Gary Kurtz interview

Fun read. It talked about him working on a film called 1977 in which kids go see Star Wars on the first day in 77. Well, I can't seem to find any info on that film. Anyone know anything about it.
I always said if I could go through time, while theres plenty of times I'd go visit, May 25th 1977 would be one of them. Just to see how it all unfolded would be really cool.

It was a blast!

I was there first showing and the line was around the block, we all had anticipated that this was going to be something special;

Still have my Program I bought and, the free "May The Force Be With You" button they were handing out

I always said if I could go through time, while theres plenty of times I'd go visit, May 25th 1977 would be one of them. Just to see how it all unfolded would be really cool.

It was a blast!

I was there first showing and the line was around the block, we all had anticipated that this was going to be something special;

Still have my Program I bought and, the free "May The Force Be With You" button they were handing out
My parents went to see it and yeah, line around the block. They instead went to Smokey and the Bandit, waited, then saw Star Wars.

Is this the same Chris Gore, the enormous tool, from G4? Every other question was pretty much "Lucas was awful, admit it!"

I saw both ESB and ROTJ at the theater, but really only clearly remember ROTJ (I was 6). I saw it twice and both times there were lines around the block to get in.

Is this the same Chris Gore, the enormous tool, from G4?

I'll take the Chris Gore who said that two DVD/BluRay releases were a "Must Buy" even though they were just repackaged re-releases of the previously released discs, and gave a brand new, never before released set of MST3K episodes a rental.

"But Jeyl," I hear you saying. "It's clear that Chris Gore isn't a fan of this series so what's wrong with him giving it a rental?"

Because of this.

1. He said these were un-aired episodes. Ok, he might have mis-phrased it here since these were episodes that were never been released onto home video until this set.
2. It's a rental because you can still watch it on TV. MST3K was done being syndicated years before this set was released, and I should know because I was there with my friends watching the last broadcasted episode on the scifi channel. It was the Screaming Skull. Also, how to you watch episodes on TV when they're un-aired?
3. He couldn't even identify the movies that were on the set when clips were being shown. He was off to a good start with Laserblast, but when it cut to Spaceship to Venus, he had no idea what he was watching. "Wait... That isn't Laserblast."
4. The 20th Anniversary Set came with a little Crow T. Robot figure. When Chris Gore picked it up to showcase it, he stumbled on trying to remember what it actually was. If he had just looked at the base that had the figure's name on it, maybe he wouldn't have been so lost. Chris Gore. Too lazy to understand the thing he's holding.
5. He admitted he didn't watch the full set.........

Yeah. This Mistie doesn't appreciate Chris Gore's talent.

Fun read. It talked about him working on a film called 1977 in which kids go see Star Wars on the first day in 77. Well, I can't seem to find any info on that film. Anyone know anything about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-25-77

Great interview, read it years ago. Gary Kurtz was such a gentleman. SW would've been 100% better (JEDI, prequels) if he'd still been involved.

Still have my 1977 release program booklet too. Wish I'd gotten ahold of the glossy prerelease pressbook/theater brochure, and a prerelease mylar poster. Those were skyrocketing in price within a year. :(

And a MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU button is still in my collectibles trunk.

\\ Sent from my mobile device //

I think the Phantom Menance was so fresh that everyone had to get it off their chest because it was so bad. Emperor has no clothes - that about sums it up.

Yea - what happen to 1977.

There was a guy here working on Studio Scale Models under a tight deadline for a real B production film. I think it was this premace, but this was around 04 05. I think the thread died, but he was really excited and said it was cool.

I think the Phantom Menance was so fresh that everyone had to get it off their chest because it was so bad. Emperor has no clothes - that about sums it up.

Kurtz gave a one sentence description of what E1 was 'supposed' to have been, circa 1977/80 and it seems infinitely more interesting then TPM.

In the TPM, something that bugs me to this day is the 'at last we will reveal ourselves, at last we will have revenge.' and even in the theatre i said (and heard others say) 'for what?'

it only took 16 more years to get the answer :)

Is this the same Chris Gore, the enormous tool, from G4? Every other question was pretty much "Lucas was awful, admit it!"

I saw both ESB and ROTJ at the theater, but really only clearly remember ROTJ (I was 6). I saw it twice and both times there were lines around the block to get in.

Yeah, it seemed like he kept trying to bait Kurtz into totally bashing Lucas rather than pursue more interesting details in his statements. Also, I don't know if it was Kurtz or the editing, but some things just seemed really weird and disjointed when reading it, like there was a seperate question that was asked bu t not printed

After a while I got the feeling like Kurtz was getting annoyed that it kept coming back to let's bash Lucas

Agreed. He lived through this, poured his heart and soul into working with Lucas, his interest in talking about the ol' days is very different from outsiders who are fascinated with the BTS stories.

And it's not like he was eager to bash his old colleague. I've never gotten any inkling that Kurtz was kind of fellow.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back