Altered Carbon (Netflix)

There was an extensive scene where I felt really weird watching it, where the same person is nude 9 different ways...but also an action scene at the same time so I thought to myself that the reason for the nudity felt a bit forced.

It's all forced. There was no nudity whatsoever that actually added to the plot, that the scene couldn't have been shot just as well without it. There's another show on right now called Counterpart that has the same problem. Just random nudity thrown in for the sake of nudity. The same thing in Westworld. It's just dumb.

Yes. The stack is the storage device, the information is the person. so there are numerous times and plots that require an individual do beam into a new body. They only show a person beam OUT a few times (usually you just see a new body waking up, as someone beams IN). getting out of a body usually consists of being in a type of full body pod (presumably to keep the body alive and well while you're gone) or once or twice a neck strap device being used to completely abandon a body and be beamed to a body someplace else.

So if the person is the information, its basically like consciousness has been digitized, or is this the brain scan been copied or whatever? Seems to me at this point the line between a person and an AI with the thoughts/memories becomes really blurred.

So if the person is the information, its basically like consciousness has been digitized, or is this the brain scan been copied or whatever? Seems to me at this point the line between a person and an AI with the thoughts/memories becomes really blurred.

It feels more like the "consciousness is digitized" angle, but there's some oddity that goes with that. They never try to explain HOW the stack interacts with the brain; does the human brain no longer hold/determine consciousness, and is simply a data processor for the stack now? Is everything going on in the brain normally, but the stack is just a constantly updating, on site backup drive? This doesn't seem to be the case, since whenever a person transfers out, the body goes limp, like there's no person in it, so the body doesn't seem to be able to function without the "mind" uploaded into the stack. but is this because the human consciousness TRUELY transferred out, or just because the stack shuts the mind down when there's nothing uploaded? The mechanics aren't covered, just the way society looks at them.

Socially, they treat it like wherever the active version of your mind's information is, is you. regardless of how many back ups there are, and where; BUT they still treat it like you're alive if your stack is destroyed, and a backed up version of you is downloaded into a new body (you just loose the memories associated with time between back up and destruction of your stack).

To an extent, that seems to put humanity on an AI kind of path, except that the show has AI's, and they seem to function quite differently than a human in a stack does.

It feels more like the "consciousness is digitized" angle, but there's some oddity that goes with that. They never try to explain HOW the stack interacts with the brain; does the human brain no longer hold/determine consciousness, and is simply a data processor for the stack now? Is everything going on in the brain normally, but the stack is just a constantly updating, on site backup drive? This doesn't seem to be the case, since whenever a person transfers out, the body goes limp, like there's no person in it, so the body doesn't seem to be able to function without the "mind" uploaded into the stack. but is this because the human consciousness TRUELY transferred out, or just because the stack shuts the mind down when there's nothing uploaded? The mechanics aren't covered, just the way society looks at them.

Socially, they treat it like wherever the active version of your mind's information is, is you. regardless of how many back ups there are, and where; BUT they still treat it like you're alive if your stack is destroyed, and a backed up version of you is downloaded into a new body (you just loose the memories associated with time between back up and destruction of your stack).

To an extent, that seems to put humanity on an AI kind of path, except that the show has AI's, and they seem to function quite differently than a human in a stack does.

Gets even more complicated when you double sleeve. Like Kovacs and Dimi the twin did. Im guessing that makes one of you has to be an AI copied to a separate stack otherwise two of you couldnt be walking around at the same time. And I agree about AI being 'different' from humans, maybe its jsut the humans here think they still are holding on to their humanity because they walk around in flesh?

Also the AI like Poe didnt seem bound to humans, seemed to be more or less free to do their own thing, and pick whoever they liked to follow. Like Poe tried his best to become 'friends' with Kovacs after Tak paid for the room.

There was an extensive scene where I felt really weird watching it, where the same person is nude 9 different ways...but also an action scene at the same time so I thought to myself that the reason for the nudity felt a bit forced.
That was a weird scene. I assume you mean the one where Ortega was fighting all the clones of Rei. On one hand, it made sense that they were all nude. On the other hand, they could have had Ortega fight and kill a fully dressed Rei and then have her "rescue" the kid. But the fight really didn't add anything to the story except to say Rei was rich enough to own all those clones. But owning a floating snuff bordello said that too.

I was going to put some of that in a spoiler tag, but anybody reading this far really should have watched the whole thing by now.

That was a weird scene. I assume you mean the one where Ortega was fighting all the clones of Rei. On one hand, it made sense that they were all nude. On the other hand, they could have had Ortega fight and kill a fully dressed Rei and then have her "rescue" the kid. But the fight really didn't add anything to the story except to say Rei was rich enough to own all those clones. But owning a floating snuff bordello said that too.

I was going to put some of that in a spoiler tag, but anybody reading this far really should have watched the whole thing by now.

Agreed, I felt the thing with the "rescue" of the kid would have had more plot impact if we hadn't seen the kid in the pod in the previous episode, and realized who exactly Ortega was talking to really at the end. Also Im pretty sure Rei crossed at least ten societal lines when she did that whole creepy thing with Ortega's sleeve.

a_carb2.jpga_carb4.jpga_carb5.jpga_carb6.jpga_carb7.jpga_carb9.jpg

Let the butt hurt BEGIN!

On a serious note, I think he'll do a great job as Toc. I was certainly willing to have my old boy from robo cop take up the mantle again, under some guise of copying the body, etc etc; but I also expected a new actor, and I'm very pleased with who they picked.

Hopefully Joel Kinnaman will reprise his role as Ryker. I think he did a great job as Tekashi but I’m interested to see what AM brings to the table

have they put anything out about where/when the second season might be set? I'd be fine with Ryker being a character, I always just assumed they'd have Toc traipsing all over the galaxy, for multiple life times over the course of the seasons.

I think Kovacs resleeves in each book of the original trilogy so this actually makes sense. Im pretty interested.

Yup, and book two takes place around 30(?) years after book one and he's resleeved at least once in this time. It's mentioned in the book that his current sleeve is that of a black man and is a custom sleeve that's optimized for combat, something not mentioned or toched upon in the TV series.

Yup, and book two takes place around 30(?) years after book one and he's resleeved at least once in this time. It's mentioned in the book that his current sleeve is that of a black man and is a custom sleeve that's optimized for combat, something not mentioned or toched upon in the TV series.

I remembered them bringing up that the whole reason they used Ryker's body for Toc was because it had the chem therapies and combat enhancements that Toc would need.

Anthony Mackie is awesome! This is good news. Here's hoping each season is a novel and that the novels are all self-contained stories. That way, if the show is canceled after Season X, you aren't left with a ton of lingering questions.

Anthony Mackie is awesome! This is good news. Here's hoping each season is a novel and that the novels are all self-contained stories. That way, if the show is canceled after Season X, you aren't left with a ton of lingering questions.

Agreed, the time skip between books one and two does leave it open for self contained stories. I am personally excited for this new season, if it goes in that direction.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back