My R2D2 build thread...

Can't work out how to spell out a wolf whistle but he sure got some sexy legs....

20171012_114415.jpg

OK, I missed my Friday deadline for build completion due to unforeseen circumstances (mainly my autistic son decided it was too cold to play the hose pipe in the garden.... so he brought it in the front room instead drowning the new TV and coming the chairs and carpet! Oh how we laughed:angry). So as a consequence of Fridays. ............. activities I will now add a few more features to R2 before completion. Still shouldn't be more than a month as it'll just be a few gadgets to bring him a little more to life (like a cattle prod to heard unruly children).

So here is the current progress...

Feet done
20171019_113434.jpg

Legs done diddly
20171019_111621.jpg

Dome done diddly do
20171019_113142.jpg

Frame and skins done
20171019_112957.jpg

Foot drives are done with the electronics all mounted to a clear piece of polycarbonate for mounting g behind the rear hatch on the body
20171019_112936.jpg

So that's where he sits. I could assemble him in a day from where he is now but as I say i'll add a few things first..... barring anymore.... how shall I put it....

​INCIDENTS!!!!

Man, he's looking great! I've wanted to do an R2 for quite a while now, but it always seems like a daunting project. Hat's off to you!

Got a new table to work on R2. Its perfect for sitting him on and wheeling around him in my chair....

20180223_120239.jpg

Also got some good looking screws to hold on the skins that arent just boring old philips heads.

20180223_114338.jpg

A little more wiring and he'll be a fully armed and operational Astromech Droid!

That should be the last time skins need to go on until modular upgrades get installed in the future. Just some wiring to do now and he should be a fully armed and operational astromech..... oh wait ive said that already. He'll be ready soon.

20180315_120609.jpg

Sooooo, he's finally ready if a little speedy. Easily rectified or he's ready to go up against Bolt in 100 metres.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back