The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

There actually is a faint ridge right where tape would be - near the center of the clamp bar. are these post - ANH filming shots or before?
Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 6.48.29 PM.png

Yeah-- promo shots with the reversed clamp. But I see a raised edge too.

And don't get me going on how the bubbles look to be on top of the clamp in the blue background pic.

Wow Roy! I have never seen this pic. If nothing else, it's pretty obvious those are black/dark. I can't tell on my monitor about screw/rivets. Anyone else?

I swear I see screws, black screws. Rivet heads are flat and these clearly have higher domes!

I'd say black screws with 85% certainty....

...on the prop in this image anyway. :)

I feel like they are screws, silver in some scenes, black in others. They were either painted and worn from handling, or shot as silver in some scenes, and painted to be less eye-catching at some stage.

EDIT: Roy's second post:

like a 1 inch chrome tape maybe?
The screws on the ranch Saber were black cross-headed screws for sure so why wouldn't these be? Honestly, rivets are too flat against the surface too be it, while the Allan screws have a little bit of height to them which is what's seen in the pictures. I know we've mentioned Allen screws before, and that's what I use on my hero saber, but has anyone thought about the fact that maybe, over time, the screw hole on the screw head got stripped and weathered to being nearly a perfect circle? Just a thought.

I've been looking at some more vintage photos and they made me think. It is always assumed that the Graflex clamp in A New Hope was not covered with tape (even though Roger Christian says he did, but we always like to think that he mixes up ESB with ANH). But is there any clear proof or screen caps with the logo visible? Maybe I stir up an ancient consensus, and I apologize for my ignorance perhaps, but I've never seen any images to show it.
If I look at these images, I'd say you would be able to see the Graflex logo. But instead, I even believe I can see the chrome tape on the clamp.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/07026c38ebd83da518ed357fb7b8d391.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/f169ddaa82579a76e0c1e8ca902b98ec.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/49b8edd47a84f2c8107abeabfacf4034.jpg

What if he covered the entire clamp in tape? A redditor posted this image recently, taken during filming, and I swear the clamp looks chrome all over. Much shinier than the rest of the flash.

er3ok0jf059y.jpg

Interesting!
But I don't think it's clamp wide: you can see the two rectangular holes right on the edge. If they were covered they wouldn't be visible from this angle.

If I were covering a clamp in tape, I'd cut out those openings... Though as the Graflex clamp was not yet iconic in '77, who knows what someone from back then would do.

One reason I'm wondering is the old theory that the Obi-Wan clamp was covered in peeling chrome tape. Whatever happened to that idea?

The screws on the ranch Saber were black cross-headed screws for sure so why wouldn't these be? Honestly, rivets are too flat against the surface too be it, while the Allan screws have a little bit of height to them which is what's seen in the pictures. I know we've mentioned Allen screws before, and that's what I use on my hero saber, but has anyone thought about the fact that maybe, over time, the screw hole on the screw head got stripped and weathered to being nearly a perfect circle? Just a thought.

All possible. Just playing devil's advocate though, we know the ranch saber had work done on it AFTER filming was complete, so there's no positive way to say the screws weren't added then. That was the consensus for a very like time. (And still gospel to the rivet-heads :) )

What if he covered the entire clamp in tape? A redditor posted this image recently, taken during filming, and I swear the clamp looks chrome all over. Much shinier than the rest of the flash.

View attachment 701965

Not just the Obi-Wan hero in the Chronicles seems to show that... its on the clamp from the V3 as well.

263075e42873aae5549d78476868a17a.jpg

Zooming in on this one and brightening it up a bit shows no lettering on the clamp. But I can't see any tape edge either! Not like on the other promo photo.

Awesome!
This is great work for all of us.

So, would you please give me permission to translate this guide to my native language for all Japanese saber fans?
Of course It will be keep all contents and credits.

best regards,

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back