The Last Jedi Graflex Research - Spoilers inside!

Re: The Last Jedi Graflex Research - NOT missing rivets!

this looks like a new stunt to me. i think the control box is gone. i wonder if all the props were reengineered by the new prop department? kylo's cross guard also looks different. granted its suppose to be the same, it still looks "off" to me

i bet they did away with the foam lining around the stunts, and made these "stunt hybrids" with flat rubber grips and no box to make things more comfortable. there is some back stage footage on TFA dvd, of rey and kylo fighting and they just have aluminum tube sabers with the stunt fx blades installed

time will tell, i do hate this new stunt though.. that black cap and the end really screws with it visually...

this looks like a new stunt to me. i think the control box is gone. i wonder if all the props were reengineered by the new prop department? kylo's cross guard also looks different. granted its suppose to be the same, it still looks "off" to me

i bet they did away with the foam lining around the stunts, and made these "stunt hybrids" with flat rubber grips and no box to make things more comfortable. there is some back stage footage on TFA dvd, of rey and kylo fighting and they just have aluminum tube sabers with the stunt fx blades installed

time will tell, i do hate this new stunt though.. that black cap and the end really screws with it visually...
I disagree with you on the last part. I think I really like the stunts just because of the grip diversity with the hero props. These will add a whole new "more noticable" look to our stunt sabers in the collection, in the sense that instead of the only differences between hero's and stunts being subtle (i.e. single screw missing, different tape, missing bolt, etc.), we get to make an entirely different and unseen set of sabers that match the screen used pieces as close as possible but also add a whole new look to our collections. But that's just my 2/100 of a dollar.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

If the "stunts" are used during the filming of the lightsaber duel scenes, I really wish they'd make them less noticeably different. If this GRAFLEX TLJ Stunt shows up on film, I'm going to see that black end cap and fixate on it being different from what it's supposed to look like.

Everytime I watch TFA now, all I see is the foam grips and it takes the suspension of disbelief away from me and my movie experience suffers from it. Kind of a bummer.

It's like when Obi-Wan lowers the tip of his lightsaber in ANH during the duel against Vader and his lightsaber "blinks" out for a second, I can't believe during all of the "fixing" that went on for the Special Edition, that noone addressed that.

Speaking of OT lightsabers, I liked the thin bladed styling better than the new FAT, non-tapered blades.

And specifically with the GRAFLEX, if it hurt all of the actors hands who've ever duelled with it, why not just sand off the sharp corners? Silly Prop Master, edges are for HEROes!

Don't even get me started on how lightsaber effects continually get the shaft with each new special edition. From the theatrical to the VHS, to the DVD to the Blue Ray-- they keep futzing, and they never get it right.

And honestly, doing roto-work in the digital age is criminally easy. Time-consuming, but not hard to do right.

So this stunt has a kobold clip and d-ring and something over it or behind it? I don't understand what's going on there. It almost looks like back photoshop.

IMG_2237.PNGIMG_2238.PNGIMG_2239.PNG

Last edited:

That's definitely a photoshop error. It looks like they tried to comp in the kobold clip to look legit, but forgot to get rid of the stunt black endcap.

Last edited:

That's definitely a photoshop error. It looks like they tried to comp in the kobold clip to look legit, but forgot to get ride of the stunt black endcap.
I cannot stop laughing at this error... Errors happen but this one... For some reason just.. hehe.. gets to me lol.

Not sure if these have been posted else where, but these hi-res posters give a pretty good look at the the TLJ graflex.
Those look like rivets to me!
Star Wars The Last Jedi - The Protege -Rey Character Poster- CloseUp.jpgStar Wars The Last Jedi - The Protege -Rey Character Poster.jpg

*typetypetype* ENHAAAAANCE

attachment.jpg

I agree, the holes look very round, dont see any hint of a geometric shape. You can also see hints of the flat surface from the rivet gun pressing against the rivet when its pulled.

I don't know, I see Phillips head screws :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*typetypetype* ENHAAAAANCE

View attachment 753693

I agree, the holes look very round, dont see any hint of a geometric shape. You can also see hints of the flat surface from the rivet gun pressing against the rivet when its pulled.
I agree. Definintly looks to be rivets on this one. Mainly because of the flat top. With a curved top I would guess more towards and Alan/hex screw but the flat top sells it for me. Looks alot like a 1/8" pop rivet

I wouldn't trust my judgement on this (!), but I can kinda make out a hex shape on the left one...

But I can also see them being flat.

Man-- thank god they actually used the hero for that shot.

The beer tab rivet looks super flat.

My memory fails me, was rivets ever confirmed for TFA?

My memory fails me, was rivets ever confirmed for TFA?

I don't think there was ever anything as clear as this shot. But I'll argue until I'm blue in the face that TFA had rivets

Thank god we finally got a real good shot...

Now is that a folmer flash?

I believe there has still been some debate over rivets vs. hex screws, but if that's the hero prop, then I'd say rivets confirmed! At least for TLJ anyways.
Best look we've seen yet.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back