molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

Hard to say for certain as I've only just bought it for the sake of testing it against the Liquid Chrome. I don't have a great deal of experience with silver spray paint, so you'll need to elaborate on what you mean by durable. As in, does it chip easily or rub off easily? Or something else? I could paint something and manhandle it and see how it goes, but obviously I wouldn't be able to say for sure how it would holdup long-term :)

Hard to say for certain as I've only just bought it for the sake of testing it against the Liquid Chrome. I don't have a great deal of experience with silver spray paint, so you'll need to elaborate on what you mean by durable. As in, does it chip easily or rub off easily? Or something else? I could paint something and manhandle it and see how it goes, but obviously I wouldn't be able to say for sure how it would holdup long-term :)

Most silver or metallic paints tend to be soft, I can impress my fingerprint into them even after days of drying. And any handling will rub the shine right off. The chrome types are the worst, they look great as long as you never touch them. And clear coats just make them look like dull silver with a gloss coat. I've never had any luck with any clear.

Don't go out of your way, but if you do use this paint on anything I would be interested in how well it holds up after a reasonable drying time.

So here's one I prepared earlier... on the left is a grille that I painted with Molotow Burner Chrome about 3 days ago. On the right is one I painted about a month or so back with Dupli-Color Stainless Steel.

chrome samples3.jpgchrome samples4.jpg

It's important to note that on the left I painted directly onto the resin without any sanding or primer. The one on the right has been properly prepped. I scratched both of them with my thumbnail and the result is in the second photo.

I may well do some more experimentation in the weekend as I'm as curious as anyone else as to how this all holds up. I've got a bunch of silver spray paint cans and have only really liked the look of the Dupli-Color Stainless Steel.

This is looking awesome. Great tests being performed. Would definitely be interested in seeing a gold tinting and a clear coat sprayed on this chrome.

Has anyone tried the Molotow UFA Chrome spray? It's a little less chrome for a slightly more expensive price, but it may be more similar chrome like the pens and less silver like Molotow Burner Chrome. And maybe the Molotow Burner Chrome works more like other brands of chrome where you need a gloss base coat and then mist it on to get the shine out?

0824823E-6A86-420A-8141-3DEE49B141ED.jpg

I talked directly with Molotow and the Refills are not available in the US at the moment. I also talked with the Amazon seller who I have been purchasing the pens from and they have told me they will look into it when they order their next batch, but couldn't tell me how long that would be.

This used about one and a half pens so it doesn't go very far, especially out of a detail gun, but wow.. you just can't beat it. Again, one very wet coat shot at about 20 PSI.. the chrome goes almost rubbery as it dries so get your masking tape off quick. I lifted a few edges where the Molotow didn't want to break from the tape.

As for questions.. clean with Lacquer Thinner.. you can also thin it and spray it on like typical chrome paints.. Alclad, Alumaluster, that sort, which I found very interesting. I haven't been able to test the gold tinting, nor the flexibility as this stuff is rather expensive to waste... but hopefully I can run some more small scale tests soon. I did use some slight brass and candy yellow tones in the cheeks of the Kylo helmet but not nearly enough to draw a result..it does look like it will take the gold tinting nicely though.

Last edited:
It is more durable than other chromes like Alclad and Spaz Stix because it has a resin base, and if you clear coat right it can be done without any dulling of the chrome. Clearcoat right? Yeah, water based clear with a tint of violet or blue. Teeny, tiny, minuscule drop of pigment and your chrome won't cloud.

What is a resin base? I've never heard of a paint that had resin in it.

Also how did you decant the paint from the pen. I can see many ways that might go bad...

First of all, to be clear I was discussing Alumaluster when I mentioned the resin base, not Molotow Liquid Chrome. I have no idea what the composition of the Molotow is, it's certainly different.. as I said, it intrigues me that it goes through a "Rubber" phase.

If you haven't heard of a paint with a resin in it you must not have heard of many paints.. most enamel paints, acrylic paints, they have a resin base. Alkyd resins as far as I understand it. Chrome paints like Alclad are fine metallic pigments suspended in alcohol only, meaning they don't have a resin base. Alumaluster is similar, but incorporated a resin base that promotes adhesion and durability while keeping the mirror finish. Now I'm no scientist so you'll have to google it to get any more technical than that..

How did I decant it? The marker unscrews..Just unscrew it and pour it into your airbrush. As long as you have two hands and know righty-tighty lefty-loosey you should be fine. ;)

What is a resin base? I've never heard of a paint that had resin in it.

Also how did you decant the paint from the pen. I can see many ways that might go bad...

I wanted to cover up the red on the .357 snap caps I got for my Rick Grimes display... Awesome!
Can't wait to use this on everything!
20170204_231419.jpg
Original on right and Molotow on the left.
Perfect! It is really hard to get good pictures to showcase it's excellence.

homg!!! you did that using molotow chrome marker???!!! that's fantastic!!! do you have a fb page? would like to share this with the RPF group! : D

https://youtu.be/32Wn6UUkgts

Guys I am sorry to keep posting but I am blown away. I found spraying a nice wet coat out of my detail gun was the best way to get a mirror shine.. and I mean MIRROR. Seriously.. I thought Alumaluster was top dog.. this just destroys it. Sadly I ran out before I got the other cheek completely coated..

I already have 3 more on order. We definitely need to find a US supplier for the Refills! I just hope the refills aren't diluted.

Aaaaaaaand, clear coat kills it... ask me how I know. Not even my typical water based clear worked like it usually does.. I'll have to do the black bands, then tape off and redo the chrome last as the chrome doesn't like tape.

Some great pics there, Mr Mold Maker.

Molotow also does a spraypaint call Molotow Burner Chrome. I thought I'd get one of those and test it alongside the 4mm Liquid Chrome marker. I put the spoon samples alongside a store-bought silver plastic spoon for a comparison. It's kind of a dark chrome, almost a smoke chrome so probably not the ideal comparison.

View attachment 703394 View attachment 703395

Well, it's certainly no replacement for the chrome marker. As a silver spraypaint however, it's quite a nice reflective paint and you can't see the metal particles so it doesn't have that glittery effect that some silver spraypaints have. It's a very large can and has a large round spray pattern.

There are obvious streaks from the marker nib in the Liquid Chrome. I don't blame the marker, I think it's just a matter of improving my technique. Besides, as we've seen an airbrush application provides impressive results. A marker is still good for small areas though.

Thank you so much ! I have had an eye on the the Molotow chrome sprays for a few days and hesitated to order. This is just what I'm looking for, something reflective but not mirror like either.

They have 5 different chrome paints ! so I did not know which one to get. The burner looks like what I want, but I might buy a couple others though, to compare
http://shop.molotow.com/en/Cans/Molotow-Urban-Fine-Art/MOLOTOW-URBAN-FINE-ART-Effect-400ml.html
http://shop.molotow.com/en/Cans/Molotow-Artist/MOLOTOW-PREMIUM-600ml.html
http://shop.molotow.com/en/Cans/Molotow-Action/XXL-CLASSIC/MOLOTOW-XXL-CLASSIC-chrome-600ml.html
http://shop.molotow.com/en/Cans/Belton/belton-effectspray-400ml.html
http://shop.molotow.com/en/Cans/Molotow-Action/BURNER/MOLOTOW-BURNER-chrome-600ml.html

First of all, to be clear I was discussing Alumaluster when I mentioned the resin base, not Molotow Liquid Chrome. I have no idea what the composition of the Molotow is, it's certainly different.. as I said, it intrigues me that it goes through a "Rubber" phase.

If you haven't heard of a paint with a resin in it you must not have heard of many paints.. most enamel paints, acrylic paints, they have a resin base. Alkyd resins as far as I understand it. Chrome paints like Alclad are fine metallic pigments suspended in alcohol only, meaning they don't have a resin base. Alumaluster is similar, but incorporated a resin base that promotes adhesion and durability while keeping the mirror finish. Now I'm no scientist so you'll have to google it to get any more technical than that..

How did I decant it? The marker unscrews..Just unscrew it and pour it into your airbrush. As long as you have two hands and know righty-tighty lefty-loosey you should be fine. ;)

Thanks, I had no idea. I just buy paint. :lol

I wanted to make sure you weren't punching a hole in the pen to drain it because that could end up bedazzling yourself and the room. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back