The Toys That Made Us (Netflix)

Moving my other post to this thread, I missed it in my search.

I read a great thread on Star Wars toys "Star Wars is dead, toys aren't selling".

Netflix has an amazing series out now about the big ones, SW, Barbie, HeMan... SO awesome . I don't like Barbie dolls but WOW what a story. Barbie was a Post WW2 hooker? , Star Wars toys? The drama...the mistakes, the risks...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7053920/

I am a minor collector. I see things that my inner child wants but I don't need. I have 4 nephews 3, 4.5, 4.5, and 6. They all love Star Wars but don't really know how to play with toys; except light sabers. They love hitting things and each other more than anything

There is a reason the stock market will always go up; people have to invest and the money has to go somewhere. Toys are the same thing. Parents and grandparents have to buy toys. X-mas, birthdays.

What was fascinating about the netflix special was that nobody ever made toys for a movie. Movies didn't last that long. SW was the first and none of the bit toy makers would bite.

Enjoy. Sorry if double post.

Today is the day! Season 2 (as Netflix is calling it, but we should technically call it the second half of season 1) has officially released on Netflix!

As a LEGO nerd intimately familiar with TLG/TLC's history I'd say this is pretty spot on AND very funny to boot!

The company was close to go belly up several times during the last 25 years, but I'm glad it's still on private hands and going on strong (allthough I foresee another downturn in the next coming years, but much smaller and not devastating to the company)

Cheers,

Ole

Just watched the Star Trek episode which was pretty good. I had some of the Mego figures and Enterprise play set as a kid, so it was fun to hear about those. Also cool to see Doug Drexler with his Nautilus model in the background (made by RPF member Steve Neill, if I'm not mistaken).

Just watched the Star Trek episode which was pretty good. I had some of the Mego figures and Enterprise play set as a kid, so it was fun to hear about those. Also cool to see Doug Drexler with his Nautilus model in the background (made by RPF member Steve Neill, if I'm not mistaken).

And even cooler was to see @phase_pistol in there! Yay, Karl, I got to yell "I (kind of) know that guy!" to my gf. And got that "yeah, get a life" look...

Glad to see it back, although I'm not too pleased with things they do with the editing to make the people interviewed look silly. There is a tinge of meanness to their whimsical production approach.

Glad to see it back, although I'm not too pleased with things they do with the editing to make the people interviewed look silly. There is a tinge of meanness to their whimsical production approach.

Yeah, they definitely cut it to make Marty Abrams of Mego look a little buffoonish. Although, I loved his line when asked how he felt about losing the Star Wars license:

"You want me to go back and examine my feelings 40 years later? You got a rope?"

That must have been a decision that haunted him for a long time!

Last edited:
They were a little mean to the collectors, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Since they had Marty I hope they also talked to him about Micronauts for a future episode. There really should be an all-Mego episode.

Watched the Star Trek episode and while it was great to see PhasePistol the rest of the episode was rather frustrating as it was just as unfocused as the episode's topic. There was a lot of inaccurate/incomplete information about product and series timelines as well as a few good products that were overlooked so they could concentrate on the "wacky" re-labelled quick-buck products. I hope that the remaining episodes live up to the quality of the first Season as this one was a stinker.
Treadwell -- Yes! They need to do a Mego episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
There really should be an all-Mego episode.

They need to do a Mego episode!

It seems like they don’t have that planned as mentioned months ago...
Listening to some podcasts last night where they interviewed the creator of the show, he stated that Megos will be combined into a "Superheros Toys" show with other lines, like Super Powers toys. He also said that he doesn't think Voltron will be its own show either, and that he might want to combine that with other properties.

So even if they don’t do a full episode on Mego, I assume it will pop back up for other episodes (like Superhero toys).

Watched the Star Trek episode and while it was great to see PhasePistol the rest of the episode was rather frustrating as it was just as unfocused as the episode's topic. There was a lot of inaccurate/incomplete information about product and series timelines as well as a few good products that were overlooked so they could concentrate on the "wacky" re-labelled quick-buck products. I hope that the remaining episodes live up to the quality of the first Season as this one was a stinker.
@Treadwell -- Yes! They need to do a Mego episode!

It did miss information on one of my favourite Star Trek toys, the DINKY Enterprise and Klingon Cruiser. Those were IIRC absolute TOP sellers. Or were those only released in Europe?

It did miss information on one of my favourite Star Trek toys, the DINKY Enterprise and Klingon Cruiser. Those were IIRC absolute TOP sellers. Or were those only released in Europe?

Exactly! The Dinky toys were released here in the US -- I still have the Starship Enterprise I got for Christmas in 1976. And as much as they ragged on Remco for their lazy label slapping in the 1960's the only one of Remco's Star Trek toys from the 1970's they even mentioned was the Space Flight Enterprise -- and I don't think they said it was made by Remco -- not touching on the Utility Belt or the variety of Phasers they made (though they did flash images of a few of them on screen at the end of the episode).

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back