All of my stuff was initially printed on 8.5"x11", including the visor. If it doesn't fit on that paper size, let alone something larger, I think something may be wrong. And I have a fairly average-sized head. That said, I do recommend doing the visor and front and back flaps and their facings (and interfacings) as half patterns cut on the fold to ensure symmetry.--Jonah
This is what I was recommending. Even a half pattern would work because symmetry is key with this hat lol.

I do the top on the fold, too. Heck, could even do the crown risers that way, as well,, but I find it better to just make that pattern piece symmetrical, and then cut two, so they're properly mirrored, left to right. I went back and checked, though, and my visor pattern probably fit on the paper because the pieces don't have the seam allowance added. I did that myself after tweaking them to fit my measurements.--Jonah

Last edited:
All of my stuff was initially printed on 8.5"x11", including the visor. If it doesn't fit on that paper size, let alone something larger, I think something may be wrong. And I have a fairly average-sized head. That said, I do recommend doing the visor and front and back flaps and their facings (and interfacings) as half patterns cut on the fold to ensure symmetry.--Jonah

So the best option is to use a photoshop program, cutting them out and then to cut them in half?

(Sorry about the pattern-I didn't know that this pattern is a mess......Just saw it and thought that it would be awesome to share and to help others creating their own hats :( )

By the way-Next update is coming on Wednesday :) (I was currently too busy to work on my hat)

What is missing: - visor(with heavyweight stabilizer
- Lining to make the hat more comfortable and to stabilize him (I have forgotten to buy some linging fabric^^)
Finish: -Everything besides visor and the linging fabric

Edit: For the flaps, a heavyweight stabilizer isn't necessary (They are stable enough)

- - - Updated - - -

IU've used that pattern before. It worked great (once modified to use bias tape). Did have to use legal size paper.

Ah ok-Cool :)

I think, I'm too dumb to use this pattern(I also printed it out to check the size and to work on this problem)

Update:

Sorry about the missing update...I was in hospital and unable to work on my project :( Nevertheless I have to do it again because of two small ewoks...Joke...My two cats used the half finished cap as a toy...My fault-I have forgotten to put it to a save place :( (Still unable to find one flap^^)

So-Let's do it again :facepalm

If that's the same pattern I looked at then it's supposed to be printed on Legal size paper, which is 8.5"x14". You won't be able to scale it to fit on anything smaller, you'd have to chop it up in Photoshop and then print.

I found a few people selling the aluminum disc, but I can't make a suggestion since I don't know who specifically will ship to your country. Try your favorite flavor of eBay though.

Yes, it's not an overly complicated hat but it's pretty hard to find a good one for sale. Anything cheaper than Anovos all uses the same picture, so is a $10 the same as a $40 one? I'm sure the Anovos one is nice, but years-long wait time nice? So I'll probably tackle it at some point myself.

-Rog
Disney sells one in both black and OD inside Disneyland that look, to me, reasonably accurate. I think they sell them for $15 but I don't know if they sell them outside of the park anywhere like Disney Stores or Downtown Disney though.

Disney sells one in both black and OD inside Disneyland that look, to me, reasonably accurate. I think they sell them for $15 but I don't know if they sell them outside of the park anywhere like Disney Stores or Downtown Disney though.

Sure enough, it's on their website. It may or may not be very accurate, but at least you know what you're getting, unlike eBay or Amazon. Might get one, just to wear.

-Rog

Not to turn this into a dumping ground, but since some of this has already been discussed I thought I would post it here.

First, a great video I ran across about correcting the Chinese ones:

And here are some candid shots of the Disney one, which looks okay, but maybe not much better:

ZYX5MvD.jpg

6yiDVTk.jpg

NCbSWZh.jpg

The ones in the movies just seem...stiffer? Like a really good quality fitted baseball cap. So that's definitely something to pay attention to when making your own.

-Rog

Attachments

• 6yiDVTk.jpg
    6yiDVTk.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 74
  • ZYX5MvD.jpg
    ZYX5MvD.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 84
  • NCbSWZh.jpg
    NCbSWZh.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Not to turn this into a dumping ground, but since some of this has already been discussed I thought I would post it here.

First, a great video I ran across about correcting the Chinese ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZXwin0e-Fo

And here are some candid shots of the Disney one, which looks okay, but maybe not much better:

http://i.imgur.com/ZYX5MvD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6yiDVTk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NCbSWZh.jpg

The ones in the movies just seem...stiffer? Like a really good quality fitted baseball cap. So that's definitely something to pay attention to when making your own.

-Rog
ROG is basically saying STARCH IT TILL IT STANDS UP ON ITS OWN. At least.... That's what I got. ....

Anyone;)?

Yeah, starch that sucker. Or if you make your own, definitely add some stiffening.

Well, I got my hat (from Hong Kong) and I have to say it honestly looks better quality than the Disney one, although I like the Disney lining better.

Just to add to the alteration video since it's maybe not quite clear enough...

This is roughly how much of the seam you need to open up to get the ends of the flaps free (taking a picture of something black sucks):

oeayz8T.jpg

And then you pull the corner of each flap further through the seam until the flaps have no more wrinkles or poochiness:

3KpHuZS.jpg

The hardest part is making sure everything is lined up and also that the final edge will be straight. You'll be sewing through the lining, crown, both flaps, and band. I elected to sew by hand, since I saw only disaster by trying to keep everything sandwiched to run through the machine. By hand you can adjust as you go. I used binder clips to help hold everything.

AFTER you sew and are happy with the look, that's when you trim the extra flap material. If you do it before, you'll have no leeway if you screw up and it's harder to hold them tight.

That's pretty much it. Other than no bias tape along the edges this seems a pretty decent cap.

-Rog

Hi everyone!!!

Sorry for the lack of updates......I was unable to work on the cap because of several time consuming situations like university, family, traveling and so on:unsure
But I had some easter holidays and was finally able to work on the cap again! :) As mentioned above, my cats killed the first cap so I had to it again and here is my progress:
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
The almost finished visor-Next step:Top stitch through the two layers to keep the shape(pic1)
The "body" was really painful to sew:unsureNext step: I need to do this again for the lining...I bought black lining fabric :) (pic2)
One flap and the visor (pic3)
All parts together (pic4)

Today's to do: Finish the visor :)
Updates are coming as soon as possible :thumbsup

@Rogviler-Awesome work :)

By the way-Yeah I thought the same about the cap's stiffines...I hope that the stabilization in the flaps/ crown fabric/visor is stiff enough to insure a good shape...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back