Blues Brothers - How do non-Chicago people rate it?

Blues Brothers is a must watch movie.
It bugs the hell out of my wife because I have the movie, the sound track, VHS recording of the live show at Universal...
but if it is being broadcast everything has to stop so I can enjoy the movie and my plain white toast.

Blues Brothers is a must watch movie.
It bugs the hell out of my wife because I have the movie, the sound track, VHS recording of the live show at Universal...
but if it is being broadcast everything has to stop so I can enjoy the movie and my plain white toast.

I am a four fried chickens and a Coke guy.

You know, its funny, because my friends wanted to see BB2000, so I went with them knowing that the original had the major cop car smashing scene and stuff like that...so I thought it was this big cops vs bad guys action type movie and how the new one would be so great.
Through the movie I was like, whats with all the singing???

Just a heads up, the first one also has lots of singing. But it's fine. The tunes are great.

It's one of the greatest comedies of all time. You'll finally see where a lot of "references" in other movies or tv shows come from.

I quote this movie more than any other, every time I go through a yellow light "The light was yellow...officer". That scene was filmed in the town I grew up in, a few years ago I went through the exact same light...it turned yellow. :cool:thumbsup

The original BB is extremely quotable, to the point where a lot of pop culture references will start making sense after you finally see it. It is filled with cameos from famous blues musicians and memorable actors/people in general from the time period. And it will make you want a raggedy used police car the way 'Fast & Furious' makes you want Vin Diesel's old Charger.

It's the ultimate movie out of an SNL skit. None of the other SNL movies holds a candle to it for sheer vision & uncompromising excess.

Worst criticism? It's too long. In modern movie terms the original BB would be a "directors cut". The studio would tighten it up by 10-15 minutes for the theatrical release. The director would complain about the cuts, and a few worthwhile things would be lost, but most viewers would find the shorter cut more watchable.

The sequel . . . I know it's tempting, but don't bother. It's one of those Star Wars prequel "I can't believe this is coming from the same person" kind of situations.

The sequel might not seem so bad if it was just its own film. Then you might say "Um, that was okay I guess. Quirky. I don't ever need to see it again but I will remember it." But as the heir to the original BB, it's a disappointment.

Last edited:
Back in the nineteen greaties there was a local theatre called the Valhalla here in Australia that had a screening every Friday night and continued to do so for well over ten years. People would rock up in costume and play out all the scenes and a select few of us would get up on the stage and play out all the music numbers in front of the screen.

I ended up getting a dirty old cheap ass Fairlane and gave it a Blues mobile makeover. It smoked up a treat, dumped all the water from the radiator as soon as you cut the engine and the inside made more than one person who travelled in it sick from petrol fumes but was the best car I ever owned. Never got one hassle from the cops either.

bb1.jpg bb2.jpg

WITNESS.

I would have one of those but all you bloody Americans have taken them all and pushed the prices up.:lol

That old theatre was turned into a multi storied car park as well.:(

Cant help it if we love Gibson. And V8's

And we must be the only country that doesnt say "bloody" :lol... well.. not down here we dont... unless we accidentally get shot during a hunting season.

The its "bloody hell, what just happened"

Sounds like I'm kidding, but this movie did actually teach me at a formative age a number of really important lessons, including but not limited to;

Don't stick it in crazy.
Music is a world of wonder, explore it.
Pay attention when old dudes are speaking.
Moral and legal aren't synonyms.
Nazis are dicks.
Beware of bar tabs.

I owe this movie a great deal, it will always be in my heart.

There are a bunch of reasons why I should love The Blues Brothers film, but I don't. Here are just a few of those reasons:

* I love Belushi
* I love Ackroyd
* The movie has a ton of great quotes

And yet, the movie never really grabbed me. I never liked when Jake and Elwood played on SNL--it seemed terribly self-indulgent. And I didn't like when they played in the movie. Just not my style of music. They bored me when they were playing.

Now, obviously, they're not playing in the large majority of the movie, and so yes, I did enjoy some parts of that . But overall, I could never really get into it, no matter how much I tried. And believe me, I tried. My Dad loved it! And a lot of my friends loved it. So I saw it many times.

Didn't matter. It was such a thin premise for a movie, and I never looked forward to watching it. In contrast to contemporary films like Animal House, Caddyshack, Stripes, Vacation, Airplane, and Fletch--now THOSE were films I adored, and still do to this day.

The Wook

There are a bunch of reasons why I should love The Blues Brothers film, but I don't. Here are just a few of those reasons:

* I love Belushi
* I love Ackroyd
* The movie has a ton of great quotes

And yet, the movie never really grabbed me. I never liked when Jake and Elwood played on SNL--it seemed terribly self-indulgent. And I didn't like when they played in the movie. Just not my style of music. They bored me when they were playing.

Now, obviously, they're not playing in the large majority of the movie, and so yes, I did enjoy some parts of that . But overall, I could never really get into it, no matter how much I tried. And believe me, I tried. My Dad loved it! And a lot of my friends loved it. So I saw it many times.

Didn't matter. It was such a thin premise for a movie, and I never looked forward to watching it. In contrast to contemporary films like Animal House, Caddyshack, Stripes, Vacation, Airplane, and Fletch--now THOSE were films I adored, and still do to this day.

The Wook
Maybe you have a low BB IQ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back