molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

I don't have the chrome yet, it's supposed to arrive Monday. But as a side note, alcohol inks mixed with Alclad Klear Kote is a great shiny candy coating.

Ok, update time. I got a refill tube and used my airbrush on some spoons.

20170703_184131.jpg
These seven have been painted, and nothing else done to them. I'll use them to test curing time and what happens with the clear paint as they cure more.

20170703_184534.jpg
These two got painted 1 1/2 times. I tried it the first time, and didn't apply it thick enough, so after 30 minutes I applied over what I had already done with a thicker coat. Covered it up great.

20170703_184515.jpg
This is an attempt to mix ink with the chrome. It doesn't mix, it sprays out both, and then the chrome goes on top of the ink, leaving a halo around it. Tried it with yellow and blue.

20170703_184502.jpg
Here I've gone the Klear Kote made by Alclad, mixed with turquoise, sprayed over the chrome after letting it dry for about an hour.

20170703_184427.jpg
Same process, but with gold ink mixed in. It's still quite shiny, you can see quite a few details in the reflection, but it's hazier.

20170703_184325.jpg
1. Spoon with clear/yellow. 2. Chrome, then yellow ink. 3. Chrome, then clear/yellow. 4. Chrome, then clear/turqoise. 5. Same as 4, but a thicker application. 6. Clear/turquoise right on the spoon.

20170703_184259.jpg
A close up with chrome, then the clear after about an hour (which is too soon, but I tried it anyway).

20170703_184235.jpg
Just chrome.

20170703_184206.jpg
Here you can see in all the spoons how much of the reflection is visible.

20170703_184547.jpg
Here's what happens if you touch the paint after an hour. That fingerprint is permanent.

Alcohol destroys the surface, as does acetone (no surprise there). I tried thinning it with alcohol (70% isoprophyl) and it didn't really mix with it, just made it spray on hazy silver instead of chrome.

Anything specific you'd like me to try?

Yes, being an airbrush noob, I need to know the type or brand of inks that you mixed and what ration of ink to Klear Kote.

I like the Gold. Very nice.

One more shot here.

View attachment 740979
On the left is with clear/sunshine yellow mix, and on the right is a clear/sunset orange/terra cotta/ginger mix. Makes a nice copper.

looks really good, is there 2 different yellow inks? as you've mentioned "honeycomb" and "sunshine" yellow? which gave the better gold chrome effect? I'm thinking c3po repainting might be in order.... :)

Did you try blow drying and then clear? Would love to see how this holds up with some handling.
I haven't, I will try. The ones I've clear coated handle very well. They don't take finger prints, and they can wipe off without damaging the chrome.

is it possible to get a chrome and chrome clear coat together?

I have a shot of clear over chrome in the post with a lot of pics. Unless you mean mixing them, but they don't mix.

Yes I was meaning on same shot, even the best, trying on same spoon, half-half, I will try to buy one chrome pen, and make painting on kylo bucket.

I just went back and read, you somehow opened the Molotow pen and got the ink out for your airbrush ?

Im thinking of doing my Daft Punk helmets with these colors. Do you think this would work a a large scale ?@Zlurpo

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it should, but it will take some practice and a good airbrush. I also think you'll want to plan to paint a whole helmet in one go if you can, it seems to help get a uniform finish. I'd guess one refill pack could do a whole helmet, but I haven't tried it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back