Jyn Erso Metal Blaster Parts

It's there because the part is chrome plated. Typical chrome plating for applications requiring durability is a three-step process which starts with copper plating, followed by nickel, then chromium.The media blasting removed enough material to expose the first layer of copper plating.
Well that makes sense but It still was not what I expected. I figured raw aluminum, regardless, enough elbow grease and some 100 grit sandpaper will remove just about everything shy of a bad memory. thanks for the information.

I figured it was aluminum. Steel would be too heavy, but I like heavy things. Aluminum would be fine though. Test it with a magnet and I bet it won't stick.

I assumed it was steel because someone said it appears to be cast rather than machined, and it just doesn't make any sense to me to plate aluminum. But who knows? insert shrug here.

It is aluminum, then?

Guys if its not aluminum its some other similar metal like zinc or something. It weights next to nothing and honestly I thought it was plastic with plating but its definitely metal. Aluminum can be cast and is often done for mass production. AR-15 receivers can be cast or milled (I prefer milled) so this could be aluminum. Another though that I had was that it was resin and aluminum powder "Cold Cast" having never seen anything cold cast I can not really say but I do not think its resin. I took a blow torch to it several times when I was trying different things to remove the plating. The metal would not even discolor with the heat. I applied oil to see if I could get some nice heat patina and nothing changed.

Ok guys, here some pictures of the inside of the parts and you can several circles that look like they are mold marks or something (not sure what the technical term is.

vqKUoer.jpg

ZegZFVR.jpg

Hope that better explains what i was referring to previously.

mgoob, my thinking exactly. DeLano80, I t may be but I don't think so. I think its cast aluminum. However to know for sure, I would have to cut into it and I do not want to ruin it. I can tell you that when I ground down the right side detail, it looked solid and aluminum.

Picked up the AW Blaster. Given that it wasn't an accurate base I didnt try to go to much into screen ref'ing it, rather went with personal taste. Sanded down as much of that weird clear coat layer as I could without exposing the "copper" like under layer, then lots of layers of Aluminium Black before polishing back down (except the Ring and under strut piece which got WD40 instead to keep it black) Little AK clear blue on the muzzle tip for heat burn.

jynerso_a180blaster.jpg

I'm assuming that if you keep sanding past the copper you'll come to silver once again, just like the plating on the Wand Phaser.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I did test inside it first and really went to town on it, and it didnt seem to show any sign of getting past that copper layer. Maybe it would take some more heavy duty grit.

Sorry, I saw this and meant to check and get back to you, but I done gone and forgot!

Glad you figured it out!

Although I would've recommended you save a bit more and get the uber-accurate Field Marshal kit!

Although I would've recommended you save a bit more and get the uber-accurate Field Marshal kit!

Or... spend a bit more and just get one of his completed blasters. I got one, that thing is beautiful. It may very well be my favorite blaster in my collection, and I’ve got a lot blasters.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back