The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

You're right-- the V3 showed a fair amount. But it was the hero that was used as the model for toys and replicas. I don't think it's a coincidence they were the only two kicking around the archives.

Here's the book I refer to... (it's in-universe and terrible and uses the worst versions of any saber with multiple props.

8D70F180-19F7-4472-B64A-2A60BC480B1E.jpegI'm 9C766C60-1B46-4D7C-962B-473E13AA3CF1.jpeg

You're right-- the V3 showed a fair amount. But it was the hero that was used as the model for toys and replicas. I don't think it's a coincidence they were the only two kicking around the archives.

Here's the book I refer to... (it's in-universe and terrible and uses the worst versions of any saber with multiple props.

View attachment 814564I'm View attachment 814565

They just released the 'canon' update to that book. Haven't checked it out yet but I'm guessing it's just as bad.

View attachment 814564I'm View attachment 814565

I'm sure the story is around here on the RPF. But how did the V2 get "lost"? And where was it found at?

Just considering how beat up the V2 is, with the dented emitter and all, I don't think they would have used that saber anyways.:confused

I imagine it was like all the other stuff that winds up in personal collections: someone working on the film just walked off with it when it wrapped and, tying in with the second most popular story with these things, it then remained in storage for years because no one really knew that it'd be worth anything beyond their own emotional attachments.

I wonder if it was Howard Kazanjian's at any point. From the episode of Pop-Culture Quest, he seems to have amassed a lot of stuff from RotJ.

Last edited:
I’m always surprised at this— couldn’t Lucasfilm technically claim it as stolen property?

I originally wondered that myself but depending on the parts of the world you live in, there's a time limit on pressing charges on certain types of theft. I imagine this might fall under that. Besides, you also gotta consider the bad press.

I'm sure it's a different story today after the wake Star Wars left but, back then, I'm certain it wasn't that big a deal since most stuff was destroyed after filming and what wasn't deemed important to bother archiving was gifted and forgotten about.

Honestly, who would've thought then that a maquette of Jabba the Hutt was gonna be worth anything, or a dinged up stunt prop Alec Guiness once used?

I’m always surprised at this— couldn’t Lucasfilm technically claim it as stolen property?

This is where it gets weird... there is a ANH R2d2 dome floating around over seas that was stolen from the set of ep1...

I don’t get how this works but lucasfilm doesn’t own those props, george Lucas does

And I guess at one time GL was trying to get this dome back because it goes up on different auction sites now and then

So I imagine all the other props from that time are his too?

But I don’t get how the lucasfilm archive works?

GL also has his own collection of props somewhere, which he will eventually put in his art museum

I have also heard other stories that Lucas doesn’t give a damn about the props, that’s why the ones found in the wild and resold he has done nothing about

But if that’s true... why has he tried to go after the ANH R2 dome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at my local Barnes and Noble store the other day. I found this cool Star Wars reference book. And on the section about lightsabers. They had a picture of a partially disassembled Obi-Wan ANH saber. It looked really good, so good I think they may have used a Roman Props Mk I.

So basically, an uber Visual Dictionary with the usual made up stuff. I see they are using the V3 for Luke’s saber.

Good lord Lucasfilm, give me an hour to organize your damn databse of images.

So basically, an uber Visual Dictionary with the usual made up stuff. I see they are using the V3 for Luke’s saber.

Good lord Lucasfilm, give me an hour to organize your damn databse of images.

But they are using what looks like Roman Props MK 1 as opposed to the Icons replicas, or ROTS saber. Though I have nothing against using the ROTS saber, just add a note saying so!

Quick question for you SethS. Have ever considered adding in your book where to pick up replica parts and complete sabers? So if there are people using your guide to help replicate a particular saber, they can follow a link or something to get some of the parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s not really keeping with the spirit of the book. While it can certainly be a guide for making a replica, the subject of the book is the details of the movie sabers. If one wants to use that info for making a replica, cool— but I stop short of being instructional or pimping any sellers outside of mentioning Roy, Roman, and Dan (who’s work was instrumental in learning about the original props.)

It’s also information I just don’t want to manage frankly— there’s so many people doing full on replicas or just singular parts, what they offer and when they offer it changes frequently. I don’t want to have to update the book constantly every time a new product or vendor comes out. Every time I publish it somebody will come out of the wood work and want to know if I can add their facebook page for the one thumbscrew they are selling— I just don’t want that hassle.

I know the graflex bank tries to cover all the Graflex replicas. That could also be a great thread (for somebody that’s not me) to make and manage here.

I originally wondered that myself but depending on the parts of the world you live in, there's a time limit on pressing charges on certain types of theft. I imagine this might fall under that. Besides, you also gotta consider the bad press.

Setting aside the "bad press" aspect - the statute of limitations shouldn't affect the original owner's ability to get the property back. The expiration of the statute of limitations only prevents the "thief" from being prosecuted for the crime of theft - it doesn't convert "stolen property" into "the thief's property". You'd still have a right to have "your" property returned to you on the grounds that it's still "your" property, even though you might not be able to press criminal charges against the thief. It's an age-old precept of property law that "a thief gains no title to the property he stole."

The only potential quirk here is that, where the law finds that the owner intentionally abandoned the property, the law will then say that the subsequent possessor of the property becomes the owner (on the rationale that the original owner made clear he didn't want it anymore.) So if there is some evidence, as intimated in some of these posts, that GL knew someone else had the props but didn't make enough of an effort to get them back, a court may well say that he abandoned them to the new owner. That's going to be a very fact-specific call, however.

M

Welp... the Vader saber rumor ended up being BS... but a lightsaber did make a cameo...

New edition now days away!

I can’t say BS, I think people were under the wrong impression. That bad guy revealed at the end probably had a hidden name, or just a number as a title to avoid leaks

When this person who handled the Lightsaber saw it he put two and two together thinking he had the answer, but was why off

I can see where he said it had bunny ears, since the saber does technically have bunny ear style hand guards.

I can’t wait for someone to do a run of them, I’ve wanted that saber since we saw it a while ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So back on May the 4th I got a copy of the book SethS was talking about. And while it is inaccurate when concerning the props, it's non the less interesting. For those interested in lore of the universe. Dual phase sabers with multiple focusing crystals is still a thing. And color changing lightsabers are also a thing.

Secondly, the book has great pictures of some of the props. Such as elusive Darth Maul based youngling training saber. As well as the mysterious 'dark' Obi-Wan saber from Revenge of the Sith. It also shows the prequel "clan" sabers weren't all shiny new, but were lightly weathered.

All in all an interesting book.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back