ANOVOS just canceled my order!

Using profits to fund product development? You're right, that's completely unheard of.

Except that it's not the profits they're using. It's money provided for product, which remains undelivered.

Beyond that, after a year if they offer a refund, it shouldn't be just the amount paid, but the amount with interest. If you'd kept the money, you could have drawn interest on it. And considering you could have bought something else with that money, that you actually would have received, the least they could do is compensate you for the lost interest.

I’ve dealt with another company, recently, with very similar issues. It is not a scam or Ponzi scheme. What many companies (maybe including Anovos?) are doing these days seems to be more like running their own, in house, Kickstarter campaign (but not Kickstarter) to fund their products. They take orders to fund development and production which, it seems, does not even begin until a certain level of funding is achieved. Then, you have to wait for production and fulfillment. The problem I have with this is that sometimes they are not up front in telling you this is what they are doing. If you had to go to Kickstarter to order, with full knowledge how they were operating, many wouldn’t place orders. Many companies, including Anovos, are also producing (subcontracting, I think) products in China using which also introduces production problems and, frequently, delays.

Beyond that, after a year if they offer a refund, it shouldn't be just the amount paid, but the amount with interest. If you'd kept the money, you could have drawn interest on it. And considering you could have bought something else with that money, that you actually would have received, the least they could do is compensate you for the lost interest.

:lol:lol:lol:facepalm

Definitely, 100% agree that it’s bad business. For what it’s worth I can also say that I have ordered directly from Anovos in the past, with some success and some issues, but going forward I will ONLY be ordering Anovos products from third parties like Entertainment Earth.

Anovos has put out some good items, but I really don't understand how they run the business day to day. By now production and or generating refunds should be a well oiled machine; instead it feels more like some guy in his garage.

Even when items are released it doesn't make a whole lot of sense; one example is the Rey Helmet. I picked one up back in December, yet most stores still have it listed as "pre-order". They release items sporadically instead of what all companies do, release an item to all vendors when production is finished. It's as if they only have money to do a couple and then think "yeah, that'll work we'll release the rest sometime".

The delays are frustrating as well and my guess is they haven't generated enough pre-order money on X to fund Y yet. People are catching on to this and it's only a matter of time before the house of cards falls.

Using one customer's (or investor's) money to fund a future item (or investment) without delivering anything to the original person is, by definition, a Ponzy scheme. No matter how different the mechanics of the rip-off are, it is still illegal. Of course, proving it is the fly in the ointment. You would have to prove that Anovos is using pre-order buyers money to produce future product to have a case. I think a lot of manufacturers are doing this now. The Kickstarter analogy that Weldon proposed is a good one, in this case.

Some Anovos products are produced in batches. A preorder for a product that has already been released is for a new batch.

Companies like Anovos and efx are pretty small. They don't operate the same as huge corporations.

I don't think there is any reason to think Anovos will be going away any time soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some Anovos products are produced in batches. A preorder for a product that has already been released is for a new batch.

Companies like Anovos and efx are pretty small. They don't operate the same as huge corporations.

I don't think there is any reason to think Anovos will be going away any time soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
This sounds a bit like a cop-out. Batches are released over weeks; not months or years. Plus other small toy companies have done just fine releasing product to vendors. Bottom line is Anovos won't ever get their act together unless a real competitor (not EFX) comes along.

Using one customer's (or investor's) money to fund a future item (or investment) without delivering anything to the original person is, by definition, a Ponzy scheme. No matter how different the mechanics of the rip-off are, it is still illegal. Of course, proving it is the fly in the ointment. You would have to prove that Anovos is using pre-order buyers money to produce future product to have a case. I think a lot of manufacturers are doing this now. The Kickstarter analogy that Weldon proposed is a good one, in this case.

Sorry, but wrong. A simple google search had this to say: "A form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors."

Last edited by a moderator:
Altough their pre-ordering system is all ****ed up as we all can agree to that, they are not scammers or looking to take our money. In stock items DO ship. I ordered my second in-stock item and it shipped out today.

Im not sure what their pre-ordering system looks like but its a joke they have not fixed it yet. I got stuck right in the middle of it with my order for a TK kit.

As a new member to the RPF, I feel I must chime in here. How Anovos is still in business baffles me! If you go to their website and go to Star Wars, they currently have 97 Star Wars items on their site. Of those 97 items, only 14 items are currently in stock and two of those are keychainns!! I agree with Vader45, only buy items that are in stock (which of course right now there isn't much to choose from). I purchased a pair of Vader gloves last year (which they no longer carry BTW) and I got them in a week. I also bought an Anovos Vader helmet on Ebay for $130 less than Anovos was asking and I received it in 5 days!! EFX is even worse!! They are out of stock on EVERYTHING on their website!! I would never pre-order from any company that wanted full payment up front!! Waiting 2-3 years for merchandise that people are shelling out good money for is not only a joke, but it's a horrible business practice!! I think we should all boycott Anovos and force them out of business because customer service is the focal point of any business and they have proven over the past 5 or 6 years now that they simply do not care about their customers, only making a profit!!! Why do you think GotMaul has gone silent the past 2 years?!

If that's true and I believe it is, then shame on Disney!! Because they own the license, they have an obligation to ensure that Anovos is fulfilling their orders in a timely fashion. Failure to do so and keeping Joe silent is further evidence that both Anovos and Disney don't care about their customers!! And that's really a shame!!!!

In addition, how about this - a boycott of Anovos PRE-ORDERS from this point forward? And the boycott will last until their delivery estimates are never bumped. Ever. Regardless of anything.....uhhhh......kind of like every other large, respectable company.

I pre ordered the Green Leader X-wing helmet when it first popped up. I knew it would be a long wait so I didn't think much of it. Recently, I decided to drop the Green Leader kit I was going to build and I started a Blue Squadron kit. When I asked to cancel my order, I mentioned that I was going to build the Blue Squadron and Anovos said they would switch my order to the Gen Merrick helmet if I wanted that one instead. I jumped on the chance and switch it. Recently they posted that the Gen Merrick helmet will be delayed until the end of the year. (in Anovos time that means until next year) I quickly asked for a refund. I've had prior orders run into "delays" and it was a **** show. They said they would issue a refund right away and its been over a month. I keep writing them and I get the same answer. We are investigating the delay in your refund. WTF!!!!!???? I like the Anovos products but I don't like how they operate with stock. If I was doing Battlestar cosplay I'd be set!

Yeah, overall I'm pretty disgusted with the way Anovos does business, or rather DOESN'T do business. I ordered a Luke Skywalker helmet at Comic Con (July 2018) and it was due to ship in the 4th quarter of that year, I've received a string of emails saying basically that it was delayed but don't worry, it'll ship soon, which have all been BS! The latest update is that it will ship in the fourth Quarter of this year, a year late! The biggest insult is that they highlight this as an "improvement" for people that ordered in the second wave as it moves up their delivery. Five bucks say they miss this delivery estimate as well. Anovos has lost me as a customer for any pre-orders. They've shown that they have no respect for their customer base.

dude just count your blessings you where refunded. When the company goes belly up and files chapter 11. all the others here will wish they called the CS a turkey and received a refund. you will be laughing then.

Go search BBB and it will show: THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED (Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation )
Also there is an Alert and Pattern of complain on the BBB site about them.

They are just taking your preorders, to see how many interested on the item even before they consider to even make the mold. What you are doing is just giving them the preorder money to do other things, like getting interest from the bank, ordering material to build their current run stuff and to build for the mouse's park.

If they go chapter 13, all they will do is to change their name and take the money. The mouse will back them up in the end.

Just order a kit and build your own.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back