Zvezda SD Engine Lights Module

Antsnest

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been planning on doing something elaborate for this from day one, but I'm unlikely to actually get my hands on the SD until Revell rebox it in Europe in the spring.

So I have decided to crack on with just a module for the engine lights in the mean time - given the size of the kit, there's not going to be any space issues which helps greatly. The current plan is a high-efficiency system that can be either battery powered (my SOP) but will also have an on-board regulator for those that like to run their systems from > 5V wall supplies.

Animated flicker is provided on all engines, with a start-up sequence and running power-up/down sequences too.

I thought I'd throw it open whilst still in development to see if there's anything specific people might like to see, although the primary concern is low cost rather than all singing all dancing too expensive for anyone.

Feedback welcome

Don't the main engines flare to double brightness as it jumps to hyperspace?- I think that is what we saw when Han Solo was drifting away hidden in the garbage sequence

Don't the main engines flare to double brightness as it jumps to hyperspace?- I think that is what we saw when Han Solo was drifting away hidden in the garbage sequence

Certainly looks like it @ 0:22...

Incidentally you get some good detail glimpses of the back of the neck, including the garbage disposal chute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a flare up would be sweet. And if it's not too major, have it do like a real throttle up might be. Flare up to super bright and the slowly fade back gradually indicating the initial acceleration isn't required.

Bill

I've got the PCB blocked out now, so may just push ahead blind as it sounds like I won't be able to buy a SD locally till the summer.

Current spec is 7 animated engine lights, 8 static window lights, onboard voltage reg. The actual effects are all just a matter of code so does not need to be finalised yet.

For you guys that are already well into the FO lighting - how many LEDs are you using?

Just to clarify - when you mention window lights, are you now talking about producing a complete lighting rig (minus fibers) for the Zvezda, both engines and portholes?

Just to clarify - when you mention window lights, are you now talking about producing a complete lighting rig (minus fibers) for the Zvezda, both engines and portholes?

Yeah I know I originally said engines only but then decided it was pointless *not* to include connection points for the static window LEDs... :)

Yeah I know I originally said engines only but then decided it was pointless *not* to include connection points for the static window LEDs... :)
Cool,I know people keep saying how easy it is, but that would remove at least one headache, and I'm pretty sure I'd be in for a kit. What kind of battery power are you shooting for?

3 AAs is my powerpack of choice. Obviously it's a lot of LEDs but careful design with high efficiency components will keep the load reasonable.

Kingbright sell white SMD LEDs that consume only 2 mA, which is pretty remarkable. Sadly they don't make 3mm LEDs in a low power consumption form - just reds, greens, yellows.

Yeah I have a variety that perform very well.

Just thinking about squeezing another bank of 4 window lights on...

Cool,I know people keep saying how easy it is, but that would remove at least one headache, and I'm pretty sure I'd be in for a kit. What kind of battery power are you shooting for?

I agree! I'm planning to build my Zvezda SD in the coming weeks and want to light it with fiber optics. It will be the first time I've built anything with FO and would love something to simplify the installation yet still offer some advanced lighting effects.

One question, would it be possible to build the module so that both it and the power source (9V battery) be installed inside the model so I can hang it from the ceiling and remotely turn the lights on and off?

There's nothing to stop you putting the power source in the model so long as you've got a way of replacing it when it's flat. I don't know if it will be possible to make some part of the superstructure removable to achieve this, but it has been discussed in other threads.

A 9v battery is generally a poor choice since they have very little capacity - typically 500mAH whereas an AA will be in the order of 2500mAH. Since the circuit is designed to run on 4.5-5v, 3 AAs will give sufficient voltage and have 5 times the capacity of a PP3 for about twice the physical size and much less cost.

There is noting to allow control remotely but this could be provided by a different circuit - I believe Robiwon found something like this.

The remote I'm using simply ties into the circuit between the LEDs and power supply, so it should work on your board. It's infra red so the receiver has to be exposed. It's about the size of a match head.

PCBs back - just done a quick test build

Board
DSC_9591.jpg

Engine looms attached. Will take another 3 looms of 4 LEDs each for the FO lights

DSC_9595.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back