt saber again. I understand the appeal of them using real sabers for stunts, but when they look this bad, it makes you wish they would use green rods on an accurate hilt and CGI the blades in.

Not like the OT or PT were any better:D. There is the scene in Revenge of the Sith where Obi-Wan is preparing to fight Grievous on Utapau. You see a semi-close up of Obi-Wan's lightsaber, and you can clearly tell it's the stunt. I think you can see the both Anakin'sand Obi-Wan's stunt sabers, several times when they fight.

Going back to Rey's stunt saber. I'm surprised we didn't get to see the glass eye lit up in the film. Or maybe we did and they had CG'd it out? It would have made a lot Graflex saber builders happy to see some light coming through the glass eye. Since that is an addition that quite a few guys like to add.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back