Blaster concepts brought to life: DF1 Bryar, Custom Rogue One, 1313 original blaster

Detreut

There are several incarnations of the Bryar Pistol in existence (aka. the Modified Bryar Pistol). All are different in some regard, but after doing some research I didn't find ANY accurate information on the original Bryar, the one from Dark Forces 1.

I soon found out why:

There are 4 images in existence. They are beautiful pieces of art, yet ****ty sprites.

First, I managed to get my hands on the ripped spites from the first person view in HD (I love you, DOLPHMAN). But they weren't enough. I lacked so many details and necessery information I thought I hit a dead end. The breakthrough came from finding the inventory image, which is the only image that gives indication of the scale and size. Working backwards from the size of a Sterling SMG clip i figured the cylinder had to be 50mm. From that I could work out the approximate sizes of everything else.

The barrel-parts are reworkings of the E11 Blater barrel and the DF2 Bryar front. I really don't like the look of the Bryar in the cutscenes of DF2, and there are no images of the front from DF1 in existence, so I got to be a bit creative. I think I managed to get the parts to feel "right".

One fiddly part was the magizine. As you can see it sits on a bit of an angle.. an impossible angle if one wants the cylinder to be symmetric.

And here it is, 15 hours of CAD and measuring later I think I've made the most accurate 3d model of the pistol in existence. Now I just have to build it and really bring it to life:

(One square=1cm2)
(The depth of the images gets a bit wonky thanks to CATIA, which for some reason doesn't use depth(?), but the images with the grid are 100% accurate)

Bryar 2.pngBryar 1.pngBryar 3.pngBryar 4.pngBryar 5.pngBryar 6.pngBryar 7.pngBryar 8.pngBryar 9.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Accurate Modified Bryar Pistol (Dark Forces 1) Blueprints

I really never thought the grips would be so thin. Looks a little off balance to me.

Nice work on the model, though!

Might have done the grips on the thin side! But the basic look should be correct... I think I got to play around with the gripdesign in real life to get it right haha! Thanks :)

Overall you did a great job. The only thing I see is that at least from side profile of the reference, your grip's side profile appears incorrect. Granted it's a crappy sprite, but what I see is it having more of a classic revolver style curved grip

Not sure if it's a variation, but this gun is in Battlefront

Now that you mention it, you are entirely right... didn't notice it befire and got stuck with the grip design from DF2, gonna make an update asap! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yepp that is correct, but they managed to completely kill off the soul of the weapon this time (even though it looks pretty cool)!

rkF78Gj.jpg

I think a sawed off version of this would be almost spot on (with a metal core). If I remember correctly, the pistol is supposed to be a stock and barrel saw-off!

Yeah it's supposed to be a cut down rifle. I'm kind of surprised we've never seen the whole rifle in the EU somewhere.

I've been planning to build one for a while, and the only thing I can notice is that maybe the in game version's grip has a little more angle than your model.

Bryar Grip1.png

I redid the grip from scratch. Now it's a darn close match to the inventory picture... making a grip with the correct shape wasn't the easiest of tasks haha.. what do you guys think?

One upcoming problem: What material is the grip supposed to be made of? The color in the inventory pic suggests that it is made from the same material as the cooling coils (aged bronze), or should it be wood in the same color-tint as the coils? The other weapons in the inventory, which are confirmed to be made with wood parts, have a different brown tint to them..

And if made of aged bronze, I think it will need some knurling to look reasonable.

I could maybe make a rifle version of it in the future, based on my files, if you guys find it correct enough to be worth the effort? But it wont happen untill the file is as correct as it is ever going to be first :p Nice, keep me posted if you get the project going! :))

Last edited:

I would take the curve out of it, more like the original, just at that angle. It looks like it would be uncomfortable, but my nephew had a NERF gun like that and it works. I always thought the handle, if it was real, was metal with wood inlay. Someone on here, in another thread, worked on the game and had pics of the DF2 prop, but never posted them.

You would be right if I was building a DF2, but as Tubachris said, it's more of a revolver style grip in DF1(?). They changed it to the one you are talking about in DF2... messy, but part of the charm of replicating the DF1 haha..

Hmm.. I'm leaning towards wood inlay.. but I'm not entirely sure yet :)

I also had a small breakthrough yesterday: The Bryar actually has an iron sight in the original sprite!! I think I've looked one to many times at those pictures haha.
I will post a detail update as well as a highlight regarding the sights after todays skiing-session ��

Last edited:

Bryar Sights.png
I saw those little pixels and didn't got what they were, until yesterday evening.

The front sight is heavily inspired by that of a MP40 and I consider it done, the one at the back still needs a bit of inspiration and work.

Bryar CMgrid.pngBryar Comparison.pngBryar Promo.png

Changelog:

-Added front and rear sights (MP40 inspired)
-Added a d-ring beneath the muzzle (inspired by the troopers in SWTORs "Hope")
-Shortened grip to match the referens picture
-Redid the hammer
-Redid the inside of the cylinder/the cylinder heat sink

What do you guys think? Have I missed anything or added something that absolutely doesn't fit?

In my opinion, this is as much reverse engineering one can do with such limited referense. Given that the DF2 prop and in-game gun, as well as the JKJO, isn't based on more information than I have to work with (and in some aspects are hatchetjobs of the original design as you can clearly see..).

image.jpg

Today I started the manufacturing process... the cylinder is made from a wooden ball (50mm) cut with a band saw. I would highly advice agains that if possible, while cutting spheres is not only dangerous if done incorrectly, but also could ruin the saw (I sent the ball flying when it almost locked the blade).

The tube is cardboard (52mm), because the only suitable rings I could find for the coil was wooden curtain rings (53/37mm). Fingers crossed that the dimensions are correct when they are delivered.

The grip is only 7mm thick at the moment, thanks to a lack of 10mm board. I like the thickness for the trigger part, but I think I'll have to thicken the grip with two 1mm sheets of cardboard to get it to atleast 9mm, otherwise the hammer will look out of proportion in relation to it.

Last edited:

17006000_10202554833869191_1755100065_n.jpg16997590_10202554827789039_1149561459_n.jpg16997375_10202554827629035_1367293075_n.jpg

I managed to solve the problem with the front grip.. at least for the moment. I picked up a 2mm plastic cutting board that flexes quite a lot, which makes it really easy to work with when doing rounded applications. Another bonus was that you could trim it with scissors, without to much resistance from the material. The con with the material is the flex in the finishing stages... unlike acrylic, it will bend, even when cold, but I deemed it to damn hard to heatbend the alternative materials (plus the experiment with the cutting board cost me 4$). A couple of coats of spray-filler later and I think the surface is smooth enough to be painted :thumbsup

I did some more work on the grip, it now has the same thickness as the hammer (9mm), and I added the connector between the grip and the trigger. The best thing would have been to make the trigger integrated in the grip, by just carving it out of the same woodslab as the rest... but what I will lack in rigidity, I will gain in the looks-department when I have a lot of separate parts, that can (and will) be painted separately.

I still haven't received the curtain rings for the coil... so I'm still in limbo when it comes to that stage.

received_10202559830274098.jpeg

Most of the nuts and bolt are cut to size and done.. trigger added and some minor detail work. And I decided to go with the wooden handle in a bronze-color! Gotta say I'm really happy with the color I achieved on the pear-wood, the only regret I have is being a tad bit sloppy with the sanding of the grips, as they aren't perfectly even and symmetrical. But they will play the part ;)

I know my recording device didn't do a good job, but to add some variation to the updates, here's a video update:

This afternoon I threw my buildorder out the window (I couldn't keep myself from painting up two parts to see what the finished product will look like).

The pieces was sprayed with automotive black, and then painted using acrylic paints from citadel (finding a suitable brasscolor wasn't the easiest task). The bolts and rivets were given a light sanding to allow some metal to show. The edges were drybrushed and I then added a brown/black wash to selected areas with oilpaint (nice contradiction to have an oilpaint that can be thinned with water).

Feels like I'm closing in on the objective of having the most badass sawed off laser shotgun in sci-fi history haha!

20170301_170958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

20170306_160900.jpg 20170306_160409.jpg

Here is where I am at... to say the least, this was a BAD day for building.

1) I didn't take the changed diameter of the coil into consideration, which forced me to go with the small curved "plate" to add 1.5mm beneath the cylinder tube. So far so good, and I had a couple of fitting screws laying around.

2) When adding the plate i didn't center it properly... and the glue set befire I could do anything about it. I was damn close to do permanent damage to the grip when removing it and barely managed to save the piece.

3) While adjusting the plate I managed to loosen the pins between the grip and the coil, which means that it is now in an upright position getting glued again.

The good thing is that this was the most crucial stage. Adding the cylinder and finishing it will be an easy task, and the barrel should not be able to create any problems at all... I'm actually quite relieved that the Bryar is almost finished, this build has been damn fiddly and the problem with cylinder diameters is reoccuring in every stage. But the look of the pistol and the feel of how close I am is a damn good motivation.

20170312_135231.jpg20170312_135222(1).jpg20170312_135336(0).jpg20170312_135241.jpg

Got a new job last week, so I was unable to continue working on the Bryar until this morning!

I had 2 options for the fins on the cylinder: 3d print (and spend a huge amount of time on sanding and getting a good fit) or try to make them out of thin cardboard. I chose the latter, which means they are hollow (Pros: The piece is lighter, was easier to build and cheaper. Cons: Not as rigid and could be a bit more exact in the dimensions).

Im in the last part of the build now, and I gotta say it feels amazing to finally be able to hold this little *****r ;) The wierd thing is by how much I misjudged the grip. It is actually highly usable!

The inner workings of the cylinder (the cooling cylinder) needs to be CAD:ed and 3D printed, as does the muzzle. I don't even want to think about how hard it would be to get the correct dimensions and angles on that one if I made it out of wood. The plates behind and in front of it will be made of masonite (I think).

I think it's looking good. Is it at all comfortable to hold?

It's cool seeing people's​ different interpretations of this blaster

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back