Another Ding-Dang PKD

3b9643caac2ea44b141c9dd164d85c34.jpg

Been energized by all the 2049 hype, and decided to get things moving again. Bent the bolt handle, and carved out the remaining receiver bits so they'd fit over the bulldog. Shaped the magazine housing. Feels good to see some progress on this again!

f023ed2e061b52c26a8c9a1f650f8f15.jpg

iuqK7Qi.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! So how did you go about bending the bolt handle? I'm still not clear on how to ensure the bolt handle has the right radius to clear the cylinder...

Nice! So how did you go about bending the bolt handle? I'm still not clear on how to ensure the bolt handle has the right radius to clear the cylinder...

Like most of the scary bits so far, I just kinda dove in.

QIqp8BH.gif

It's actually not a complex bend on the bolt lever. I compared it to a Tomenosuke and Coyle levers I have, and fired up the torch. Make sure you're not accidentally bending on another axis as well like I did the first time! Took a lot of noodling around later to address some axial twist which was a pain. Should have just paid more attention the first time (words to put on my tombstone).

Thanks everyone! Some very fiddly steps ahead, but that's where the fun is (and heart attacks). I want to have it finished by the time 2049 hits theaters. Of course, as I type that I realize that only gives me about 2.5 months 0_0

Yikes!

8de8e164039df58ac9a1c11529eeb925.jpg

Learned a lot of hard lessons about working with stainless steel this weekend. The first usable barrel I turned was .1" too short [emoji24]. I had enough stock left to make one more, though. I think I'm going to use the shorty as my guinea pig for threading & drilling for mating to the upper receiver. The other one is about .3" too long so I have plenty of room to adjust the shoulder after the threads are cut. Lots of work left, but progress is still being made.

I also got some grub screws in the receiver :)

57b6f10a51f6a414b714fe7a5c63825b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get giddy every time I see an update to this build pop up in my feed!

So what kind of lathe are you turning the barrel(s) on, and how do you know what threading you need?

Also, do you think you'll have to drill the holes in the barrel for the Steyr mounting points after you've attached the barrel to the Bulldog receiver? Didn't Eltee say you had to have the barrel torqued on a certain amount? Seems like it would be impossible to know where a particular point on the outside of the barrel would land if the mark you're trying to hit is one of force and not position...

I'm using a Kent 1440. I used a thread gauge and some calipers for determining the threading. I popped those into in internet, and it turns out .578 x 28 is a common barrel threading for .45 cal, so it makes sense that they'd use it for a .44 as well. I bought a nut with that threading to check the stock barrel, and sure enough it fits perfect.

As for fitting a barrel... jeez it's not easy. Well, I'm sure for a professional gunsmith it is, but as a hobbyist there's a learning curve for sure. First you need to make sure you're centered off the bore of the barrel blank, otherwise it won't align with the cylinder. Then you need to adjust your cylinder gap (space between protruding barrel and the cylinder) or you'll be spitting lead out the sides. Then you need to cut your forcing cone... it's so much work. I predict that I will end up having to make at least one more before I get something that checks out 100% : /

I'll definitely mark the places to drill after I've fitted the top receiver and stuff. I'f I drilled them now, I'd have to be super exact with the length of the shoulder (unthreaded area where the barrel mates flush with the bulldog) so that the timing of those lined up correctly.

There's still so much work to do : /

Sometimes I want to just toss out the live-fire aspect, because then I wouldn't have to be so worried about all these pesky clearances :wacko:angry

I get giddy every time I see an update to this build pop up in my feed!

So what kind of lathe are you turning the barrel(s) on, and how do you know what threading you need?

Also, do you think you'll have to drill the holes in the barrel for the Steyr mounting points after you've attached the barrel to the Bulldog receiver? Didn't Eltee say you had to have the barrel torqued on a certain amount? Seems like it would be impossible to know where a particular point on the outside of the barrel would land if the mark you're trying to hit is one of force and not position...

Sometimes I want to just toss out the live-fire aspect, because then I wouldn't have to be so worried about all these pesky clearances :wacko:angry

Of that I have no doubt. Just keep thinking of how badass it will be when you actually pull it off, and the skills you will have learned in the process!

And if all else fails, do like I do and watch this regularly to keep yourself excited: https://youtu.be/_6vJK3Hh-1s?t=23s

Took a whack at the trigger guard in my vice with some 1/2" x 1/4" cold rolled, a couple hand files, and a lot of sand paper. Woof.

bXzoV4F.jpg

HCSnyzo.jpg

Ibxc8p9.jpg

nDwoN2d.jpg

Here's my high-tech bending jig.

oba3Unp.jpg

I kept checking against this tomen TG, just working it across the pivot points on my jig.

n0iPOzU.jpg

Hardest part was getting that sharp 90 degree bend that mounts against the Bulldog's grip frame. A little perseverance, though, and bob's yer uncle.

JZrZ7JI.jpg

There's still some final fitting left to do, but it's pretty much done!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back