Rick Grimes screen accurate costume

Camturner26

In no particular order what so ever, I'll be posting screen accurate items worn by Rick Grimes in AMC's The Walking Dead.
these are items that have been identified, and some more obscure details that you may have missed.

The Ralph Lauren Indigo Plaid Denim Work Shirt
s-l300.jpg
$_12 (1).jpg
$_12 (2).jpg
$_12.jpg

First worn in the opening scenes of season 6, episode 1. Worn briefly in the flash back scenes.
Rick_Grimes_Season_6.jpg
This shirt was then later worn in full, in season 7 episode 4, when Negan first visits Alexandria
the-walking-dead-episode-704-rick-lincoln-2-935.jpg

The shirt pictured includes a double pocket and a dark blue button. The screen accurate shirt has only a single pocket and cream buttons, this shirt does exist, I'll post pictures later.

The Salt Valley High Point Western Shirt
17866f14e796dc6a107f08e30481facd.jpeg
Rick wore this shirt during the days at the prison during season 3. The shirt was worn most notably worn during the Woodbury heist on the groups mission to rescue Glenn and Maggie.
OB-VN675_walkin_G_20121202163847.jpg
The shirt can also be scene in flash backs during the season 4 final.
The shirt was darkened several shades and overall distressed. the small SV logo was also removed from the breast pocket.
download (1).jpg

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 2,981
Last edited:
I don't know if Rick's tan western shirt was ever properly identified, I think I heard somewhere that it was a Ryan Michael shirt. Iv'e also heard it's from Wrangler, but personally the Levi's shirt looks the most promising.

rick_grimes_article_image_5.jpgrick_grimes_cover-1020x560.jpg

The Ryan Michael shirt
images.jpg

The Levi's

11071233-1734285247829765.jpg

rick_grimes_article_image_5.jpg

rick_grimes_cover-1020x560.jpg

images.jpg

11071233-1734285247829765.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The infamous orange plaid shirt worn by Rick during his final confrontation by the Governor, Season 4 episode 8, Too Far Gone, still remains unidentified
Rick-and-Carl-Too-Far-Gone-620x400.jpgimage.jpg
The shirt, much like his others, is a long sleeve, snap button shirt, which in term of design, resembles the Salt Valley shirt, so perhaps it is?
The search continues...

Last edited:
Hey there! great posts, thought i would just say that the blue shirt you first posted about is similar but not right as you mentioned the one in the pictures has 2 pockets and the buttons on it is wrong, it can be found here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RRL-Mens-L-...422036?hash=item2a6794a814:g:mEcAAOSwubRXMjfg I thought i would also mention that i actually own the screen accurate shirt with the correct buttons and only one pocket, except from that it is the same one. Il add a photo of it, sorry for the quality. I can take more pictures of it if anyone wants them:) therpf.jpgrpf.png

Last edited:
Hey there! great posts, thought i would that the blue shirt you first posted about is similar but not right as you mentioned the one in the pictures has 2 pockets and the buttons on it is wrong, it can be found here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RRL-Mens-L-...422036?hash=item2a6794a814:g:mEcAAOSwubRXMjfg I thought i would also mention that i actually own the screen accurate shirt with the correct buttons and only one pocket. Il add a photo of it, sorry for the quality. I can take more pictures of it if anyone wants them:) View attachment 765436View attachment 765437

This is great stuff, i regret not buying this when it was listed, more pictures would be great!!

The Ralph Lauren Denim Supply Western Shirt was worn throughout the later half of season 7 and from it looks like will be sported in season 8.

twd_716_gp_1115_0019-rt.jpgWalking-Dead-Season-7-Finale-RIck-Negan-1014x570.jpg
Pictures from the season 7 final,
ralph-lauren-denim-supply-denim-western-shirt-original-347090.jpg
And the actual shirt. Notice the logo on the pocket on the shirt, and the darker patch on Rick's. The logo was removed and the whole shirt was distressed, taking out some of the blue tones. The buttons are also black snap.

Last edited:
Thanks to Just A Dead Man, for properly identifying the Rick's season 7 denim shirt. As suspected the shirt is still from Ralph Lauren but was sold by Macy's.
This shirt looks a lot more accurate in terms of colour and design, it also has the logo on the left pocket and black stud buttons,
2427631_fpx.jpg
This shirt is out of production but can be viewed here
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/denim-supply-ralph-lauren-denim-western-shirt?ID=1666028
2427631_fpx.jpgTWD_707_GP_0720_0010-RT.jpg
Notice the similarities in the design and shape of the pockets.
Thanks again to Just A Dead Man1

Attachments

• TWD_707_GP_0720_0010-RT.jpg
    TWD_707_GP_0720_0010-RT.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 14,126
Last edited:
Any idea how to track down the proper version of the blue plaid shirt? They still make the two pocket version, which switching the buttons out would be easy enough but you’d still have two pockets

Has anyone found any of the clothing that Rick has worn in season 8?
The Gray/Dark shirt that Rick also use in season 7 is by Levis. I know there is a really high res picture of it and you can see a little piece of something red on the pocket, just where the Levis tag is on their shirts. As of typing this i actually found the picture i was talking about. So i'm 90% sure that it is a Levis western shirt Levis shirt.jpgSmall red tab.png

Been trying to get something similar to this one for awhile. I have a black one, but I don't know that even after years of washing and wearing, it would fade as light as this shirt. And you'd have to either paint (seen this successfully done with black nail enamel, and clear coat) or replace the snaps for black ones.

Been trying to get something similar to this one for awhile. I have a black one, but I don't know that even after years of washing and wearing, it would fade as light as this shirt. And you'd have to either paint (seen this successfully done with black nail enamel, and clear coat) or replace the snaps for black ones.
I'm thinking it looks like barstow shirt from Levis. Either a black one that is distressed or a gray/dark one.Rd shir.jpgrdr shirt.jpg

I'm thinking it looks like barstow shirt from Levis. Either a black one that is distressed or a gray/dark one.View attachment 776956View attachment 776957
'
It definitely is a Barstow shirt. With how even the color is on Rick's shirt though, i'm thinking its just a black one thats been faded manually. Not sure the best way to do this and get a nice even color without just wearing and washing the thing religiously. It looks like a splotchy distress on the show because of all the dirt and sweat, but you can also tell the color is pretty uniform.

'
It definitely is a Barstow shirt. With how even the color is on Rick's shirt though, i'm thinking its just a black one thats been faded manually. Not sure the best way to do this and get a nice even color without just wearing and washing the thing religiously. It looks like a splotchy distress on the show because of all the dirt and sweat, but you can also tell the color is pretty uniform.
Yeah, looking at the red tab on the levis and the one in the show they match up quite right.

Yeah, looking at the red tab on the levis and the one in the show they match up quite right.

Its the pocket shape that does it for me. Western shirts all sort of look the same, but Levi's barstow's have a really signature shape. That with the Red tab, and I think we have a winner on the Black shirt.

Side note. The jeans Rick has from what I can tell Levi's 514's, but not the newest rendition of them. You'll have to find black stretch 514's from around the time season 1-2 was airing to get the fit and material accurate to Rick's. Theres a picture floating around somewhere of when those jeans were fresh black, and the Levi tab was still on them. I believe its from when they were around the highway with the RV.

Its the pocket shape that does it for me. Western shirts all sort of look the same, but Levi's barstow's have a really signature shape. That with the Red tab, and I think we have a winner on the Black shirt.

Side note. The jeans Rick has from what I can tell Levi's 514's, but not the newest rendition of them. You'll have to find black stretch 514's from around the time season 1-2 was airing to get the fit and material accurate to Rick's. Theres a picture floating around somewhere of when those jeans were fresh black, and the Levi tab was still on them. I believe its from when they were around the highway with the RV.

I know the picture you are talking about and they are on the highway. Do you know what colour the Levi Label is on the back of the jeans near the waist? As some Levi 514's have the brown label, and also a black label. At this point I'm thinking that they removed it from the jeans that Andrew wears on the show, as I've never been able to see it.

I'd love to get a proper ID on the jeans as we've never really gotten one.

TWD_201_0607_0094.jpg
I know the picture you are talking about and they are on the highway? Do you know what colour the Levi Label is on the back of the jeans near the waist? As some Levi 514's have the brown label, and also a black label. At this point I'm thinking that they removed it from the jeans that Andrew wears on the show, as I've never been able to see it.

I'd love to get a proper ID on the jeans as we've never really gotten one.
*edited to add photo in question*

Im like 99% certain they're 514's from that era. 99% Cotton 1% Elastane stretch, this gives the proper vertical "striping" you can see on Andy's. The patch was most likely removed to prevent any trademark issues, but keep in mind he's constantly wearing that duty belt, so I don't know you'd ever really be able to see it anyways.

I can upload pics of my black 514's compared with the new ones if you like. It was pretty easy to find the right jeans using pictures and comparing fits, as I'm 5'10" around 155 lbs, so if it was even close to fitting similar to Rick's I knew I was close.

The new 514's are far too baggy in the crotch and thighs, and the 513's look too tight at the ankle. 501's are about the right cut, but they don't make them in a zip fly or stretch denim, so I dug around to find a similar fit to 501's. Turns out the 514's were actually supposed to mimic the 501's with a zip fly, and being marketed and "slim straight" where now they're just labeled as being straight. If you try to find them on google you'll get 511's as the result, and those are WAY to skinny to be right.

So far I've been through three pairs of 514's from different years, with different denim mixes, and I already owned a pair of 511's to reference. Im pretty confident I've got *the* jeans found.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back