Antique Steampunk Pipe Wrench

Faroth

I found this actual, antique, rusted, pipe wrench at a local thrift store.
PW_01.jpg
I like the look of it a lot but the thing weighs 5 lbs. For a 12" long tool, that is pretty heavy. I have a Steampunk Pirate costume I was hoping to use this and hang it from a belt but it would just be too cumbersome. So I decided to make a 3D print replica.

PW_02.jpgPW_03.jpg
I used Google Sketchup to make the model. I measured off of the original. I changed up a few things to make it simpler to print. I wanted this to fit on one 5" x 9" build plate so the handle for mine is a little bit shorter. I also used a real 1/2" by 1 1/2" bolt. I could have made a model for it but that's complicated and bolts are a like 40 cents apiece so it seemed like the easier thing to do.

PW_04.jpgPW_05.jpgPW_06.jpg
I assembled the pieces, sanded it down a bit, then used a dremel sanding bit to rough it up and add some dings, and nicks and stuff to make it feel older and worn.
This is not a functional model. All the pieces are glued into place. It wouldn't be a big deal to add a nut into the mix and have it actually operate though. I just felt like it was an unnecessary detail for a visual prop. I primed it and spray painted it silver, then weathered it with burnt umber, and black and browns and dark Orange colors. Dabbing with a sponge and wiping parts away to reveal the silver underneath.

PW_07.jpgPW_08.jpgPW_09.jpg

The final result turned out just how I wanted. From a bit away hanging on a costume, it looks like a rusty old pipe wrench.

Design is on Thingiverse if anyone is interested.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2076051

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back