Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 21, 2017, 10:11 PM - Another Ding-Dang PKD #1

I've had this on the back-burner for a bit, but finally decided to jump in and start getting my hands dirty. I built a PFC version of Deckard's gun last year out of a CAW MULE Charter Arms replica and some Tomenosuke bits. Turned out pretty cool! But the thirst remained for a live-fire.

So I got these:

And started thinking about what my build would look like. I want the whole thing to be blued. With grips from smoked acrylic. This was an early design I toyed with.

I think in the end I will go for a more traditional shape & checkering pattern, but I love the smoked acrylic as an alternative to the amber.

But then I stalled out! Milling into the Steyr was just so intimidating... until today!

Not bad for a few hours work! I still need to mill out the clearance for the cylinder, but for a total noob when it comes to this kind of stuff I think I did alright.

I used carbide end-mills, and took shallow cuts. Honestly, I was expecting total abject disaster because that's usually how these things go for me, so I'm calling this a victory for now

I'll be out of town all next week, but hopefully when I come back I'll finish this up and then try to build some momentum back up on this project!
  2. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Jan 21, 2017, 10:30 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #2

I'd like to see how the smoked grips turn out!
    From
    Florida
    Jan 21, 2017, 11:12 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #3

"Gosh... You've really got some nice toys here."
    -Roy Batty
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 22, 2017, 12:04 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #4

Panaflex said: View Post
    "Gosh... You've really got some nice toys here."
    -Roy Batty
    My friends are my toys. I make them.
  5. RPF Premium Member juajn7fernandez's Avatar
    Jan 22, 2017, 12:11 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #5

Man you are really teasing me to get the bulldog!!

Awesome work so far bro!!

Did you do build thread for the other one you finished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 22, 2017, 12:24 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #6

Sure do. It's this one.

juajn7fernandez said: View Post
    Man you are really teasing me to get the bulldog!!

Awesome work so far bro!!

Did you do build thread for the other one you finished?

7. RPF Premium Member juajn7fernandez's Avatar
    Jan 22, 2017, 12:36 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #7

Of course!! How could I forget about that one?!?! Great stuff my friend! Looking forward to your progress on this one.
    From
    Denmark
    Jan 22, 2017, 7:59 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #8

Oh man.... love the idea with the smoked grips! Cant wait to see more!!
    Jan 22, 2017, 7:14 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #9

And count me in also!!
  10. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 12, 2017, 11:30 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #10

So I was mindin' my own business just finishing up the cuts on this receiver when disaster struck.

It. Just. Cracked. Tore in slow motion, like paper. If I had some advice to give past self, I would say "hey dummy, make these cuts before you hog out the receiver and turn this thing into a little delicate, yet INTEGRAL, leaf." Then I'd slap myself. Then I'd say "Hey, but if you ignore me and screw it up anyway here's some silver-solder."

Phew! This build was going so smooth, I was should have known I'd have a catastrophe to deal with sooner than later.

Anyhow, here it is layed out with some spare Tomen parts.

Bummer is that the flux and heat from the silver-solder hurt the bluing, so I'm gonna have to strip it and re-blue the whole thing. One hurdle at a time, though...
    From
    Venice CA
    Feb 13, 2017, 6:39 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #11

Nice progress!
    Feb 13, 2017, 8:51 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #12

Crisis averted! These transfo are not for the faint of heart...Keep up the great job!
    From
    Middle Earth (aka - New Zealand)
    Feb 14, 2017, 12:47 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #13

Oh and that sick feeling that follows that will bring a grown man to the brink of tears! And sometimes over

Good job sorting it tho, it's looking amazing already!

14. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 14, 2017, 10:21 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #14

tmax said: View Post
    Oh and that sick feeling that follows that will bring a grown man to the brink of tears! And sometimes over

Good job sorting it tho, it's looking amazing already!

All manner of curse words were used. Thanks for the kind words! This build is pushing me into uncharted territory pretty much every step of the way. Learning a ton, though.

From
    Tempe, Arizona
    Feb 14, 2017, 10:43 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #15

Watching closely. Amazing work so far! Keep it up!
    From
    Ohio
    Feb 14, 2017, 11:15 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #16

Victor, bummer on the tearing action, but the rest of the milling turned out great!
    I should send my receiver to you to have you do it for me.
  17. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 14, 2017, 11:45 AM - Another Ding-Dang PKD #17

mugatu said: View Post
    Victor, bummer on the tearing action, but the rest of the milling turned out great!
    I should send my receiver to you to have you do it for me.
    Big ol' bummer! I'm pretty sure I've got it licked, though. The sheer strength on the stuff I used ought to hold up to the force of the .44's recoil, and if it doesn't I'll just reinforce it with something.

I actually scored a second receiver for a criminally low sum a while back (found a rifle with a broken stock, guy just wanted it gone), so I'll eventually make a go at that with everything I've learned from this one. I'm pretty sure I have a good order of operations for the cuts now, but I'm gonna have to do at least one more before I'd want to risk somebody else's!

You'd be first in line if I do, of course

18. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 18, 2017, 10:22 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #18

Just playin around with some ideas. Always liked how Rick Ross kept the extractor on the bolt of his PKDs, so I mocked this up:

Also, I stripped the bluing. I'll probably buff it and blue it back. This is my non-canon build so I've got some decisions to make here.
    Feb 19, 2017, 11:42 AM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #19

I love the Rick Ross's ejector design better than the regular one. Good call
  20. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 19, 2017, 12:14 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #20

Thanks! The bolt is stainless, so it's going to be a pain in the butt to deal with. Might be easier just to make a new one out of aluminum that will already fit and add a fake a extractor on there. It's only going to travel an inch anyway. Using the original bolt is an attractive option, though, because it's already built to connect to the end cap and bolt handle. All I'd really have to do is grind it into that pie shape...

joberg said: View Post
    I love the Rick Ross's ejector design better than the regular one. Good call
  21. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 26, 2017, 9:58 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #21

I've been finding myself working weekends the past few weeks, so I haven't had much time to put towards the build. Buuuuuut, today I sat down with my dremel, hand files, and various grits of sandpaper to get the "rear mounting leaf ledge" taken care of. I knew it wouldn't survive the mill, so I had to do it the hard way. Again - just make that cut first! Lol, anyway... pics (crappy, blurry ones).

Cool! Probably gonna tackle the barrel and end-plug next
  22. RPF Premium Member BadAtNames's Avatar
    From
    Albany, NY
    Feb 26, 2017, 11:30 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #22

God bless all you brave S.O.B's who've come before me, taking milling machines to all these beautiful Steyrs.

Where'd you get the side cover you're mocking up with in that last pic? Those seem like nearly impossible pieces to re-create without access to laser scanners and CNC milling machines, etc. Is it a Coyle or a Tomen or something? Will you actually be using that one on this build?
  23. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 26, 2017, 11:45 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #23

That side cover is from a Tomenosuke kit. I've been using this project to learn a bunch of new stuff, so the end goal is to have everything on it made by me... unless I just can't get it to work. The side covers are definitely gonna be a pain in the butt.

The milling work is really simple, but that doesn't mean it's not really easy to mess up all the same. I've had a couple moments of panic already that I've thankfully managed to wiggle my way out of, but it always feels like the next "oh ******" moment is right around the corner x_x

All that said, it's been a ton of fun so far!

BadAtNames said: View Post
    God bless all you brave S.O.B's who've come before me, taking milling machines to all these beautiful Steyrs.

Where'd you get the side cover you're mocking up with in that last pic? Those seem like nearly impossible pieces to re-create without access to laser scanners and CNC milling machines, etc. Is it a Coyle or a Tomen or something? Will you actually be using that one on this build?
  24. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Feb 27, 2017, 8:12 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #24

Beautiful work indeed! Congratulations to you on having the presence of mind to properly repair the receiver... I probably would have broke down and sulked for weeks before figuring out a way to salvage the thing. Will be closely following this build- firing replicas are always fascinating.
    From
    Australia
    Feb 27, 2017, 10:59 PM - Re: Another Ding-Dang PKD #25

Stunning work!

All the best
    MARK