NCR ranger costume wip

Valkrine10

Sooo... First actual post on here about my costume so... Let's get started.

I started this out with minimal experience so.. Bear with me please

My first try was making the helmet from a pep, but layer switched to foam for practicality
_20170204_211103.JPG

_20170204_211130.JPG

After this I decided to switch it up a bit and started on my armor (all of this is made from an old yoga mat from a friend since Eva is not easy to get around here, and this is really a ***** to work with) this looks pretty crude because of that, but I'm hoping to get rid of it all with a bit of added rust for that.

_20170204_211201.JPG

This is it after cutting it out and going to town on it with a soldering iron

_20170204_211221.JPG

After strapping it together and 'smoothing the edges' (didn't turn out as smooth as I wanted)

_20170204_211238.JPG

Wearing it after painting it, not with the stencils on it yet, but I added those afterwards.

Next up was the arm and hand pieces.

_20170204_211349.JPG

Same thing as with the chest armor, just smaller and less... Chestier.

_20170204_211428.JPG

Hands too

_20170204_211503.JPG

Started working on my weapons too because... Whats a ranger with no weapons?

_20170204_211302.JPG

Pretty happy with the revolver, since it's my first time weathering anything and it started out as a fluorescent yellow squirt gun..

_20170204_211331.JPG

Start of an anti material rifle from an old nerf gun.. I'll see where it goes.. Not the trash hopefully.

After this I've been looking for a good duster but... Unsuccessful so far, so I've been using a leather jacket to hold it together, might actually end up using it if I can't find a substitute

_20170204_211532.JPG

As you can see... Still blue lenses.. I don't have red so.. Anyone know a good way to get a cheap set of lenses or something I can use to make them out of? Would be appreciated.

That's it for now... Hope to have some more stuff to show soon, criticism is always appreciated!

Last edited:
Re: NCR ranger costume... I'm probably not the first. Pic heavy.

So, small update, the bigger stuff is coming soon, but I finished adding lights to the inside of the helmet, and I got an old military helmet to fit the mask
IMG_20170305_125255.jpg

I've run into a bit of a problem with the helmet, because it's not mine I can't really paint on it or attach anything else to it... Any suggestions?

Re: NCR ranger costume... I'm probably not the first. Pic heavy.

I'd say spend the $20 to get an old M1 from a surplus store. They generally range from $5 to $35, but it's worth having the ability to do as you please with it.

Re: NCR ranger costume Pic heavy.

First costume? I'd say you did pretty good all round. The revolver and armor are great.
Keep checking the second hand stores for a trench coat you can buy for cheap, then just spray paint it or something.
Give us an update on the rifle.

decided to give the rifle its own thread, since it was more of a prop than a costume, so if you wanna see, its on my acc. thanks a lot for the compliment, i do feel like im putting a part of my soul into this. and im still going around looking for a coat yeah, feels like im never gonna find it tho ;S

so an update on the helmet... its more functional parts are basically done.

as a bit of backstory who havent had the pleasure of wearing a mask like this... its pretty sh*tty. it gets hot, and i get problems breathing quickly so i decided to do something against it. i looked for a way to incorporate an old cpu fan i had laying around into the mask:
DSC03051.JPG

i thought the respirator/filter thing on the side of the mask would be a good fit so.. i put it in there and it works!
DSC03047.JPG

on second thought i shouldve put the switch inside the filter but i figured that out a bit too late so its on the side now.
the second part was making the lighting a bit better because it was really getting in my eyes so i moved it to the inside of the lenses a bit more, so i can later shield my eyes a bit.
DSC03049.JPG

i finished the right side too, nothing functional about that, just used an old wire i had laying around an a piece of tube.

DSC03045.JPG

all thats left now is to look for some red plastic for the lenses (still havent found anything, gonna try again tomorrow) and a big weathering job to make it look a bit beat up.
anyone know a good way to get red for the lenses?

Some more shots:

DSC03050.JPG

i also added some of the markings you can see on the mask
DSC03043.JPG

Thats all for now!

It's been a while but a bit of progress is upon us.
DSC_0273.JPG
DSC_0274.JPG
DSC_0275.JPG
Added some scratching and better lenses to the helmet.
Not a lot but adds some character if you ask me. I'll definitely be doing some more weathering on it
That's all for now, thanks!

As of right now ive typed this post three times. its gonna work this time, i guarantee.

Its been a few months, but im still on track and not dead yet.
Im still going for it.
View attachment IMG_0340.JPG

As of right now this is what i have. theres been a few upgrades to what i already had.

View attachment IMG_0378.JPG

View attachment IMG_0379.JPG

View attachment IMG_0376.JPG

Ive replaced the bad lenses with some ski goggle lenses, which means i can finally see when wearing this.
I also made the helmet, due to having no ther options. it got a bit beat up in the process, but i think i was able to mask it enough to get away with it and make it loo like it was done on purpose.
All electronics in the helmet are now in place and functioning. (eyes, flashlight and laser, and ventilation).
as for the other things on there i just wanted to make it my own. (yes thats an ace of spades. shut up mom i can do what i want)
The mask itself still needs weathering, to make it look better,
But weathering is scary and i honestly have no clue what im doing.

View attachment IMG_0382.JPG

I also added an ammo belt to the chestpiece to make it a bit more bulky cuz im just a scrawny kid.

Im still looking for a duster, but in the meanwhile im using my own leather coat, and sprayed an ncr logo on it. i dont mind using it is a placeholder for a real duster, as im gonna wear that coat when out of cosplay too because the bear just makes it way cooler. (shut up mom its not a phase i wanna protect the mojave when we all get nuked, its my calling)

Thats about all for now, thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back