Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
During my somewhat boring lunchtimes at work I've modeled this guy:

K2_1.jpg

K2_2.jpg

K2_3.jpg

K2_4.jpg

K2_5.jpg

Was a fun side project when I had a little free time during the day. What else are you supposed to do at lunch? :) I love K2 and I wanted to model something hard surface in Maya... so two birds with one stone. He is as accurate as I can possibly make him, used every piece of preference I can get my hands on, scoured the internet. Not 100% sure what to do with it now tbh *shrug* but ive posted it here as I'll probably... maybe... get him 3D printed. Maybe. He would look cool standing in the corner of my office at home.

I don't know we'll see, cost depending.

Hope you like it.

Last edited:
Been researching prices and materials but it's looking highly likely I'll be able to get him fabricated. Will take a few weeks but can't wait!

So, unfortunately I can't justify the cost of getting my K2 model 3D printed :( would have cost minimum 5 grand. However! I am now going to make him out of plastic card and P38 using this as my detailed blueprints. Might take a bit longer but I am determined

This is outstanding...I'm making a full size K2 as well, all 3D printed. Wish I had your skills to model something like this myself

So, unfortunately I can't justify the cost of getting my K2 model 3D printed :( would have cost minimum 5 grand. However! I am now going to make him out of plastic card and P38 using this as my detailed blueprints. Might take a bit longer but I am determined

Yeeeeyyyyyyy, bring on the plasti card 'n' for filler build any day over the 3D print one. Much more interesting build. Have you started yet?
start now!
*pulls up chair

So... long delay, finally an update. After realising I couldn't afford 3D printing :( and also realising plastic card would take about 100 years or so :) I finally decided upon buying a CNC machine and CNCing K-2SO from MDF. Took a while but bought one, learnt how to use it etc... tricky! but eventually I have my first piece of K-2SO done! Figuring out scale and speed took a while but I'm here now. I need to go a bit easy on tolerance by about half a mm as this was a bit too snug but trial and error. I'm still getting some parts 3d printed as... well... worth it imo. So here are the two mediums combined.

*Austin Powers* Yeah Baby! *Austin Powers*

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

Update. I want to get this right rather than done quickly. I have been, or my CNC machine, has been hard at work milling out K2 pieces. However since Rogue One was released on Blu Ray I have gone back to my 3D model. I have noticed quite a few small but important changes that I had missed on my earlier version. So I am giving him another once over before I proceed any further :thumbsup

This is EPICness in the making.
So happy for you.
Dont know why, but I'm so more excited that this is being CNC'd out of mdf, then a 3D print.
Probably cause I, myself love using wood as a medium.
Cant wait for updates.
Goodluck.
Robert

Right big update... huge :D after many many failed attempts to get this project off the ground I can officially dance around as Thunderbirds are Go!

I have just sent off all the files for 3d printing, that's going to be one big parcel when it arrives :) It will probably take about 2 months but I have so much to do in the mean time... machine out the small tiny details its better to do on a CNC, work on the electronics and puppetry. Oh man, so excited :D

K2SO_1.JPG

That's a test piece fyi, updates when I have them

Ok here we go, prints still haven’t arrived but that hasn’t stopped me getting on with all the other bits.

Here are some of K2s knee parts:

IMG_0464.JPG

I CNCed out the base shapes in hardwood:

IMG_0459.JPG

Moulded it:

IMG_0460.JPG

Cast multiple layers:

IMG_0461.JPG

Glued them together and tided them up:

IMG_0462.JPG

And there we go, K2 knee parts. Same piece cast twice which goes either side of the knee and the ball baring in the middle to allow free movement. It’s so satisfying to just sit there spinning the central ring :)

IMG_0463.JPG

Im hoping the major prints will arrive in just over a week. I’ll cold cast these parts next.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back