CUSTOM MILITARY STYLE (Sort of) CAPTAIN AMERICA BUILD (PIC HEAVY)

Thorlief Golmen

Hey Guys,

Ive done a few attempts at costume with some success and some failure but its all alearning curve, and with each costume attempt Ive learned so much.

Being a member of this site has also grestly improved the costume Ive made as there is so much resource to look over here, its a one stop shop.

Anyway Ive always wanted a Captain America shield to add to my collection of weapons and comic book paraphernalia, but just didnt have the money to buy a decent one...well that was before Hasbro released their legends Shield, ok its not metal but at £120 who could argue...

I still umed and ah'd about it for a while but then I saw in my Amazon basket Amazon had dropped the price to £65 (well how could i resist!!!!) I managed to get the last one and well I can say that it is a phenomenal shield for the cost...was I tempted to repaint it, yes but you know its actually that good I dont need to...

Thusly armed I thought...well I cant have the shield and not the costume...so I put my brain into action and thought of the best way to go about this...

Alot of people do the movie builds, but considering how much source material there is to pull from I decided to go for a custom look that pulls elements from all the different costumes he has had both comic and movie while also obtaining a more realistic military look...

So please follow and comment as the build goes along, granted I already have purchased alot of the items I need...

I hope you like, below are images of my inspiration and once the build part is done I will put the whole costume together (I'm going into alot of detail with this, using military pins for the US, Captain military badges and dog tags so hopefully it will come off well)

:)

22c61fbbe0c238d38795d0ddeb4eec22.jpgcap costume marvel now.pngCaptainAmerica01.jpgchris-evans-captain-america-avengers-08162011-19-682x823.jpgtOmkI.jpgimage001 (1).jpgimage001.jpg

As stated above I have already purchased alot of the items I need...next phase it to get my ass to the gym, lose weight train...build my muscles and build the torso armor and should pads, gauntlets and boots...

Below are images of what I have already purchased:

41Iqk2V-MoL.jpg44319a.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpgs-l500 (1).jpgs-l500 (2).jpgs-l500 (3).jpgs-l500.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600.jpg

And below is what I intend to make, the gauntlets and boots will match the belt and boots rather than being red and im just making the tops of the boots to go over the ones I have already purchased, as I quite like the first image concept from the Avengers that in my opinion they should have used:

8afc8fc1e472b61b6c60de33c01d2fad.jpgimage001 (2).jpgimage001 (3).jpg

I do plan on working out a system to allow me to mount the shield on my back, I will also have a gun holster and M16 Rifle to add to the more Military look...

So please sound of below...all comments welcome :)

Last edited:
Good going fellow Cap, I look forward to your progress.
Sadly, you probably won't get much attention in this thread, seeing how most people are only interested in movie accurate Captain America these days, but don't let that discourage you...it wouldn't stop the Captain.
64c77e5181605cb006d96884e09be1af.jpg

As you can see by my picture, I like the way you're thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still planning on adding kneepads and weathering it up a bit more. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/7e36bd379b57cf5bc54a17d14f4f6992.jpg
If you need any help, just let me know. [emoji4]

Thanks man...that suit looks awesome...you beat me to the punch lol

Its the exact sort of look im going for...its sad people only care about the movies...there such a large library out there to make...all I see is the same stuff on here (YAWN!!!)

You know it would really help me if you had a link to templates for the torso armor and shoulder pads if you used one, or if you made them yourself do you have any templates?

Ive looked everywhere and cant find any...

I bought my armor through a guy that a lot of people have had trouble with, ( my transaction went smoothly) so I'm not going to link to him, but the armor you have pictured is made by Malmey studios. Google them and I'll bet you can get one of theirs.

I bought my armor through a guy that a lot of people have had trouble with, ( my transaction went smoothly) so I'm not going to link to him, but the armor you have pictured is made by Malmey studios. Google them and I'll bet you can get one of theirs.

Great man thanks for the heads up...

I applaud the more original route you're taking. I prefer to see people do their own take, we already know what he movie looks like, why do we need to see more copies? Go for it, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I applaud the more original route you're taking. I prefer to see people do their own take, we already know what he movie looks like, why do we need to see more copies? Go for it, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Yeah thats my opinion as well...so many people do movie builds cosplay is saturated with it...theres no much resource to choose from, so much originality to be made...

Hopefully I can pull it off...thanks for the support :)

So started working on the armor prices for this costume...mostly because I am going to MCM Comic Con in Liverpool next Sunday and I want to wear it, just waiting on the plastidip to arrive then I can paint and assemble...

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Yeah sorry took a back burner due to life events...mostly finished just some tweaking to do...I am planning on finishing it so will post final pics once I'm done :)

Heres some update pics:

cap1.jpgcap2.jpg

The straps are real US Army WW2 straps, cut and atatched to the buckle I purchased from someone on eTsy...

Just got to add the 3d printer AoU Star to the center and add some shading and what not to the upper body armor, ive also decided to add in shin guards...

Some pics from a recent convention I attened waring some of the costume:

IMG_1111.JPGIMG_1112.JPG

:)

Looking good Cap! And I see you met up with Dave the USAgent.

thanks :) still some way to go to have it finished, I’ve also been training and lifting weights to try and get a better physique...hopefully should finish it soon...

Haha yeah US AGENT was jealous of my shield!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back