Terminator: Dark Fate

Because it is a computer - it follows logic. It doesn't really send it back to change anything, but to follow the logical course, because when becoming self-aware it now knows the source of its origin - a T800 Terminator microchip. So... logic dictates that it has to send one back. It has to because it has already happened. So Skynet is just going by what it's logically supposed to do - it knows it won't succeed, because history told it it wouldn't, but it has to send the terminator back because it already has sent one back. Get it. The proof is in the records, so it has to do it. Logic dictates it!

Spock would be proud.

I think logic would dictate that Skynet should do something different, since its expected course didn't work. Why would it feel some obligation to maintain the timeline just on principle? Skynet is in its death throes at the time it was supposed to it send the Terminators back. It literally has nothing to lose by rolling the dice on something different.

This stuff will twist a brain up in knots.

Because it is a computer - it follows logic. It doesn't really send it back to change anything, but to follow the logical course, because when becoming self-aware it now knows the source of its origin - a T800 Terminator microchip. So... logic dictates that it has to send one back. It has to because it has already happened. So Skynet is just going by what it's logically supposed to do - it knows it won't succeed, because history told it it wouldn't, but it has to send the terminator back because it already has sent one back. Get it. The proof is in the records, so it has to do it. Logic dictates it!

Spock would be proud.
PoisedSnoopyCoqui-max-1mb.gif

I think logic would dictate that Skynet should do something different, since its expected course didn't work. Why would it feel some obligation to maintain the timeline just on principle? Skynet is in its death throes at the time it was supposed to it send the Terminators back. It literally has nothing to lose by rolling the dice on something different.

This stuff will twist a brain up in knots.
Because, logic dictates that it has to otherwise it will never exist. It's that simple. It knows it has already happened, so it HAS to do it. It is not bogged down by human sensibilities such as not accepting reality just because you don't like it, nor accepting it if you like it - it just accepts it as it is. It takes things at face value and it wouldn't exist at all if it didn't send that terminator back, so why would it do anything different that would result in it NEVER existing - as a computer it would know that even a small deviation could result in something different, so why risk that? It has everything to lose... that's the whole point.

And who says the planning happened only at the time of its eminent destruction? A time displacement device would take a long time to figure out and get operational in a post apocalyptic world - since it knows it has to do it, it likely started planning that from the moment it became self-aware, so it wouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction when the terminator is sent back - also... you don't know how late in the war it sent the terminator back to 1984 - we are just told that it sent one back, so it could have happened very quickly after the T-800 series was developed at the end of the war and then Reese was sent back weeks or even months later - to think it can only have been sent back minutes or hours prior to Reese would be a lack of understanding of how time travel works. :)

Because, logic dictates that it has to otherwise it will never exist. It's that simple. It knows it has already happened, so it HAS to do it. It is not bogged down by human sensibilities such as not accepting reality just because you don't like it, nor accepting it if you like it - it just accepts it as it is. It takes things at face value and it wouldn't exist at all if it didn't send that terminator back, so why would it do anything different that would result in it NEVER existing - as a computer it would know that even a small deviation could result in something different, so why risk that? It has everything to lose... that's the whole point.

I don't see why Skynet would care whether it died or it never existed. Either way, it was aware that it was about to stop existing and that equals failure. There aren't varying degrees of dead.

In light of that, sticking to the gameplan was a guaranteed failure for Skynet. Trying something different might mean Skynet never existed or it might mean the story just took a little longer or developed differently. Therefore trying something else was not a guaranteed failure.

I thought Reese said "the war was over, we'd won. Skynet had no choice." I would take that as pretty late in the war.

Again... what does he know other than that he's speculating that's what happened? He states himself he doesn't know tech-stuff. So where did he get that info? Sure... the tech nerds that sent him home could have told him that... but again... it takes an awful long time to figure out and build a time displacement device... so... I'm not seeing any rush on Skynet's part in any way. Just that the humans assume that.

Also... Reese actually has no way of knowing whether the war was actually over. He was sent back, so he really doesn't know what the future holds beyond that.

I don't see why Skynet would care whether it died or it never existed. Either way, it was aware that it was about to stop existing and that equals failure. There aren't varying degrees of dead.

In light of that, sticking to the gameplan was a guaranteed failure for Skynet. Trying something different might mean Skynet never existed or it might mean the story just took a little longer or developed differently. Therefore trying something else was not a guaranteed failure.
Because it will know that doing anything different will not result in this timeline's Skynet existing in any other way. It may secure another timeline's Skynet to win or even never get made. But it will never do anything different for itself.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ion-this-summer/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Starts filming this summer. As Schwarzenegger notes, "Deadpool‘s Tim Miller is slated to direct the film, which is both set to start a new trilogy of films and also work as a direct sequel to Terminator 2: Judgment Day, ignoring Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Terminator: Salvation, and Terminator Genisys".

Supposedly Linda Hamilton is returning as well.
Gaaah, this is what really really irks me...just make a good movie. Period. Everything has to be a franchise, trilogy, cinematic universe, etc whatever, can't just make a sequel or a movie.
I liked Genisys more than I would admit it, saw it twice in the theatre, was looking forward to revisiting it on home video (even though plenty of the seams were opening up by the second viewing) and got totally turned off when they announced they were scrapping the sequels, haven't even watched it since. It's like getting the meat patty and halfway there they just cancel the buns and the pickle. It's just not a burger. Give me a smaller burger then but make it a damn burger, not half a product where the rest would be given in the next installment. Unless it's cancelled.

Gaaah, this is what really really irks me...just make a good movie. Period. Everything has to be a franchise, trilogy, cinematic universe, etc whatever, can't just make a sequel or a movie.
I liked Genisys more than I would admit it, saw it twice in the theatre, was looking forward to revisiting it on home video (even though plenty of the seams were opening up by the second viewing) and got totally turned off when they announced they were scrapping the sequels, haven't even watched it since. It's like getting the meat patty and halfway there they just cancel the buns and the pickle. It's just not a burger. Give me a smaller burger then but make it a damn burger, not half a product where the rest would be given in the next installment. Unless it's cancelled.

Wait... You're irritated with sequels, yet you're no longer able to enjoy Genisys because there wasn't a sequel?

Wait... You're irritated with sequels, yet you're no longer able to enjoy Genisys because there wasn't a sequel?
I’m irritated with the current state of moviemaking where everything is to be built up to a franchise, cinematic universe, trilogy etc.
Genisys got mostly sunk for me because it had quite a few storylines set up to be resolved later, ended on an open ending and then the rest just got flushed down the loo. Imagine if ROTJ was mever made just coz ESB underperformed. Genisys is the prime example that there is no care or inspiration to making one movie as a whole and if it works and there’s more left to tell then make sequel. Instead they make the story half-done so that there’s space to go with sequels but if it’s not successful then sod it, whoever was invested in the open-ended parts will not get any resolution. I thought my burger parallel made sense. A similar situation is when a tv series gets cancelled halfway. You buy a tabletop and a leg with a promise to get the rest later but you’re left short of three legs coz the joiner company went bankrupt. That’s why most joiners companies sell full tables with all parts in the package.

Hollywood has gotten burned several times in the last few years, counting their cinematic universes long before they were hatched. Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters, King Arthur, The Mummy, etc. They were all supposed to launch multiple other movies.

I suspect (hope) the studios will restrain the habit a little more in the future.

The Terminator movies are a great example of taking a simple and (in its way) beautiful idea and sucking all the life right out of it.

It's common knowledge that James Cameron got the idea for The Terminator from a literal fever dream: just the image of a metal torso dragging itself away from a fire. He was so disturbed by that image that he wrote the whole movie around it.

All of the subsequent movies have, in one way or another, defanged that kernel of an idea. The original story was about ordinary people trying to escape an unstoppable killing machine. The sequels have all been about unstoppable killing machines fighting other unstoppable killing machines with the main characters are little more than bystanders. Terminator 2 is a good movie —*not flawless, but good — but it's not scary like The Terminator was. It's an action movie, not a horror movie.

All this to say that I think the concept peaked with the first movie, and the increasingly long line of pain-hazed-death-march sequels is, at best, unnecessary.

The new terminator seems like an interesting casting choice to me . Im definitely looking forward to what he brings to the table.

The Terminator movies are a great example of taking a simple and (in its way) beautiful idea and sucking all the life right out of it.

It's common knowledge that James Cameron got the idea for The Terminator from a literal fever dream: just the image of a metal torso dragging itself away from a fire. He was so disturbed by that image that he wrote the whole movie around it.

All of the subsequent movies have, in one way or another, defanged that kernel of an idea. The original story was about ordinary people trying to escape an unstoppable killing machine. The sequels have all been about unstoppable killing machines fighting other unstoppable killing machines with the main characters are little more than bystanders. Terminator 2 is a good movie —*not flawless, but good — but it's not scary like The Terminator was. It's an action movie, not a horror movie.

All this to say that I think the concept peaked with the first movie, and the increasingly long line of pain-hazed-death-march sequels is, at best, unnecessary.

THANK YOU!

I've always believed that the first Terminator movie was the superior of the films. It was dark, gritty, and unrelenting. The tension of the film was palpable.

The sequels have always been about one-upmanship.

T2: "Let's do Terminator, but make him out of liquid metal!"

T3: "Liquid Metal over an endoskeleton! AND IT'S A CHICK!!!"

TS: "Proto-Terminators, Motorcycle Terminators, Swimming Terminators, Flying Terminators, and... wait, what were we doing again?"

Genysis: "Second verse, same as the first! TO THE TARDIS- erm, THE TEMPORAL DISPLACEMENT DEVICE!"

Only thing that really came close to matching the greatness of the original was The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back