Altered Carbon (Netflix)

I feel about this like I feel about the original Blade Runner. It has all the stuff I like, but something feels flat and uninteresting. It also has a "seen it all before" vibe.

You saw Blade Runner in the 80's and thought you had seen it all before? Oh.

You saw Blade Runner in the 80's and thought you had seen it all before? Oh.

AC has the "seen it all before" vibe. There's a period (.) there between the comparison of blade runner. Meaning that it's a whole separated point.

But if you'd like to know. Blade Runner is hardly original itself. The dense sci-fi cityscape was seen in movies as far back as Metropolis. And intelligent synthetic beings have been a sci-fi staple since at least Frankenstein. Perhaps you should take more time looking into the classics before trying to criticize someone else' post.

AC has the "seen it all before" vibe. There's a period (.) there between the comparison of blade runner. Meaning that it's a whole separated point.

But if you'd like to know. Blade Runner is hardly original itself. The dense sci-fi cityscape was seen in movies as far back as Metropolis. And intelligent synthetic beings have been a sci-fi staple since at least Frankenstein. Perhaps you should take more time looking into the classics before trying to criticize someone else' post.

Oh, a Metropolis reference. And Frankenstein. You are so wordly and experienced. You sound like someone who saw BR in the 90's or even the 2000's and though it looked familiar because of everything else that descended from it. And then read the wiki page to find a few sources that it itself might reference. Ho hum, moving along.

Win7ermute
The word you are looking for is "worldly", not "wordly".......:D

You took exception when you thought I determined that BR was derivative. That means you thought BR was a wholly original concept. And now you accuse me of copying the wiki, even though you're the only one who has demonstrated a need to use that resource. You would have to have referenced it to know it cites both Frankenstein and Metropolis.

How does one "sound like" they saw BR in the 90's and 2000's? And why is it not possible that someone actually just knew that Metropolis and Frankenstein existed and BR was based on them in part? How do you think the people that wrote the wiki knew? The wiki wasn't there for them to learn that before it was written.....:lol

Also, strictly speaking. Blade Runner is based on a book. "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Even if Metropolis and Frankenstein never existed, it would still be unoriginal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started watching ....after the first episode honestly I will say I can see it taking several twists and turns, especially with the body swatching business here.

watched the first 2 eps,quite good.
it's a slow burn but i think it will get better with each episode.
visually it's awsome,a mix of bladerunner,br2049 an total recall reboot.yeah,a bit of a cyber punk vibe there for sure.
netflix really do spend some money on these productions and it shows.:thumbsup

Just finished the season. Really enjoyed it. It scratches the cyberpunk itch in a big way. For an old school fan of the genre, there isn't a whole lot of new material that does that.

It's interesting to see characters portrayed by more than 1 performer, as many of the characters in this show were. That was just a lot of fun to watch how they handled it creatively, and narratively. The visuals, sets, production value, were all solid. The writing and directing on the show was very consistant and well done.

I agree it was cool to see Matt Frewer! Man, he was creepy as hell.

Screenshotted a few prop pics:

carbon1.jpg

carbon2.jpg

Eh, 3 episodes in....
While production value is high and for it being a seasonal show, it rivals a lot of movies in quality, but it is not keeping my attention. I don’t know if it is just a slow pacing or if I feel I’ve seen subject matter similar to this before. I just don’t see myself interested in finishing it.... even with nudity. :lol

I loved the first book, thought the second was okay, bailed halfway through the third. I discovered that ultimately, I loved Altered Carbon more for the DNA it was building from (Neuromancer, Blade Runner, Dashiel Hammet, Philip K Dick, etc) than for what it actually was.,

The story is similar for the show. I really liked it-- but mostly because it was a great and well-done version of stuff I really like. I love cyberpunk stuff and this was a great entry into the genre. I think the first couple episodes were kind of expository, but once they got all the tech explanation out of the way for the audience it hummed along nicely. JoelMcCinnamon is great, so is Poe. Loved seeing Lester from Vinyl in something else. Lots of pretty people. Cast wise, Ortega is the only weak part for me-- she's not the best actor when it comes to the bigger emotional beats.

Curious about season 2-- will they keep Joel as Takeshi and find a way around him giving Riker his body back-- or will they go all Dr. Who and give us a new Takeshi every season?

Just started binge watching Altered Carbon, love it already, guns, guns, guns, some are gonna be cult I'm sure lovin' the Sunjet 2320.

I'm about 7 episodes in, it's interesting, a little jumpy at this point for my liking and it throws lots of curve balls which isn't a bad thing, but I sometimes feel like I have ADD when watching this and I start to wonder.........

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back