Rogue One DH-17 Blaster

humvee0519

I saw a discussion on the Rebel Legion about my favorite Star Wars blaster, the DH17. Blasters in Rogue One slightly differ from the blasters seen in the original trilogy. Some reports suggest a slightly longer receiver and a different scope. IMFDB says theres one with what appears to be a Magpul CTR stock! Bistains (aka Space Monkey Door Gunner) is a hybrid of a DH17 and a Stormtrooper E11(as per the R1 visual guide). Discuss away. Pictures if you got em.

SWR1_302.jpg

Here is a shot of a Rebel Trooper with a R1 version of the DH17. It appears to have a rod of some sort above the barrel. The barrel its self has a longer silver part than its counterparts in ANH.

il_875xN.1169297861_lnre.jpg

here is a blaster from an ETSY page. you see the rod? This blaster has a short silver barrel unlike the one seen above.
Here is the sellers page nonetheless.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/505520725/star-wars-rogue-one-dh-17-blaster?ref=hp_rv

Also in my research on the NERF CASSIAN ANDOR Blaster pistol. there is a graphic of 4 troopers. One of the troopers behind the barrel, holds a R1 DH17. On the barrel, there is what appears to be a weapon light of some sort that resembles this.

s-l300.jpg

Here's the package.

Hasbro-Nerf-Star-Wars-Rogue-One-Cassian-Andor.jpg

i think im going to go with the Blaster that is being sold on the ETSY page above and mod it to the correct style.

The Esty one looks to be the one most associated with Return of the Jedi. The Rod was added on the The Empire Strikes Back version as well. Both the The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi version tend to be more of a modification of a sterling.

The A New Hope version tends to be more complicated. While the essence of the A New Hope version is based o the sterling. Most likely they took a cast of a sterling then cut it up a lot, made it into a master, then molded that. In the process, the body appears to have shrunk giving more of a pistol size than that of a rifle size,

As a fan you can either believe that all DH-17 are the same and it is simply a the artistic license of the storyteller that account for visual differences (similar to the way we accept the visual differences of Luke's Return of the Jedi lightsaber). Or... We can speculate that DH-17s have differences over the years they were produced and/or have various add-ons or upgrades in order to serve operation goals.

But enough of that... I am big fan of this weapon too. I personally would like a nice replica of the A New Hope version. Looking forward to seeing a Rogue One creation.

Thank you for you contribution. As I stated im going with the ESTY one and modding it to the top picture of the troopers running. Thus adding the longer silver area and the weapon light.

The ANH version had a shorter part of the receiver remaining in front of the ejection port, compared to the ROTH and ROTJ versions. The R1 version looked more like these longer receiver versions to me. All the non ANH versions had the magazine housing and a short magazine remaining on the left side of the gun. On the ANH DH-17, the magazine housing is missing, an it's place is just an opening where the silvery bolt is visible.

I specifically looked for the funny single dot sight in R1, and I'm fairly certain I saw the see-through front with the red rod, unlike in the ETSY-picture above.

The ANH version had a shorter part of the receiver remaining in front of the ejection port, compared to the ROTH and ROTJ versions. The R1 version looked more like these longer receiver versions to me. All the non ANH versions had the magazine housing and a short magazine remaining on the left side of the gun. On the ANH DH-17, the magazine housing is missing, an it's place is just an opening where the silvery bolt is visible.

I specifically looked for the funny single dot sight in R1, and I'm fairly certain I saw the see-through front with the red rod, unlike in the ETSY-picture above.

I noticed that too about the scope. An easy mod. As long as I have the base blaster.

Some episode IV-VII reference shots:

ANH
The gun as based on a modified cast of a Sterling SMG. Notice it's a tad too small for a full-sized Sterling, and the barrel is slightly bent. The magazine housing is missing, the scope is an original Single Point with clear fore-end and red rod:
Review_RebelFleetTrooperTVC_stillA.JPG

ESB
This is clearly a cast too. This time the scope is cast with the gun as it has a black fore end. The gun is however stretched relative to the ANH version. A section of the receiver in front of the ejector port is preserved. The scope rail has been expanded to a rod and now stretches out over the aluminium fore.end:
billydee.jpg

This gun is (presumably) a screen used ESB gun. Notice the presence of a magazine well and holes in the barrel shroud (Edit: Nope, wrong prop, pic changed):
6888153112_5099000958_b.jpg

ROTJ

This is (presumably) a screen used prop from ROTJ. Notice it is (nope, edited again, picture changed). It is similar to the ESB version in that it also has a magazine well and short magazine as well as a clearly cast scope. The scope rail again overhang the aluminium fore-end (Edit:) The receiver tube in front of the magazine has holes like the Sterling SMG:
ilm_dh17_blaster.jpg

(Edit:) R1
This picture is from Wired Mag's photo lineup of props. IT's clearly a DH-17, if an alternative version. The scope has been switched out with a more modern one and moved forward. Much of the scope rail over the receiver is missing, but the forward extension is prolonged. This one too lacks holes in the barrel shroud. I could not find a pic to see if it has the magazine well:
sw_prop_11-1024x7681-e1448031518659.jpg

Last edited:
Some original trilogy reference shots:

ANH
The gun as based on a modified cast of a Sterling SMG. Notice it's a tad too small for a full-sized Sterling, and the barrel is slightly bent. The magazine housing is missing, the scope is an original Single Point with clear fore-end and red rod:
View attachment 700618

ESB
This is clearly a cast too. This time the scope is cast with the gun as it has a black fore end. The gun is however stretched relative to the ANH version. A section of the receiver in front of the ejector port is preserved. The scope rail has been expanded to a rod and now stretches out over the aluminium fore.end. The lack of holes in the barrel shroud indicate this particular gun may have been modified from an ANH prop:
View attachment 700616

This gun is (presumably) a screen used ESB gun. Notice the presence of a magazine well and holes in the barrel shroud:
View attachment 700628

ROTJ
This is (presumably) a screen used prop from ROTJ. Notice lit is somewhat shorter than the ESB-version, the section of the barrel shroud with holes is missing, possibly bringing it down to ANH length. It is similar to the ESB version in that it also has a magazine well and short magazine as well as a clearly cast scope. The scope rail again overhang the aluminium fore-end:
View attachment 700629

THATS A HUGE HELP. Thanks friend! I suppose its still too early to identify specific traits of the R1 version. Besides the ones mentioned above.

I honestly think you would be better off getting some sort of replica sterling, whether it be a resin cast or an airsoft. Although a lot of the DH-17 parts are similar to OT, they all look different. I think you would be be better off starting from scratch. That is assuming you are trying for some level of accuracy unless your goal is a general hybrid sort of thing.

Also, if you go back to the image above with the rebel running across the beach. Does anyone else think that the weapon looks scaled up in size when compared to a sterling base? Maybe it's just that the add-ons are larger than usual.

I honestly think you would be better off getting some sort of replica sterling, whether it be a resin cast or an airsoft. Although a lot of the DH-17 parts are similar to OT, they all look different. I think you would be be better off starting from scratch. That is assuming you are trying for some level of accuracy unless your goal is a general hybrid sort of thing.

Also, if you go back to the image above with the rebel running across the beach. Does anyone else think that the weapon looks scaled up in size when compared to a sterling base? Maybe it's just that the add-ons are larger than usual.

I at the moment am not very good nor equipped to start from scratch. And funds are limited as always. I intend to go to San Diego Comic-Con and thats a bundle to save up for.

As per your other statement, I did notice it slightly "bulkier" than other DH17 blasters.

Some episode IV-VII reference shots:

ANH
View attachment 700618

ESB
This is clearly a cast too. This time the scope is cast with the gun as it has a black fore end. The gun is however stretched relative to the ANH version. A section of the receiver in front of the ejector port is preserved. The scope rail has been expanded to a rod and now stretches out over the aluminium fore.end. The lack of holes in the barrel shroud indicate this particular gun may have been modified from an ANH prop:
View attachment 700616

This gun is (presumably) a screen used ESB gun. Notice the presence of a magazine well and holes in the barrel shroud:
View attachment 700628

ROTJ
This is (presumably) a screen used prop from ROTJ. Notice lit is somewhat shorter than the ESB-version, the section of the barrel shroud with holes is missing, possibly bringing it down to ANH length. It is similar to the ESB version in that it also has a magazine well and short magazine as well as a clearly cast scope. The scope rail again overhang the aluminium fore-end:
View attachment 700629

TFA
This picture is from Wired Mag's photo lineup of props. IT's clearly a DH-17, if an upgraded version. The scope has been switched out with a more modern one and moved forward. Much of the scope rail over the receiver is missing, but the forward extension is prolonged. This one too lacks holes in the barrel shroud. I could not find a pic to see if it has the magazine well:
View attachment 700651

Thanks for the overview, BUT you have mixed up the references of the ESB vs the ROTJ DH17 ;)

The ESB DH17, that Lando is holding was based on a modified real L2A3, while the ROTJ DH17 was based on a MGC sterling replica.
The ESB does NOT have any vent-holes left, the ROTJ DOES have some before the muzzle starts.

Thanks for the overview, BUT you have mixed up the references of the ESB vs the ROTJ DH17 ;)

The ESB DH17, that Lando is holding was based on a modified real L2A3, while the ROTJ DH17 was based on a MGC sterling replica.
The ESB does NOT have any vent-holes left, the ROTJ DOES have some before the muzzle starts.

Thanks a million!

Someone need to make a comprehensive website dedicated to these props, with proper nomenclature, screenshots etc.

if you go back to the image above with the rebel running across the beach. Does anyone else think that the weapon looks scaled up in size when compared to a sterling base?

That is my impression too.

The only screen-shot I could find of teh DH-17 from Rogue One indicate they are the same model as in TFA:

Rogue One blaster.jpg

Last edited:
Another version of the DH-17 from Rogue One!

This promo-shot of (possibly) Saw Gerrera's rebels from Jedha, shows the righ rebel holding what is fairly obviously a small (ANH sized?) DH-17. It lacks the scope and appears to have a functional cocking handle, but there's no mistaking the tubular scope rail and ribbed front end:

View attachment 701103

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back