The Toys That Made Us (Netflix)

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
New 8-episode Netflix documentary series called The Toys That Made Us about the history of important toy lines:

https://www.facebook.com/thetoysthatmadeus/

15994856_228583117601075_6492749121557627476_o.jpg

The logo has 80's written all over it, and from the facebook page it looks as if there's some possible LEGO love as well - certainly one to check out!

More and more I'm glad I haven't canceled my membership to Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Episodes are up!

Watched the first one so far and overall enjoying it. Mostly for the information, though, and less so for the direction/production style. A bit too clever/cute for my taste. Still recommend.

First one was about Kenner Star Wars, and there were goofs here and there in the b-roll selection: photos from a later period than what's being discussed, or showing Elstree set blueprints when discussing Kenner toy design schematics. They also completely breezed over POTF2, making the uninformed think there were no toys between ROTJ and TPM.

I watched the 1st and third episodes, really enjoying seeing how all these toylines came to be. I'm not sure how many can really be made but I hope to see as many of my favorite lines as possible.

I'm a little disappointed there were only four episodes. It's well done and entertaining. I found it odd that they did an entire episode just on Masters of the Universe. To me it seemed a bit of a waste when there are SO many other toy lines with much better stories that impacted our culture much more. Right off the top, I was surprised to see that they didn't do a show on Mego!

I'm a little disappointed there were only four episodes. It's well done and entertaining. I found it odd that they did an entire episode just on Masters of the Universe. To me it seemed a bit of a waste when there are SO many other toy lines with much better stories that impacted our culture much more. Right off the top, I was surprised to see that they didn't do a show on Mego!

Right? The Star Trek, DC and Planet of the Apes lines were huuuuuge when I was a kid.
My father was a kid in the Davy Crockett era and nothing like it had even been seen in the licensing arena. Much like Star Wars today, Davy Crockett was on everything.

They are making 8 total. I can't imagine them not covering Lego, but the rest could be just about any other toy line that was popular at any time.

I really enjoyed the first four. I can't believe the He Man creators are so candid about making **** up as they went along in hopes that kids would fall for it.

I watched four of them the other day. I enjoyed them. Star Wars story had been told multiple times. I was surprised on the GI Joe relaunch. I did not know a lot of that story. I expected to see Transformers and Lego as well, but no dice. However, if you want a good Lego story, A Lego Brickumentary is very good.

Did they only end up making 4? Initially, it was supposed to be 8. Even the theme song still says 8. What happened to the other 4 I wonder?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back