McQuarrie Concept Boba Fett helmet WIP

Ok I've tried to drill holes on the mother mold to prevent airpockets between the mothermold and the silicone. I would say its a half succes. In some areas it works in some it wont. :/
So the last resort solution is that Im going to use some easy-tack spray adhesive to stick the silicone in. Im not worried about ripping the silicone because this glue is really weak it just makes the surface sticky enough so the silicone stays in place until I do the casting then I can remove it without any problems.

Sent from a potato.

Sounds like you've figured it out, but here are my thoughts... My hunch is that it's not so much about air getting trapped in between the silicone and the jacket and more that the silicone is so thin. I think you're on the right track with the spray adhesive, but you may have a hard time getting it out like that. I wonder if coating the inside of the jacket with vaseline would create enough of a seal to hold the silicone against it. If you go the spray adhesive route, just use a little bit. It shouldn't bond permanently to the silicone, but it may still give you a hard time demolding.

You are right the silicone is thin. Im going to give a try with the adhesive and the vaseline too. Im not going to actually cast first I just want to see if it holds it in place.

Sent from a potato.

Okay on week days I cant really work on the helmet itself but I had the chance to make the rangefinder kit in 3D so it can be printed. The dimensions:

Antenna piece:

160mm x 20mm x 5mm

Rangfinder:

45mm x 35mm x 20mm

And the screw looking thin on the back:

35mm x 12 mm

4226385a69f26a6c559498440baf5db8.jpg

Sent from a potato.

Okay its bern a while today I made my 2nd cast and I can say that I was able to fix the biggest problem with the helmet which was the bent ear piece. It's still not even close to perfection but at least I can use this one as a base. Lot of filling sanding but I can make something out of it.

28e20dfdf026ae968488c714b675858a.jpg

Sent from a potato.

Your new lamp shade looks both practical and effective. Any plans on cutting out the lenses for it to beam light towards whichever unfortunate target you deem fit?

Also, the helmet rocks and I love you for taking the design on. Are you going for just the helmet, or are you planning on making the whole armor for this as well?

Your new lamp shade looks both practical and effective. Any plans on cutting out the lenses for it to beam light towards whichever unfortunate target you deem fit?

Also, the helmet rocks and I love you for taking the design on. Are you going for just the helmet, or are you planning on making the whole armor for this as well?

First just the helmet. If I can sell a few of them to make some extra money probably Im going to make the whole armor.

Sent from a potato.

Nice! Can't wait to see how well it turns out, its already looking amazing so far. Now, the original RM art I've seen of Fett has left him all white without any of the bells and whistles I've seen on just about every other design in Star Wars. What're you gonna do with this? Keep it all white, or add a bit of color and flair, maybe a sweet cape?

Either way, best of luck!

Nice! Can't wait to see how well it turns out, its already looking amazing so far. Now, the original RM art I've seen of Fett has left him all white without any of the bells and whistles I've seen on just about every other design in Star Wars. What're you gonna do with this? Keep it all white, or add a bit of color and flair, maybe a sweet cape?

Either way, best of luck!

Im trying to stick to the original as best as possible. But I want to add a cape like on the 2nd picture

51c8921467f6259ca2afdac20f50c662.jpg

8562b72369a46dc07e7a12ebeaa03d9f.jpg

Sent from a potato.

This looking great. I absolutely love the RM books and getting to see how so many of our favorite characters developed over time. I don't have the skill set for a project like this, but do make furniture so I am about to try and make one of the wookie chairs from the concept art made of Kashyyyk.

This looking great. I absolutely love the RM books and getting to see how so many of our favorite characters developed over time. I don't have the skill set for a project like this, but do make furniture so I am about to try and make one of the wookie chairs from the concept art made of Kashyyyk.

Thanks!
The chair idea sounds interesting tag me or something if you post it somewhere :D

Sent from a potato.

Thanks!
The chair idea sounds interesting tag me or something if you post it somewhere :D

Sent from a potato.

I plan on doing a WIP for it, I thought it might be something completely different from what is normally done on the site. I'm having trouble finding a source for wroshyr wood here on earth, I guess I will have to settle for non-mythical and terrestrial species.

Today the printing of my 3D parts have started finally! The rangefinder is complete! Respirators are on their way! I'll have them probably next week until then here's a picture of the finished parts:

9ab8cca70da337feab5ddfe1372972b5.jpg

Sent from a potato.

Done! :D (I want to give credit for RafalFett from the dented helmet forum for letting me use his respirator models to make my own version of them!)

114601a1c3756a2ab0c9b3e5381811c8.jpg

Sent from a potato.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back