Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
    From
    Germany
    Feb 28, 2017, 2:02 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #51

Great Build so far

The Steampunk Look is awesome 👍🏻
    Mar 1, 2017, 9:27 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #52

OK, lots of fiddly steps to go before I can put the ear pieces together and onto the helmet. Otherwise I'd be showing it off right now because that's nearly the last step for the helmet!

So I started on the boot gaiters in earnest. My little trashcan halves should be a good basis.

Referring to some quick sketches of MM's feet to keep the flare and the rocket exhaust in mind...

I made this simple version based on my existing plan - it's not as flared and I don't get the HUGE FEET phenomenon, but I think it'll overall look better for the style.

Then I embellished that some:

And I went out and modeled the rocket-pod part in Tinkercad, which is printing as we speak:

Still need to decide what the little "dynamo" or generator piece on the other side should look like. Don't want to make anything on the inboard side of my leg too big or fiddly, in case I accidentally smash them together while I'm walking or something.
    From
    LV-426
    Mar 1, 2017, 12:16 PM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #53

wow! great build so far, love it! can't wait to see more!
    Mar 2, 2017, 6:57 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #54

Jump rockets are finished printing - over 24 hours, wow. They are a little smaller than I'd have liked, but we'll see how they do. I can always print them again larger if I have to.

Printed with the flat sides together so it almost looks like one fat rocket, lol.

Mar 6, 2017, 12:13 PM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #55

As my helmet inches toward completion...

I found this awesome 250 amp fuse at the auto parts store. Hey, it says MEGA right on it, so I had to grab it and put it somewhere prominent!

I also added some trim around the mohawk, as you can see in the above and the following photo: just a little strip of "rivets" where the 'hawk pieces attach to the bucket. There was also a gap in the middle between the front and back segments of the strips (print size limitation) so I found a couple little bits of metal and dusted them with rust-colored paint before screwing them on to cover the gaps.

And the ear dishes are finally complete themselves at least - with red-tinted white LEDs in place and all the pieces-parts glued together. The wire coming from the LED has some heat shrink on it which prevents it from lying flat, so I'll have to drill into the helmet to get the dishes to butt up against the sides like they did without the wire in place. That's okay, though, I needed to run the wire somewhere anyways.

Bonus, here is the gauntlet with the base paints almost finished, and a couple gears popped into the round sockets. Sloppy for now; need finer brushes to finish the edges of each surface all nice and such.

Mar 7, 2017, 9:44 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #56

Quickie update: 2nd 3D printer is in the house; will be able to print in ABS now (can be smoothed more easily) and can do larger print volumes. Think I'll upsize the jump rockets for my boots, once I get it all set up and test prints out of the way and such.
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Mar 9, 2017, 2:36 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #57

Awesome work man, subscribed!
    Mar 9, 2017, 10:09 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #58

Something to check out if you're using ABS is acryl-green spot putty for smoothing. It chemically adheres to abs which makes it a better solution then bondo spot putty. It's available on amazon. I love that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mar 9, 2017, 10:17 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #59

MemorY said: View Post
    Something to check out if you're using ABS is acryl-green spot putty for smoothing. It chemically adheres to abs which makes it a better solution then bondo spot putty. It's available on amazon. I love that stuff.

Oh that's great to know, thanks! I still have to get my ABS printer calibrated and working well - test prints have been hit and miss - but between that stuff and acetone vapor, these things should finish up very nicely.

Considering I have given myself a way more generous deadline on this, I am actually considering reprinting a few pieces in ABS for the ease of smoothing. Like the gauntlet; it'd look way better were the large arcs more smooth.
    Mar 9, 2017, 10:33 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #60

PrimoOptimoso said: View Post
    Oh that's great to know, thanks! I still have to get my ABS printer calibrated and working well - test prints have been hit and miss - but between that stuff and acetone vapor, these things should finish up very nicely.

Considering I have given myself a way more generous deadline on this, I am actually considering reprinting a few pieces in ABS for the ease of smoothing. Like the gauntlet; it'd look way better were the large arcs more smooth.
    Ya. It's awesome stuff. In my experience it does work on PLA as well, just have it primed with a filler primer.

Something else that you can do when using acetone is use a sponge brush to "paint" on the acetone in coats. It gives you a bit more control.

Mar 11, 2017, 3:46 PM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #61

UGH. I am having a hell of a time with this this weekend.

- Bigger boot rockets failed twice during printing. I am confident it'd be fine once the printer gets past the bottom 20% of the design, but I did put a lot of fiddly bits in there. Perseverance is needed. MMMMaaayyyyybe a slight redesign?

- This barrel is driving me insane. I finally mounted the gatling assembly to the front - getting the whole thing seated on the motor shaft took a long time tapping with a hammer - and the damn thing (the motor itself, it turns out) is crooked. I should not have trusted that the endcap of the barrel would be perfectly planed and level. So now I have to keep unscrewing the motor mount and trying to shim it from every angle to both make it level and not bind in the hole. FFFFUUUUUU.....

- I still haven't finished the helmet because I have to drill the sides to accommodate the LEDs and I haven't figured out the EXACT drill spots yet.

I have to say, as much as I have always loved building things from existing objects, I am sorely tempted to literally model and 3d print the helmet and buster in their entireties. At the very least I wouldn't have to cut, drill or sand anything tougher than plastic.
    Mar 11, 2017, 6:46 PM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #62

I will share a couple new photos though...

A view of the Buster from the underside (well, the side that will be facing "inward" when it's on my arm), where you can see the door's hinge and the clasp I just added today to secure it closed. Also, the smaller set of barrels in place. Still haven't fully leveled the motor and screwed it down yet. At the very least I'm seriously considering printing a new endcap for the barrel to make that a little less stressful.

Closer on the clasp and hinge individually... The hinge is mounted atop two little round "pucks" i had almost discarded, leftovers from another print. I just painted them up and sent the hinge screws through them into the wood; they hold up fine and made the hinge alignment work on this round surface.

Open Sesame... (battery is just hanging around from testing the motor)

And staring down the business end, I noticed that I totally accidentally made the power lights, hinge and clasp pretty much perfectly spaced around the perimeter of the thing! My mathematical brain bits, everybody.

(the oblique angle visible is just the camera position, it's not the aforementioned leveling problem showing; that's harder to see from the front)
    Apr 6, 2017, 10:15 AM - Re: Steampunk Mega Man! #63

Holy crap, it's been 3 weeks with no updates! Sorry about that. I made small progress but then hit big snags.

Good: I had the red LEDs for the ear dishes redone by a professional - my original setup was too janky.

Bad: I'm having a serious problem mounting the ear dishes to the helmet sides. Even though I've reprinted the "gear" surrounds a couple times, i just can't seem to match the curvature of the helmet well enough to make it sit nicely against the surface. AAAAAAAAA! I also had to carve out some material from the helmet sides so the ear dish centers fit in (the LED wiring was pushing them way out from the surface).

So I'm suddenly discouraged, between the helmet sides and the motor mount problem on the gun. Dammit.