Black Series Poe helmet by Hasbro

So I was just informed by my wife that I have guests coming for dinner tonight, so the review will be a little late. It will still be up tonight, just not as early as I had intended.

IMG_7228.JPG

More to come...

Poe Dameron Black Series Helmet Review

So, long story short. I saw this helmet pop up on OfferUp, and didn't know the helmet was not supposed to be out yet. Regardless, it's the real deal. I'm pretty excited to be able to share what I've learned about this helmet now that I have it in hand.

Packaging

The packaging is pretty standard for the Black Series line. Most of the text is in aruebesh, and it has some pretty nice shots of the helmet.

IMG_7221.JPG IMG_7222.JPG IMG_7223.JPGIMG_7224.JPG
IMG_7225.JPG IMG_7226.JPG IMG_7227.JPG IMG_7228.JPG

Interior

The interior is fairly basic, so you won't find anything like leather, vinyl, or microfiber materials you see in Anovos, Efx, or Master Replicas products. There are two disc shaped pads on the sides. These are held on by velcro, and look pretty good when attached. they are connected on each side, and to the strip of padding on the top. All of this is removable, so if you decide to mod the interior, you should have no problem making adjustments. The padding around the mouth area is a soft rubber that seems like it'll collect dirt pretty easily, so keep that in mind.

IMG_7230.JPG IMG_7231.JPG IMG_7232.JPG IMG_7233.JPG

Sound

There are three speakers in total. One in the back, and two towards the front. The rebel symbol on the exterior of the helmet is the button used to activate the sound. There is also an on/off switch towards the rear of the helmet that would need to be turned on before the activation button can be used. I actually really like that they did this, It prevents the sound from coming on if you do not want to use it. On the opposite side of the helmet from the rebel symbol, the battery pack is hidden behind the ear piece. you can easily pull this piece off (but not too easily) and use a screw driver to change the batteries. The helmet takes 3 AA batteries. I did not have a chance to record a video of the sound, but will post that in a couple days. The sound FX are actually pretty cool, but I feel they'll lose their appeal pretty quickly. The sound is actually pretty immersive when you're actually wearing the helmet, but you can barely hear it from the outside, even in a quiet room. There appears to be three different sequences that play out when you turn it on. One sequence even ends with what sounds like Poe getting shot down. The sound of the engines starting, and TIE Fighters flying around is pretty cool. The look on my little daughter's faces was priceless when they tried it on.

IMG_7234.JPG IMG_7248.JPG IMG_7249.JPG

Last edited:
Exterior

The exterior is actually quite impressive. The paint job is quite impressive. None of it appears to be decals, so nothing is raised, or looks like it could peel off. The color appears to be spot on, and no glaring inaccuracies that I could spot. There are two main issues that I can see that should be fixed. The first is the weathering. I'm actually impressed that Hasbro attempted it, but almost wish they hadn't. If they had just left it "shiny" we could weather this thing easily, and make it look amazing. The trouble now is, you have to work around what is already there. I still think i'm going to use some Rub n' Buff, and even some Nuln Oil to really make this thing pop. The second issue is the Mic, and other "silver" greeblies. They are made out of that fake looking plastic "silver" that really doesn't have any shine. I believe this can easily be fixed by a little metallic/chrome paint, or by replacing them with metal parts. I'm sure some talented folks here will be offering mod parts to do just that. Also, the mic is missing the silver wire that should run just under the bar (I kept forgetting to rotate the mic so the bar is on the top). One of the more unexpected features is that the visor is fully retractable. The mechanism feels pretty sturdy, and even has a satisfying "click" when you push it back.
IMG_7235.JPG IMG_7236.JPG IMG_7237.JPG IMG_7238.JPGIMG_7239.JPG IMG_7240.JPG IMG_7242.JPG IMG_7243.JPGIMG_7243.JPG IMG_7244.JPG IMG_7245.JPG IMG_7246.JPGIMG_7247.JPG

Now that I think about it, you can see in the close up shots, another minor issue. There appears to be a seam line that runs across the back of the helmet. It looks like it can easily be sanded, but then it would require a complete re-paint. Honestly, it's not something you can really notice until you look at it closely. IMG_7247.JPG

Last edited:
Measurements/Scale

The helmet with the pads in is really snug. I'm 6' 2", and have a fairly large head, and wearing it with the side pads is not comfortable for long. Remove the side pads, and it slides on easily. It seems that when I wear it, the mandibles on the helmet line up right where they should. I don't have any way of knowing for sure, but my guess is this helmet is very close in size to the real thing.
IMG_7254.JPG IMG_7256.JPG IMG_7255.JPG

To give an idea of how it stacks up, i'm using my Black Series Kylo Ren (modded by the great Richard Campbell) and my Anovos First Order Stormtrooper helmet. The Poe helmet should be slightly smaller than Kylo Ren's in over all size, but much smaller than the Stormtrooper. I think these pictures show that it looks fairly accurate in scale.

IMG_7251.JPG IMG_7253.JPG

The Force Awakens, or The Last Jedi?

So this is the interesting part. When I got the helmet, I was prepared to do a full overhaul of the interior and paint it black. Poe's helmet in TFA has a black interior. I was curious why Hasbro would go with a tan interior for this helmet, but now that I have it, I'm convinced it's based on The Last Jedi version. If you look at the picture below of the upcoming Anovos helmet, the logo on the ear opposite the rebel symbol only as a tan line around the circle, and not the swirly thing above it. Also, the circular button at the top of the visor is also gray. This color scheme is confirmed by the film. The screenshot from the movie below shows the Anovos is accurate.

Star_Wars_Poe_Dameron_X-Wing_Helmet_03.jpg poe-dameron.png

Looking at the Black Series helmet, the visor has a Black button at the top, and the swirly bit above the circle also has a tan line around it. This is different from the TFA helmet. I thought this was just another thing I would have to paint, but then I looked that the leaked toy box art closely. You can see that the helmets match, basically confirming that this helmet is in fact based on The Last Jedi, and not The Force Awakens. I have yet to get a good look, but I'd be willing to bet the interior on the helmet from The Last Jedi will be tan, not black.

IMG_7240.JPG tumblr_olhxzw14Or1ue779no2_1280.jpg

Verdict

For the money, this is an amazing helmet. Given the assumed price point of $80, It's almost too good to pass up. The re-paint possibilities alone are reason enough to pick it up. Looking at this, and what my Kylo Ren Black Series looked like out of the box, the Poe helmet is hands down the better helmet. It seems far more accurate, and will need much less customization to make it look fantastic. While not perfect, and probably not as good at the Anovos will be, I feel that this helmet will still look great on the shelf. As someone that has a mix of high end, fan made, and retail helmets, this one is definitely a step in the right direction for Hasbro.

If anyone as any questions, or would like additional pictures, please feel free to let me know. I will attempt to capture the sound, but It'll probably take a couple of days so please bare with me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up and great pics. What a time to be alive...when I was a kid I had a hard rubber Stormtrooper lid that looked like an epileptic octopus sculpted it (and I was happy). Now Hasbro is upping the game with really accurate helmets for cheap.

This helmet would look great with the Hallmark Christmas ornament of Poes Ship.

Wasn't it supposed to also have a bluetooth feature? Thanks!

I checked the box, and the instructions. There is no mention of Bluetooth capability. I didn't know this before, but the helmet actually has a microphone built into it that activates the BB-8 sound FX. There are no specific commands, it just recognizes a voice and it plays the audio.

Wicked!! Thank you so much for such an in-depth review.

I've been excited about this since it was announced, but I really can't believe how great it is. Considering how much time I've spent modding my BS Kylo Res helmet (almost a year and still working on it), it appears this thing barely requires any mods out of the box. Maybe a repaint too, but that's nothing when you're getting it for $80!!

Keep on killin' it Hasbro! Can't wait to get my hands on this beauty!

I will offer decals for people that want to make a Poe white, Pava, or Snap helmet out of it. I have rescaled the graphics from the Poe helmet run that Rocketeer and I did last year.

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine today and Ackbar nailed the description. The audio is really cool and totally immersive in 3D surround like a mini high end theater room. The cheek pads are a little tight but if you remove them the helmet will wobble around. So a good upgrade would be to remake them in black but with a thinner padding.

Paint job is good but a little more weathering here and there......it will come out great.

But for now.....its in the Detolf case..

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back