Velociraptor claw on an Isla Nublar rock display (tutorial)

It's been a month, but I finally made some more headway. The master is now about 98% finished.

tbC67OA.gif

fLDkt7M.jpg

TFXqNod.jpg

RwghpLj.jpg

L7refFt.jpg

1NK1zL3.jpg

VxrT3zr.jpg

mr7sHDd.jpg

Still need to patch up a few areas with epoxy, rather than plaster. The areas in question is very small and tight, which plaster doesn't let itself to. I also need to use fine-grit sandpaper to file down some of the areas that have very obvious scrape marks - I'm going for more of a chipped stone look, rather than scraped stone.

Thanks! Also you gave me a mini heart attack. I saw there was a comment from you, and thought I was in trouble.

Haha... it isn't always about whacking people with a stick... well... I mean, MOST of the time it is, but not always!

You should totally go premium and sell some of these in the Junkyard. I know I'd buy a couple claws! Fantastic work and great job on the tutorial as well!

2 solid layers of Dark Tan. 1 dry-brush layer of Sand. 1 wash of Sand. 1 dry-brush of light Olive Drab. 1 dry-brush of Radome Tan. 1 more dry-brush of Sand. 1 speckling of custom mixed grey. 1 speckling of light Olive Drab. 1 speckling of Radome Tan. 1 speckling of Dark Tan.

wspufMM.gif

pcvU8de.gif

TnnXQr1.jpg

GFXbCNl.jpg

0vn5nNS.jpg

ij0p2Gl.jpg

QXufBDo.jpg

QnJzNJQ.jpg

tPBizHF.jpg

D7dlvZ7.jpg

This is the reference image I was tasked with emulating:
swwoyFu.jpg

Finally wore out the mold for the fossil claw. I'm going to have to make a new mold with softer silicone. But before that, I have to repair the plaster master, since it broke when I demolded it the first time. I don't want to use a resin pull as a second-gen master, since even the smallest deformities have been causing a lot of fitment issues with the Vertical Rock display (the one with the claw-shaped recess).

Anyway, all the nooks and grooves on the claw were grabbing and ripping the silicone apart from the inside, until it finally tore a huge chunk out of both halves of the mold.
rP6kPuR.jpg

Last edited:
Brown Vertical rock display:

yCWCZZW.jpg

HSZYLfY.jpg

FkljzBR.jpg

Brown on brown:

VQERumt.jpg

Black on brown:

9tks14Q.jpg

Grey on brown:

NjZ1dHT.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Black on black:
22ZpW0L.jpg

Grey on black:
APBRk2W.jpg

Brown on black:
x5rM2vp.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back