Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Chicago, Il
    Feb 5, 2017, 10:40 AM - Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #1

Growing up in Chicago, I thought movies were filmed in NYC, LA, outer space, far off places or the ocean. A film in Chicago was cool. A film that really caught the spirit of Chicago was mindboggling as a teenager in 1980.
    I just found a great article about how the movie was developed and how it was almost never finished... the movie producers dad was a mob lawyer and Hollywood fixer in Chicago that said, "Let's just say we were welcomed by the mayor"

Destroying an entire shopping mall? Wrecking 70+ police cars? A full scale invasion of Chicago? Both main characters never take off their sunglasses? Well, once Putting a R&B band together made up of the best musicians in the industry..Side note, Paul Shaffer made it happen and then got frustrated and quit.

This is a great read. It discusses how movie stars took control from movie studios. Everyone was on coke. Interesting racial element in the article but let's leave it out of this discussion.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...et-for-cocaine

It went way over budget but made $100 million which was a lot at the time I would love to hear other opinions about this Chicago trainwreck/masterpiece.
    Feb 5, 2017, 11:02 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #2

Side note, a lot if the car chase and crashes was filmed in Milwaukee.
    Feb 5, 2017, 1:04 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #3

I actually just watched this movie for the first time the other night, and I was in stitches throughout the whole thing, and the music always had me grooving to it. great stuff all around!
  4. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Feb 5, 2017, 1:08 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #4

Instant cult classic at the time it was released, especially if you were a certain kind of person.

I have heard all the storys, filming was a non-stop party and Landis probably aged 10 years during the shoot
    From
    I live on earth.
    Feb 5, 2017, 2:22 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #5

Never have seen the original. I did see BB2000 and it was pretty bad.
  6. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Feb 5, 2017, 2:39 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #6

JediMichael said: View Post
    Never have seen the original. I did see BB2000 and it was pretty bad.
    Sir, you have my guarantee that you would like the original better than BB2000
    Feb 5, 2017, 3:44 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #7

Agreed with Sundowner.
  8. Lord of the Couch RPF Premium Member dbuck's Avatar
    From
    california
    Feb 5, 2017, 3:48 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #8

Always loved BB. Even my mother considers it her go-to rainy day movie.
    From
    I live on earth.
    Feb 5, 2017, 4:01 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #9

You know, its funny, because my friends wanted to see BB2000, so I went with them knowing that the original had the major cop car smashing scene and stuff like that...so I thought it was this big cops vs bad guys action type movie and how the new one would be so great.
    Through the movie I was like, whats with all the singing???
  10. RPF Premium Member jcoffman99's Avatar
    From
    Maryland
    Feb 5, 2017, 7:12 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #10

Great flick. Quote it all the time.
  11. Zardu Hasselfrau! RPF Premium Member JOATRASH FX's Avatar
    From
    Exploring other worlds...
    Feb 5, 2017, 9:59 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #11

They really knew how to do comedy back then.
  12. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Feb 5, 2017, 11:43 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #12

As someone who has never lived in Chicago, I can say with extreme confidence that The Blues Brothers is one of my favorite films of all time. I'm not even kidding. If there's a personal top film list, it's in there.

State County Municipal Offender Data System.
    Feb 5, 2017, 11:44 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #13

OK, then you should enjoy this homage....

From
    Santa Rosa, CA.
    Feb 6, 2017, 12:06 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #14

Never been to Chicago but this movie is one of the greatest from the 80's.
    From
    Hillsboro Oregon
    Feb 6, 2017, 12:32 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #15

Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut.
    01Jabba-the-Hutt-Eating-Healthy-On-Thanksgiving.png 01Jabba-the-Hutt-Eating-Healthy-On-Thanksgiving.png 01Jabba-the-Hutt-Eating-Healthy-On-Thanksgiving.png
    From
    Eregion
    Feb 6, 2017, 1:46 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #16

Love it. Elwood is probably my favorite of Dan Aykroyd's roles.

Also, I had no idea Blues Brothers 2000 existed. Curious about it and might watch it later.
    From
    yuma AZ
    Feb 6, 2017, 4:35 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #17

We're on a mission from Ghaad !

Best quote ever !
  18. Member Since
    Apr 2001
    Feb 6, 2017, 6:35 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #18

J EM said: View Post
    Also, I had no idea Blues Brothers 2000 existed. Curious about it and might watch it later.
    Don't.

M
    Feb 6, 2017, 7:21 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #19

J EM said: View Post
    Love it. Elwood is probably my favorite of Dan Aykroyd's roles.

RUN AWAY!
    Feb 6, 2017, 8:26 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #20

annanake said: View Post
    We're on a mission from Ghaad !

Best quote ever !
    False. Best quote from the movie is as follows:
    "It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Hit it."
    Feb 6, 2017, 8:32 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #21

It's one of the greatest movies ever made.
  22. CSM-117 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    Feb 6, 2017, 9:03 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #22

Are you the police?
    No ma'am, we're musicians

I hate Illinois Nazis.

Hutt, hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt...

A great film with many great moments you definitely don't need to be from the windy city in order to appreciate it, not even from the U.S.

RIP John Belushi
    RIP John Candy
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Feb 6, 2017, 9:12 AM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #23

Jeyl said: View Post
    As someone who has never lived in Chicago, I can say with extreme confidence that The Blues Brothers is one of my favorite films of all time. I'm not even kidding. If there's a personal top film list, it's in there.

State County Municipal Offender Data System.
    What Jeyl said.
  24. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    London, England
    Feb 6, 2017, 2:48 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #24

The Terminator said: View Post
    Are you the police?
    No ma'am, we're musicians

I hate Illinois Nazis.

Hutt, hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt,hutt...

A great film with many great moments you definitely don't need to be from the windy city in order to appreciate it, not even from the U.S.

RIP John Belushi
    RIP John Candy
    R.I.P Carrie Fisher,she was going out with Dan at about this time i think...As someone who saw it on Laserdisc at a young age ,i gotta say it's one of my fave movies ever,my son loves it (cos he watched it young too) .I have all the Blues brothers records/mp3's...And i'm not even American...lol
    Feb 6, 2017, 2:56 PM - Re: Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it? #25

Solo4114 said: View Post
    False. Best quote from the movie is as follows:
    I have subway poster with that on it (65x45 or so)