The Toys That Made Us (Netflix)

I like some of this history but I believe they are done with the show, unless they change the intro song. It clearly states "8-part series..." It looks like they would make more depending on how the seasons are received.
I like the sub history, like the Mego stories for the Star Trek episode.

I believe they took some designers/writers and interviewed them as "Industry Professionals" when not all of them have been at these companies just to get sound bites they can reuse.

I like some of this history but I believe they are done with the show, unless they change the intro song. It clearly states "8-part series..."

They are not done yet. I believe they’ve already said they are getting renewed for another season. That opening was created when they only had 8 episodes in the plan with the expectation that it wouldn’t be renewed. But plans change, I’m sure as the new seasons continue, the tithe song will change to a more genetic version.

I found the jibes and constant Star Wars comparissons annoying and unnecessary, the Star Wars episode didn't have Star Trek references constantly thrown in - clearly the shows producers have a bias towards Star Wars.
The fact that there were poor licensing decisions made during the 70s and 80s is evident in the poor quality of the early merchandise but this didn't have to form the bulk of the episode, with Playmates and AA/DST getting shoehorned into two minutes and jamming the MacFarlane toys at the end.

There were Star Trek collectors added in as talking heads without showing their collections and what these toys and props mean to the fans. Why were they included? Why take the time to talk to people about their collections and now show them? What a wasted opportunity to possibly see some rare Star Trek merchandise.

The sculptor from AA/DST was the highlight, if the documentary had more interviews with people of that calibre with interesting insight into the design and manufacture of the toys we all loved, I think it would have made for a much more insightful and interesting episode.

I was really looking forward to the Star Trek special but found it to be a huge let down after the more insightful Star Wars episode that opened the series and I'm not a Star Wars fan.

I have to say this Star Trek episode of The Toys That Made Us was a HUGE let down, I hope the producers go back and make a second episode that isn't so critical and actually discusses the toys without a negative bias and also without feeling like they have to make reference to Star Wars, no disrespect to the Star Wars franchise but they had their own special episode.

One of the best documentary on Netflix, absolutely love Donald Ian Black narrating! Absolutely brilliant!!
Donald Ian Black
Donald Ian Black

I found the Star Trek episode disappointing and that was the episode I was most excited to see.
They just focused too much on the junk toys that had the most tenuous link to Star Trek. No mention of the fantastic Art Asylum/Diamond Select range of figures, Trek Tech and ships, no mention of the Starships collection of models etc.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back