Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it?

joeranger

Sr Member
Growing up in Chicago, I thought movies were filmed in NYC, LA, outer space, far off places or the ocean. A film in Chicago was cool. A film that really caught the spirit of Chicago was mindboggling as a teenager in 1980.
I just found a great article about how the movie was developed and how it was almost never finished... the movie producers dad was a mob lawyer and Hollywood fixer in Chicago that said, "Let's just say we were welcomed by the mayor"

Destroying an entire shopping mall? Wrecking 70+ police cars? A full scale invasion of Chicago? Both main characters never take off their sunglasses? Well, once:) Putting a R&B band together made up of the best musicians in the industry..Side note, Paul Shaffer made it happen and then got frustrated and quit.

This is a great read. It discusses how movie stars took control from movie studios. Everyone was on coke. Interesting racial element in the article but let's leave it out of this discussion.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/01/making-of-blues-brothers-budget-for-cocaine

It went way over budget but made $100 million which was a lot at the time;) I would love to hear other opinions about this Chicago trainwreck/masterpiece.

I actually just watched this movie for the first time the other night, and I was in stitches throughout the whole thing, and the music always had me grooving to it. great stuff all around!

Instant cult classic at the time it was released, especially if you were a certain kind of person.

I have heard all the storys, filming was a non-stop party and Landis probably aged 10 years during the shoot

You know, its funny, because my friends wanted to see BB2000, so I went with them knowing that the original had the major cop car smashing scene and stuff like that...so I thought it was this big cops vs bad guys action type movie and how the new one would be so great.
Through the movie I was like, whats with all the singing???

As someone who has never lived in Chicago, I can say with extreme confidence that The Blues Brothers is one of my favorite films of all time. I'm not even kidding. If there's a personal top film list, it's in there.

State County Municipal Offender Data System.

Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut.
01Jabba-the-Hutt-Eating-Healthy-On-Thanksgiving.png 01Jabba-the-Hutt-Eating-Healthy-On-Thanksgiving.png 01Jabba-the-Hutt-Eating-Healthy-On-Thanksgiving.png

Love it. Elwood is probably my favorite of Dan Aykroyd's roles.

Also, I had no idea Blues Brothers 2000 existed. Curious about it and might watch it later.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back