Imperial Probe Droid - full size

cckaiser2

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've searched all over but cannot find anyone who's replicated a full size imperial probe droid. I'm thinking of attempting it. I've seen a reference to size at roughly 7' tall. I'd love any additional dimensions. Also, any suggestions for starting point on main shapes and potential materials(foam, aluminum...?)

318c3a57efcfd9461e99a37e860dbadf.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no knowledge of how they made or what they made the prob droid from. But this is one of my favorite droids so memorable. I hope it goes well! I would probably start by getting hold of a smaller one, I think there might be models around. Some one will chime in and have some answers.

Wow, this is gonna be a fun journey.
Personally, I'd probably go the mdf route to start the body and "head".
I know some hate working with it, but you'll get the strength out of it you'll need and still be able to work the shapes.
That photo is a pretty nice reference.
If you look at the two cylinders on the right of the larger one, they appear to be on the left side of the smaller one, showing you almost the whole body.
Good luck.
Will definitely be checking back in to this.
Robert

I'm thinking of scrapping an old Weber charcoal grill for the top piece, then combo of foam/aluminum. I need to figure out how it will be displayed. I'd love to have it attached to an arm coming out of a wall so it appears to float. That way I could also mount it to a wheeled dolly if someone wanted to display it at a convention. There's a 26" Weber grill - which would put the largest part of the droid roughly 32" across. I'm open to every possible suggestion. I can't believe these haven't been replicated here before.

First of all...great idea, would be watching a project like this with great interest.

Anyway, answering your question(s) is a bit difficult...
- What is your skillset? Do you have any experience with metal and/ or woodworking, molding/ casting, electronics etc....do you intend to expand your skills?
- What tools do you have on hand?
- Do you plan to (scratch-)build everything with the addition of using found parts or do you eventually want to incorporate 3D printed parts as well?
- Do you have a timeframe?
- What is your budget?

EDIT***
Just read that you started to think about what real world items to incorporate into the build, good start!

My advice:
Answer yourself these questions and get an idea about what is actually involved in a project of this size/ complexity.
Search the internet for all available pictures of the probe droid and possible information about the way the original prop has been built.
Do some drawings/ scaling/ figure out the design and -again- match the results with the tools, materials etc. you have access to.
Then return and ask more specific questions about how to proceed.

Good luck !:thumbsup

First of all...great idea, would be watching a project like this with great interest.

Anyway, answering your question(s) is a bit difficult...
- What is your skillset? Do you have any experience with metal and/ or woodworking, molding/ casting, electronics etc....do you intend to expand your skills?
- What tools do you have on hand?
- Do you plan to (scratch-)build everything with the addition of using found parts or do you eventually want to incorporate 3D printed parts as well?
- Do you have a timeframe?
- What is your budget?

EDIT***
Just read that you started to think about what real world items to incorporate into the build, good start!

My advice:
Answer yourself these questions and get an idea about what is actually involved in a project of this size/ complexity.
Search the internet for all available pictures of the probe droid and possible information about the way the original prop has been built.
Do some drawings/ scaling/ figure out the design and -again- match the results with the tools, materials etc. you have access to.
Then return and ask more specific questions about how to proceed.

Good luck !:thumbsup

Thanks for the support! I'm fairly skilled - currently working on an Astromech R2, completed a proton pack last year. Like most "makers" I have a good mix of talents with various materials. Only limitations now are lack of some equipment that could be helpful(CNC, 3D printer). That being said:

I'd like to incorporate lightweight materials into this build - which is why I'm thinking foam and aluminum would be best. I'd like to build in a lazy Susan bearing so the droid head is movable and likely a Bluetooth speaker set-up for the probe sounds. I can probably get assistance from the R2 group on this. Most of the free lies and legs will have to be kitbashed from parts. Reference info is difficult - any offers out there to sell me a smaller scale model I can use?[emoji3]

I'll definitely draw up a sketch and upload it and see if you all have suggestions. Thanks again to you all! Having the support on the RPF helps me to move toward production of this!

This will be epic. :thumbsup
As a model you can get the Sideshow 1/6 figure to inspire from. Attakus also made a 1/5 version but quite inaccurate.

This will be epic. :thumbsup
As a model you can get the Sideshow 1/6 figure to inspire from. Attakus also made a 1/5 version but quite inaccurate.

Double that...get the sideshow 1/6 marquette OR the Hot Toys 1/6 probe droid. They´re awesome!!!

Anyone out there have the sideshow 1/6 and able to provide high res reference photos?

i own the articulated version then :lol
but I remember another licensed scaled replica...attacus maybe? :confused

Any chance you can provide some dimensions from your scaled version? Specifically:
Total height
Diameter of head
Height of head
Diameter of body
Height of body
Width of the head orbs
I'm certain I won't be able to duplicate exact replica but these measurements will help.
Thanks in advance.

I can provide the needed measurements, if you are patient and willing to wait a bit.

anyway...even with the measurements and some reference pictures, it would still be better to have the actual model at hand to check scaling, details, proportions etc. ... IMHO

Totally agreed - just not sure I can spend the $$. If I think I can produce a quality replica, then I'll definitely invest. Too many projects eating up my budget!![emoji16]

Respectfully, unless this is a "take a first pass" build or you get a band together on the project, this is going to be a pricey build. If your not committed to getting accurate reference, I would put this on the back burner.

The probe droid is huge. Unless you make everything out of wood, the cost of materials would be high.

What makes this hobby so challenging is unless you build a replica that is 90 to 95% accurate you end up with a door stop that looks like what it is suppose to be, but not what it is. Haha

Now with my unsolicited opinion expressed, I wish you luck. Go for it!

I agree 100%. This isn't going to be a cheap build - but I've always done well from reference photos. I'd rather spend the $300 or so on investing in initial materials. The Forum has so many resources for images that I'd rather rely on those initially. If I can get major forms correct and get a good sense of scale and proportion then I'd likely invest in the scaled version. It will definitely help with details.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back