3d Printing a Robocop Suit

image.jpgJust a progress shot all laid out

part 1 of left shin completed. onto the crown (top) of left shin. part 2. part three is from middle to ankle. once thats done Left thigh. pics to come.

Be aware that the right thigh is different than the left. The right thigh I got is a mirrored version of the left. The renders from do3d have the correct one. I contacted them but still no response.

I contacted them and they responded. I asked about the correct render for right thigh, presented my receipt and they said they would get me the file. thats been a few days now. Will wait and see.

- - - Updated - - -

left upper thigh taking awhile. My lil printer is getting a bit shaky. This is lots of work for a machine like this. maintenance is nonstop on it.

Some progress! Been out of town. Sanded and prepped left bicep today. Working on forearm too. Laid a test coat of metallic on it to see. Added the details to front shell. Looks alright.. here it is. Still have some small bondo work ahead but very little.IMG_0844.JPGIMG_0845.JPGsmal curved holein the big shoulder circle, might leave in as ventilation lol

- - - Updated - - -

sanding this plastic is a real B#$()* if you get my meaning.. damn its ridiculous.

bought some of that XTC-3D epoxy coating. Worth a try, this sanding ****** aint for me. I do enough of it with other projects. lol

yes I bought the primer/filler type stuff. It does decent on edges but the print layers are pretty thick in a few places(cheap printer) require more than the good ole primer. Its a process for sure.

Last edited:
Printing the upper left shoulder for back plate. Sorry for lack of pics lately, lots of pieces to glue and Ive been working nights. I will try and have something soon

IMG_1138.JPGA long hiatus due to some long standing personal stuff has kept me from getting this suit completed. I am finally back to the grind. Helmet just came off the printer today. My aNet A8 was basically dead for a few months but I have repaired it and here we are.. good to return to my thread.. more to come. So great to see the progress all the other suits around me are making.

I have just started printing my own suit now. I'm starting wit the helmet. For your helmet did you slice it at all or print it upside down to reduce filament waste or was the whole inside printed with supports?

I cut the helmet into two pieces that fit on the printer bed. I printed it upside up. If you try to print it upside down you will have loads of support structure holding the outer shape up, without the support the helmet could break off and fall off the bed. As it went the main section only needed one main support pillar on the inside center and some smaller ones around the visor area.

- - - Updated - - -

started the right leg today. :) excited as I think it will be the last of the parts I am going to print. Am going to use Crafting foam to recreate the torso so I can have more movement, the fingers as well. I decided on crafting foam for the fingers because well I wanted to be able to feel things through the foam as opposed to plastic, and I am really good at EVA foam work. ;)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back