Supreme Leader Snoke sculpt.. for fun

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks!

I had some left over clay from another project and thought I'd put it to use. Now I say this all the time, but I am no sculptor. This is really just for fun and practice, but quite a few people are requesting me to finish it and do a run... we'll see what happens. But anyways, onto the pictures!

938169B3-3C0D-41A9-AA47-DC3453A5538B.jpg

It is WED clay on a David Mosher headform. I am on day three or four with about 5 hours total sculpt time on the piece. I am referencing both CGI photos and the actual Maquette they sculpted for the film.. at this point it is leaning a lot more heavily towards the CGI version, but it is still sort of a mix of both.

So here is where it's at today..
76E2F027-A2B7-403F-AE17-CC123E89106A.jpg

There are still some major flaws to work out here before I can even think of finer detail, so I will keep mushing the clay around until I'm happy. I don't think it's that bad for a guy in his kitchen though.. and hopefully it's recognizable as Snoke! His asymmetric and disfigured features are certainly a challenge to replicate but I hope I'm on the right track!

Hopefully I'll have updates at some point soon.
Thanks for viewing! :)

938169B3-3C0D-41A9-AA47-DC3453A5538B.jpg

76E2F027-A2B7-403F-AE17-CC123E89106A.jpg

You say you are no sculptor. I don't believe you. Anyone who feels the urge to sculpt is a sculptor and your work speaks for itself. Keep up the great work.

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.

I don't mean I'm not a sculptor in a literal sense I guess. I guess technically I am a sculptor. I mean it more in a "I'm no good sculptor" type of way. Great sculptors have vision, patience and talent. In my mind, I am not there yet. Give me five or ten more years and then I'll claim to be a sculptor. :) For now? Just fun and practice. And boy is it fun!

Dude. That looks freaking killer! Great job man. I never use WED to sculpt stuff like that cause Im too lazy to have to keep it moist and cover it etc. Looks amazing though, cant wait til its done!

Thank you Snikt!

I used to stay away from WED because I didn't like all the work after. Spraying and wrapping the piece, cleaning the tools and work area, scrubbing the clay off my hands, etc. after each session. Especially the cleaning I don't like.. doesn't matter if I work for 20 minutes or two hours, it still manages to get everywhere! I don't know when it happened but I switched to WED and I just can't get the feel for oil anymore, no matter how hard I try so WED it is.

Dude. That looks freaking killer! Great job man. I never use WED to sculpt stuff like that cause Im too lazy to have to keep it moist and cover it etc. Looks amazing though, cant wait til its done!

This is awesome! I'm in the same boat as you - not a self proclaimed sculptor - just having some fun. I'm interested to see how you plan to mold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm calling you out at the no sculptor claim, if you did that much work in so little time you are a sculptor lol. It'd take me 5 hours just to figure out a basic shape.

Very nice, I know what you mean about WED vs oil, anything as big as a head now I'm all over the WED lol. So much faster and in my opinion more fun!
Seriously cool sculpt, wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the CGI one, I really hated that, wish I could delete it from the movie... in fact if anyone can animate your version over the CGI one on my DVD I'll pay them for it?? ;)

whats the the plan for the finished piece?

Thank you everyone, I definitely appreciate your input! I know there isn't too much to go off of reference wise but if anything sticks out, feel free to point it out. Fresh eyes can never hurt. :)

whats the the plan for the finished piece?

To be honest, I didn't intend for this to be anything but practice. I would sculpt it, take a few photos, and smash it back into the block whence it came.
I guess quite a few people were unhappy with that, and due to peer pressure, I suppose I may mold it and cast a few when finished. :lol We'll see where the sculpture goes.

I'll be honest, I'm legitimately as surprised as you guys are. I have no idea where this is coming from.. things are just sort of clicking. I hope I didn't just jinx myself...

380F8C65-82B7-415C-B4A5-DCFF2E743773.jpgF1B8801E-73EA-46FA-A0E3-7DC8DF23158B.jpg

So I got another two hours or so in today. I'm slowly working my way around the sculpture and fixing smaller stuff using reference as much as I can. I changed the shape of the head, the brows, and worked on his more human looking ear. I also added the little skin pulls near his lip. So much weird stuff going on with this character!

The forehead wrinkles are just scratched in and by no means final, and the same goes for the slight texture. I just wanted to get something on there.
Next on the agenda is the forehead scar, and the funky ear. I am going to pretty much just fill the current scar in and start from scratch as the placement isn't quite right. The wrinkles, I'm hoping, will help guide me when I place the new one.

That's it for today! :)

For now? I will be bagging him and cleaning all my tools and work area. So much fun. :(

Last edited:
Nice sculpting, sculptor ;)
Point taken, thank you Jasper. :)

Two more hours tonight. Small changes. Shape of the head mostly. Scar placement is slightly better, but I'm still not sold on it. The left proper side of the head needs work still and I will address that next. I feel like the big stuff is getting pretty close to dialed in, so I may start working on the smaller scarring and stretched skin, etc.

IMG_6777.JPGIMG_6778.JPGIMG_6779.JPGIMG_6787.JPG

If I do end up molding and casting a few of these, I know I'd want to do it in a translucent resin so I am sculpting just a touch more heavily than if it was just opaque resin. I've found translucent mediums. Especially silicone, wash out detail super easily. A slightly heavier hand now, and a good paint app later, and it should look like a nice, realistic, flesh tone.

Last edited:
This is looking fantastic can't wait for the completed sculpt your a master with your hands
im all a flutter inside with this sculpt
pending on final price and shipping costs to the uk ( if you do a run that is ) put me down for one

Thank you! I did some small work to it today actually.. still making pretty small changes so I haven't updated with pictures, but it's still well on its way.

I have given into peer pressure.. I will do a small run when it is finished. :)

This is looking fantastic can't wait for the completed sculpt your a master with your hands
im all a flutter inside with this sculpt
pending on final price and shipping costs to the uk ( if you do a run that is ) put me down for one

Thank you! I did some small work to it today actually.. still making pretty small changes so I haven't updated with pictures, but it's still well on its way.

I have given into peer pressure.. I will do a small run when it is finished. :)

so so pleased you bowed down to peer pressure I'm such a happy bunny :D

This looks really nice! I think your sculpture is a lot more interesting to look at than the rendered version in the film!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back