Randy Cooper Ghost

Excellent. Have you found any special concern areas?

if you are going to light the model you will have to have a good think about what way you are going to do it there are some holes that will need to be drilled and some channels cut to run the wires as well.
I have another tip to share when working on large resin models but I will needs to take a photo and post it.

What steps have you done for lighting yours?

I have drilled out the engines, I used my lathe on the larger engines and use a drill press on the block mounted ones plus I have drilled out the two front blocks with two holes in each these are drilled out with two different size drills one the size of the LED and the other a little over size of the back ring of the LED. When drilling the back hole with the larger drill it is important to get the depth right so you don't drill right through the resin block. I will post some pictures of the lighting and wiring when I get more advanced.

IMG_3772.JPG When working with large resin parts it is good to make your self a large sanding block, this is a full sheet of 80 grit sand paper white glued to flat board. It is easy to clean just vacuum the resin dust off it or wash it of under the tap.
IMG_3773.JPGIMG_3774.JPG

Sometimes you may need to have a larger sanding area just glue two pieces of sand paper together. Keeping a even pressure on the part will give you a even sand, just remember the 80 grit paper can be quite aggressive and remove more material on each stroke.
You may need to check the amount you are removing on each stroke so you don't remove too much.
Be careful also when your fingers are close to the board as it can remove skin very easily.

yeah as a body shop guy I have buzzed my knuckles on many a grit lol. All fantastic tips. How out of flush are the larger halves? I dont have a lathe so I might not light this model. A real shame but I also dont want to fubar any pieces trying to do it by hand. Maybe I can find a member who might be sympathetic to the rebel cause.

yeah as a body shop guy I have buzzed my knuckles on many a grit lol. All fantastic tips. How out of flush are the larger halves? I dont have a lathe so I might not light this model. A real shame but I also dont want to fubar any pieces trying to do it by hand. Maybe I can find a member who might be sympathetic to the rebel cause.

It is not out as such but you need to flatten of the parts so you can glue them together. When the resin dry's it leaves a meniscus on the edges that if you sand it back it will give you a better and larger giving you surface.

You don't need a lathe to drill the engine a steady hand and a steady hand will do the trick as well.
If you are not going to light the kit it will save you a lot of work doing some of the interior parts of the model as they need lights to be seen.

Kit got here. some broken bits on the halves the thin stuff where it meats the center section. Inventorying now.

Last edited by a moderator:
So all my bits are here. Some broke but whatevs I guess. I will say packaging could have been tighter. The big engines were in the bag free floating with the smaller bits. I think most of my damage came from this. If it were me I Would have wrapped each engine in bubble wrap. I have no issue paying more for shipping material. I digress.

So I guess one just starts by picking a piece and going to work on flashing and holes.....lots of holes.....

Still the details on most of the big pieces is very nice. Lots of the smaller pieces have blobs over the greeblies. I know if I attempt to remove said blobs I will destroy the piece.

16601871_10212421822159401_4222383799239127215_o.jpg

What are you using for glue?
I use gust super glue for most of my resin kits but I always try and pin as many parts as I can, this will give the model strength.
Plus if you are going to have the model in a landed mode you will need to change the resin struts on the landing gear to brass.

I started work on the middle section where the small ship docks. It seems like the side walls are broken out. It looks like yours is like this too. The channel were the room slides into needs some clean up work for sure. Lots of small patches look to have been glued in down there. Picked up a bunch of small files today hoping to get something down in there. I did clean up the cockpit and passenger hold area. How far have you gotten with yours?

Whats new mate? I am wrapping up the FM falcon but I am looking at this every day. Trying to find a place to start but am drawing a blank

Lots of sanding going on over here. Trying to find the best way to make sure the main engines are aligned and level to each other.

Have you noticed that the corridors in the middle dont line up when you install the upper halves? It seems the only adjustment is with the twin engine piece and the lower fin nozzle

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back